Proposal: Penguins-Islanders

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Not a chance in hell this happens you need a 3rd team involved.
Pittsburgh- Nelson,Bellows, Hainsey,Leivo
New York- Kessel, Carrick, 2019 2nd round pick
Toronto- Letang, Bailey

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Outside of Barzal and JT, the top scorers on the team are all 28 and their #1 D is 27. Outside of Barzal, their picks and prospects are years away and may be nothing more than busts like many many other Islanders 1st rounders (especially that these are mid round picks).

Therefore, the options are to sell everything and do a full rebuild which Lou doesn't appear to want to do signing multiple guys to long term deals this offseason, OR to add to the core if they believe Barzal is a true #1 C (which many do).

So if you make a deal like this, the Islanders have added a ton to their core that replaces JT and some, that is a playoff team.

But the Islanders have plenty of options available moving forward. You've narrowed it down to two:

1. Full rebuild, sell all the roster players.
2. Full Milbury, sell all the prospects.

I don't see teams like Detroit or Vancouver being given this "A or B" ultimatum of two wildly different extremes. Instead they're allowed to build and develop young talent, while occasionally moving expendable roster players (Tatar, potentially Tanev) if they get good return for them while keeping others.

So why do the Islanders have to pick "A or B" when both roads lead to forcing crappy trades that benefit teams other than the Islanders?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto- Letang, Bailey
Isles building around 21 yr old Barzal, are not trading 20 yr old Bellows for 30 something yr olds

I would rather have the offense that Bailey, Nelson and Bellows would combine for then trade the 3 for a scoring forward

Last edited:
Reactions: CRYHAVOC

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
But the Islanders have plenty of options available moving forward. You've narrowed it down to two:

I don't see teams like Detroit or Vancouver being given this "A or B" ultimatum of two wildly different extremes. Instead they're allowed to build and develop young talent, while occasionally moving expendable roster players (Tatar, potentially Tanev) if they get good return for them while keeping others.

So why do the Islanders have to pick "A or B" when both roads lead to forcing crappy trades that benefit teams other than the Islanders?

Difference is their older players are all in their 30's and not their primes.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
giphy.gif

Reactions: Monument

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Difference is their older players are all in their 30's and not their primes.

The only core players signed long-term in their "prime" on the Islanders are Leddy and Bailey.

Boychuk and Ladd are past their primes, Lee & Eberle are UFAs at the end of the year. The youth: Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock, are still being developed and should happily expect a talent influx from guys like Wahlstrom, Dobson, Sorokin, Ho-Sang, Bellows, etc.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Toronto- Letang, Bailey

I feel like this proposal has to be making fun of Leafs fans, because there's no way you can be serious with this.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
i have all the respect in the world for the penguins because they made it work with 2 highly paid superstars and won multiple cups by filling in around them over several years over a decade

their fans have every right to be proud but I seriously doubt they would expect another team would do this. its an affront to their hockey knowledge to think they would

we are two different teams on two different trajectories

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Please, a non-Islander fan, explain this to me:

Pre-Pajama Boy leaving, the narrative was something like:

The Islanders need to prove to Tavares they can contend. They need to trade their most valuable prospects and upcoming draft picks for talent now.

Which didn't happen. Pajama Boy left.

Yet I still see these threads where we're packaging upcoming 1st round picks with Bellows, Pulock, Dobson, Wahlstrom+ for veteran help. What's the narrative now? Why are we doing this?

I mean, are people asking Detroit to package Zadina+Veleno+Berggren+2019 1st for veteran help?

Is Vancouver being told to trade Boeser+Pettersson+Hughes+2019 1st for veteran help?

Why do those teams get to keep and develop young cores full of high-end prospects with the hope of turning into contenders a few years down the line, but the Islanders have to cash out on ours for Brassard or Trouba?

Pretty simple Code, people are tired of losing, now. Prospects don't help you win now. I think you already know the answer to the question. We are tired of sucking, that's all. I have mixed feelings about Trouba. Definitely don't want him without him agreeing to extend with us. Not every prospect is going to be Barzal and not every prospect is going to be MDC.

So I can see why Isles fans want to trade for him, and I can see why Isles fans want to roll with shiny prospects for long term success. This is going to be a brutal season if we go in as we are now. That's the only thing I know for sure.

Let's not forget that we've been hoarding prospects and being patient since God knows when, and this is what we have to show for it. Not all prospects are going to be better than current proven NHLers.

As for this OP's trade? Steering far clear of this one. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. These are not the droids we are looking for!

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
:pens

2019 1st round pick
2020 2nd round pick
Josh Bailey
Michael Dal Colle
Kieffer Bellows
Brock Nelson
Ryan Pulock

:isles

Derick Brassard
Phil Kessel
Kris Letang

Subtract the 2019 1st round pick, Bellows, Pulock from the Isles side and Letang (and his 40-50 games played per season) and Kessel. Brassard is 1 year away from UFA so asking for something substantial in return for him wont work. Nelson for Brassard would be a good starting piece for a trade however.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
How are you gonna ask for Derick Brassard, Phil Kessel, and Kris Letang, but not even include Barzal...

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
because codee, except for a scant few of us, Islander fans are idiots and the chickens have come home to roost.

it would be okay if our fans would see this and learn from it but you well know most wont

Ive long since given up on our fanbase, this proposal is an insult and youd think every islander fan would rise up and say so, but no its the same few fans defending the team, instead of everyone of them

Which Isles fan has been in favor of this deal? I'm starting to think you just like climbing up on your soapbox.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I have to say, I came into this thread expecting to see a proposal of Pittsburgh futures for Islanders players to help their rebuild and us win now. Not the opposite.

And while I get why there's a case for NYI looking to speed up the rebuild a little to make the next few years less painful, this surely goes too far at too much cost.

As for the Pens - it's just not very attractive at all.

Reactions: domaug

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Bunch of nothing for 3 good players.

a Top RHD and a top RWer for picks and useless players like Dal colle and Nelson isn't even close to fair.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Bunch of nothing for 3 good players.

a Top RHD and a top RWer for picks and useless players like Dal colle and Nelson isn't even close to fair.

none of the players the Islanders receive are goig to help us when we are ready to compete, the deal may not be ideal for the penguins but it is far worse for the Islanders

3 players who will all be 31 by the time next season begins. they fit the core in Pittsburgh, but they have no use for the Islanders whatsoever

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
none of the players the Islanders receive are goig to help us when we are ready to compete, the deal may not be ideal for the penguins but it is far worse for the Islanders

3 players who will all be 31 by the time next season begins. they fit the core in Pittsburgh, but they have no use for the Islanders whatsoever

It's by far worse for Pittsburgh.

Islanders get 3 very good players. Pens get nothing...I guess Josh Bailey is good....but not Kessel or Letang worthy.

Islanders can atleast flip Letang,Brassard and Kessel for very good young peices. So...in the emd you would get players that fit your core....while the Pens have...Brock Nelson..

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
hell no we couldnt get young assets to fit our core for those three, they are valueless to us

I wouldmt give up any of the first second Bellows or Pulock alone for all three of Letang, Brassard and kessel combined

thats 17M in cap hits for less than 3M, they have a negative value to us, we are rebuilding,why would we want 3 old expensive declining players. take out your own trash

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

I completely agree with and understand the point, I just wouldn't have used Detroit or Vancouver as examples. They're about as full rebuild as as they come, while the Islanders are a middling team that could go either way with a few moves. The moves Lou has made says that he wants to compete, not rebuild, so I can see why outsiders would think the Islanders want to compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad