Salary Cap: Penguins in 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Hall would be a mistake. He needs to carry the puck on his line, which is why he hasn't clicked with McDavid.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why do so many people still want to cut bait with Cole? He sucked under Johnston (where his confidence got crushed by being forced on to the top pair), but he has played extremely well since Sullivan became coach. I honestly don't see a reason we need to move him.

It's less to do with how he's played then where he fits in and his cap hit. Would we save much if we dumped him and signed a UFA to replace him? Would depend on who. But for a 3rd pairing guy who's playing between 14 and 20 minutes a night (it really seems to vary - its either 13/14 or 18-20), we could probably find someone who doesn't cost 2.1m (or 4.85m in salary over the next 2 seasons).

With how he's been playing, do I think we must move him? Absolutely not. However he's still be pretty high on my list of players to move when looking at his usage, cap hit and the other D we have here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hall would be a mistake. He needs to carry the puck on his line, which is why he hasn't clicked with McDavid.

Yeah I've heard this too, we don't need another Kessel. Eberle, on the other hand, would be orgasmic to have here, but he's only a RW.

If Murray plays well in the playoffs when Fleury is out and Dallas offers the Pens Honka and Niemi for Fleury, what do you say?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As for Bones vs Fehr, it comes down to trade value vs role. I'd trade Bones if a team came calling and we could package him to get a top line LW'er. I'd trade Fehr if it was just for cap space purposes and promote Sundqvist.

I'm leaning towards keeping both depending on other options.

Yeah torn here. I like Fehr as a pure 3rd line center. He's big, good on draws and can play a shutdown role if needed. The biggest difference I see between him and Bonino is A) contract and B) that Bonino can be a passable short term #2C, where as I do not think Fehr could do the same. So while they both basically cost the same, Bonino is in for a raise of some sort on his next contract, while Fehr has that extra year left on his - which for us is a plus when you consider that many good #3Cs cost more than 2m.

Steel Winning

Philling The Net
Aug 4, 2015
If I were GM:
Kunitz for a 3rd
Fehr for a 3rd
Re-Sign Cullen
Re-Sign Schultz
Sign Backup Goalie not named Zatkoff

What would Fluery + Pouliot + 2nd + 3rd (from Kunitz) return at LW?

Hoffman would be fantastic, would that be enough?

He had 39 ES points (22 goals) last year, and has 37 this year (17 goals)
Likely will go to arbitration if Ottawa doesn't trade him

Hoffman - Crosby - Hornqvist
Wilson - Malkin - Sprong
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Kuhn - Cullen - Rust

Daley - Letang
Dumo - Schultz
Maata - Cole //near even split

Murray
XXXX

Last edited:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
We need to finally give the Plotnikov thing a rest.

He's a nothing player and his "treatment" by the Pens will have zero to do with whether or not some Euro defector would want to play for the Pens. The team is flying high now and has a vision and an identity. You think some hypothetical Panarin type won't want to join in on the fun with the type of style they're playing because of Plotnikov?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
What would Fluery + Pouliot + 2nd get for at LW?

He had 39 ES points (22 goals) last year, and has 37 this year (17 goals)
Likely will go to arbitration if Ottawa doesn't trade him

Hoffman is as good as gone.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

He's a nothing player and his "treatment" by the Pens will have zero to do with whether or not some Euro defector would want to play for the Pens. The team is flying high now and has a vision and an identity. You think some hypothetical Panarin type won't want to join in on the fun with the type of style they're playing because of Plotnikov?

Yeah I can admit to being wrong and I was dead wrong on Plots vs Kuhnhackl. Maybe Plots can be a player still, but he's been a possession guy that does pretty much nothing with that possession. I got too stoked by some youtube videos and JR's comments about him.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Exactly, thank you, thank you, thank you. I though I was going crazy.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If that defense isn't bad then Roy is worse than I thought and I've never seen their good games.

Yah, holden has been okay as their #4 nice puck mover, beachimen is a nice defense first guy who can move the puck, johnson is a good 2way defender, barrie is a top pair defender who isn't great defensively though, roy is just a bad coach tbh.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Would anyone else do this? He's a lefty, but I'm not sure if he has ever played LW before.

Maybe if it was a 1 yr 1m contract. But I have real concerns over how he'd fit in and his overall attitude. His skill is undeniable... but look at our group right now. Only a handful of our forwards are "skill" type players, and yet we're firing on all cylinders and just wrecking teams. So would someone with that skill be nice? Absolutely. And for the right price, I'd even take a shot at him. But if he's looking for 3-4m (which is likely), then I'm not so sure he's the guy I'd want to go after this summer. We can afford a 1-1.5m mistake. We would have a hard time affording a 3-4m mistake.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why?, eriksson has only 4 less points than stammer. Is stammer really worth 4 more million tha eriksson?

Simple answer - yes. Eriksson doesn't create offense and draw coverage the same way Stamkos does. He also doesn't score (or is the same threat to score) as consistently as Stamkos does. And he's what - 5 years older? GMs pay handsomely for guys who can put the puck in the net, and that's something that Stamkos has shown he can do on a consistent basis over his career. Do I think he's worth 9-10m? No, not really. But (if Kessel wasn't here and he would play on the wing) I'd happily pay him 8-9m.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
With the Plotkinov thing being so fresh, incoming foreign players will consider many different opinions to either begin or re-start an NHL career.

In the case of Radulov, he actually lives up to the cancer label that so many players have received, yet didn't really deserve. If this team couldn't handle James Neal's alledeged stand offish-ness, they would die alive from Radulov's attitude. There's literally zero chance Sullivan agrees to take on that character and Rutherford knows that. Not happening.

The D we just signed from the CR kinda dispels this does it not? I'm not saying that what happened with Plots wouldn't have an impact (I believe it does). But I think that impact is limited. Players will still look at things on a case by case basis, and I'm sure that them and their agents hear a lot more then what the media reports.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah I've heard this too, we don't need another Kessel. Eberle, on the other hand, would be orgasmic to have here, but he's only a RW.

If Murray plays well in the playoffs when Fleury is out and Dallas offers the Pens Honka and Niemi for Fleury, what do you say?

Just an FYI, under the proposed expansion rules, Honka would need to be protected. I'd rather get one of their F prospects. Or I'd make the deal bigger and send them DP and get a couple or one good F prospect out of them that doesn't need to be protected. But regardless of how Murray does over the coming weeks, if the league votes to expand, I would seriously consider something like this (even if it's Lethonen instead of Niemi).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What would Fluery + Pouliot + 2nd + 3rd (from Kunitz) return at LW?

Ottawa has 6.1m in salary tied up in Anderson and Hammond already (and 4.6m in 17/18). While MAF is younger and better, goaltending hasn't really been their issue overall. So I'm not sure why they would want to deal one of their top forwards for a goalie.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think you're right, I got my disposable AHL fighters mixed up. I feel shame.

Worth posting. He wrecked some other guy the same week, but I'm not sure of his name. Johnson Bradson or Brandon Johnson or something.

Edit: Scott Jackson. Video not on youtube any more.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Hall-Crosby-Eberle were amazing together. Hall could easily work with Crosby as we have seen already. But don't want him, we will have to gut our team for him. We also don't need anymore top end talents on the wing, we just need the right mix. Hall-Crosby-Kessel would be insane just by the look of the line though, probably will underwhelm though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not that I think for a second that Kunitz would waive his NTC to go to Edmonton - but if for some odd reason he did, would you do Kunitz + pick/prospect (3rd/BB) for Yakupov?

I do not have high hopes of Yakupov ever being what was projected when he was drafted, but I do think it's possible that he could turn things around and become a half decent top 6 option.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not that I think for a second that Kunitz would waive his NTC to go to Edmonton - but if for some odd reason he did, would you do Kunitz + pick/prospect (3rd/BB) for Yakupov?

I do not have high hopes of Yakupov ever being what was projected when he was drafted, but I do think it's possible that he could turn things around and become a half decent top 6 option.

Definitely not. Kunitz has more value than Yakupov at this point and Yakupov isn't a LWer. That's a really bad deal for us value-wise. If we're trading Kunitz to the Oilers, I'd want Pouliot back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad