Rumor: Penguins interested in Jack Johnson

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Expect Jack Johnson to get a long look from Penguins in free agency

As the cash-strapped Penguins look to address their blue line, a familiar name has emerged as a potential fit and someone the organization plans to seriously consider: Jack Johnson. A longtime Columbus Blue Jacket, Johnson, 31, will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, and multiple sources confirmed to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Penguins have discussed the possibility of acquiring the veteran defenseman.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I like it. Except our top 4 is set so seems like a lot of money for a 5/6 D man. Maybe Maatta gets traded for a forward or a 1st?

I would like to explore one of Johnson, CDH, or Moore in free agency.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Strapped for cash, all their most talented players are aging... better add a 31 year old defenseman.

Is their GM even slightly worried about the future of the team?

I don't see how signing Jack Johnson is a sign that the Penguins don't care about the future. It's not like they're trading Guentzel for Johnson.

I like it. Except our top 4 is set so seems like a lot of money for a 5/6 D man. Maybe Maatta gets traded for a forward or a 1st?

I would like to explore one of Johnson, CDH, or Moore in free agency.

Johnson probably wouldn't be a top-4 defenseman here, he'd probably be replacing Hunwick on the bottom pair. He'd most likely get a 1 year "prove it" deal and try to do what Schultz did in 2016-2017, which got him a huge contract extension.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Strapped for cash, all their most talented players are aging... better add a 31 year old defenseman.

Is their GM even slightly worried about the future of the team?
Johnson is good though, it doesn’t matter his age. As long as it isn’t like 7 year contract that looks like Seabrooks, I think he’s a good add.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Jack Johnson and the Penguins have something in common then.

Too soon.

But in all seriousness, a one year prove it deal would probably work for both sides. Obviously Johnson would rather have a long term deal, but I'm not sure how many multiyear offers he'd get right now. Not sure how close they are now, but Johnson and Crosby were close friends back in their days at Shattuck's.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Too soon.

But in all seriousness, a one year prove it deal would probably work for both sides. Obviously Johnson would rather have a long term deal, but I'm not sure how many multiyear offers he'd get right now. Not sure how close they are now, but Johnson and Crosby were close friends back in their days at Shattuck's.

He can also look at the Penguins track record of rehabilitating similar defenseman to him (like Schultz, Daley and Niskanen) and conclude that a 1 year deal may give him that long term deal next offseason. I think the absolute most he'd be offered this summer is like 3 years at $4 million, I think that's his absolute ceiling after the season he had last year.

Johnson and Crosby are also apparently still really close, so that's a factor too.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Jack Johnson has to be just about the worst defenseman at playing defense who plays regular top-4 minutes in the entire league...and I really don't say things like that for the hell of it or for "hot cakes" or whatever...he has horrific hockey sense. He's basically a power forward that plays defense. Absolutely no interest in him for any dollar figure/term...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't see how signing Jack Johnson is a sign that the Penguins don't care about the future. It's not like they're trading Guentzel for Johnson.

Johnson probably wouldn't be a top-4 defenseman here, he'd probably be replacing Hunwick on the bottom pair. He'd most likely get a 1 year "prove it" deal and try to do what Schultz did in 2016-2017, which got him a huge contract extension.

It's just another player in the same age bracket as the vast majority of their current talent. It doesn't take away from their current pool, but I'd think they'd be looking to add to it at some point. Just so weird that almost all of their talent is around 30, and then they add Brassard, maybe Johnson. Meanwhile Sprong is PPG in the Ahl and doesn't get a chance. Been to the top of the mountain twice very recently, I'd think they'd start to be considering who the next core might be and how they'll acquire them.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We have no D prospects so it's not like Johnson would be pushing a young guy out of a roster spot. Though I'm not crazy about signing him and I think he'll go for the deal with the most guaranteed money given his financial woes, and someone will outbid the Penguins.

Sprong should be on the team in October.

Reactions: haveandare

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's just another player in the same age bracket as the vast majority of their current talent. It doesn't take away from their current pool, but I'd think they'd be looking to add to it at some point. Just so weird that almost all of their talent is around 30, and then they add Brassard, maybe Johnson. Meanwhile Sprong is PPG in the Ahl and doesn't get a chance. Been to the top of the mountain twice very recently, I'd think they'd start to be considering who the next core might be and how they'll acquire them.

They kinda already have that "next core", though. The Penguins aren't really that starved for young talent, all of Dumoulin, Guentzel, Rust, Sheahan, Sheary, Oleksiak, Sprong, Murray, Aston-Reese, Jarry, Maatta and Simon are 26 or younger right now. Their next core is the best players from that group, which would be Dumoulin, Guentzel, Rust, Murray, Maatta and Sprong if he develops as planned.

The Penguins aren't going to be a good team after Crosby and Malkin are done, but they probably will still have a mediocre team because their "2nd core" is filled with strong complentary players.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They kinda already have that "next core", though. The Penguins aren't really that starved for young talent, all of Dumoulin, Guentzel, Rust, Sheahan, Sheary, Oleksiak, Sprong, Murray, Aston-Reese, Jarry, Maatta and Simon are 26 or younger right now. Their next core is the best players from that group, which would be Dumoulin, Guentzel, Rust, Murray, Maatta and Sprong if he develops as planned.
IMO Rust is a quality player but nothing special and Matta is good and still young but he's already played 5 seasons without a big improvement, he might just be what he is right now.

Dumolin is good and Guentzel is great. Murray is also very good. But that's a single forward, a single d man and a goalie. Now they have all of those guys plus the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang, Brassard, etc. As a Ranger fan, I'm perfectly happy with them not being prepared for life after this core, but I'd think as a Pens fan I'd wonder when or if they're going to move guys like Letting, Kessel and Hornqvist for young talent. Sounds like Kessel could go sooner than later. I guess you don't really want to commit to giving up on this core too early, but I don't know, the cupboard looks pretty bare from an outside perspective.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
If you can find a way to make Hunwick's salary go away this seems plausible.

We already have almost $24mill (plus whatever Oleksiak gets) tied up in 7 Dmen for next year. You aren't going to want to go into the season with a 7th Dman making over $2mill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad