OT: Penguins #IceBucketChallenge thread

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I really cannot understand the negative angle anyone plays on the Icebucket Challenge. It raises tons of money for an underfunded disease, creates awareness out of indifference, and creates a fun and easy way for people to contribute, participate, and interact.

Yet there are still complaints of "eehhh why do you have to waste water," "why don't you just donate instead of making a self-serving video," or "there are other charities out there."

I'm on HF boards as a Pens fan - so you know I can be cynical - but holy crap let ALS enjoy the spotlight it hasn't since its foundations began in the 1980s. There's better use of your time, I promise. Look at our top 6!

Results - they're worth the social media video trends.

Because a good portion of the people never actually donate any money. It's just a social media fad...

Yes it has raised money, i'm sure Mario is donating every last cent that he promised; however most of the people doing it I can assure you are not.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Because a good portion of the people never actually donate any money. It's just a social media fad...

Yes it has raised money, i'm sure Mario is donating every last cent that he promised; however most of the people doing it I can assure you are not.

its raised like 6 million dollars in the last 3 weeks. Even if some of the people don't donate, they are still spreading the message and the people who see theirs may donate. Its still a positive thing just to do it and post a video.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yes not everyone that participates donates. Yet donations during the period vs last year up an absurdly high level. So what's the problem? The challenge and videos are to spread awareness. Awareness leads to research. Research leads to people donating if they have the means and the desire to do so. The videos are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. So why complain?

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Yes not everyone that participates donates. Yet donations during the period vs last year up an absurdly high level. So what's the problem? The challenge and videos are to spread awareness. Awareness leads to research. Research leads to people donating if they have the means and the desire to do so. The videos are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. So why complain?

I'm not really complaining. It's great they are getting the money, I just think its sad that we need stupid mechanisms to get it.

It's a 'look at me' social media event for self absorbed people. However it is hard to complain because they are raising more money.

I guess its hard to explain my thoughts on why I dont like it....maybe the best way is that I think its sad most people are so self absorbed they do it to draw attention to themselves, not to actually raise money for a good cause. I'm generalizing a lot of people into one group and I know not everyone fits into that mold.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not really complaining. It's great they are getting the money, I just think its sad that we need stupid mechanisms to get it.

It's a 'look at me' social media event for self absorbed people. However it is hard to complain because they are raising more money.

I guess its hard to explain my thoughts on why I dont like it....maybe the best way is that I think its sad most people are so self absorbed they do it to draw attention to themselves, not to actually raise money for a good cause. I'm generalizing a lot of people into one group and I know not everyone fits into that mold.
I think you are wrong about most people.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Isn't that the point of almost any fundraiser? A group or organization isn't getting enough money, so they do something to put themselves out there and offer an exchange to people for their donation. Maybe it's a 5k (which people might not do unless they can make it a social event), maybe it's a concert (but people wouldn't buy tickets if it was a bad band), maybe it's a raffle (no one's going to participate unless it's some awesome autographed memorabilia), or maybe it's the ice bucket challenge.

I swear, some people would rather there be no ice bucket challenge and no money raised than to have both just to prove a point. And some of the most vocal people I know who say the whole thing is stupid are people I know for sure wouldn't donate a dime unless you robbed them. Get off your high horse.

Xavier Laflamme*

I'm also sick of seeing it plastered all over social media, however the stat that I recently saw in which it went from raising $1 million in so many weeks to $6 million over the last couple weeks after this trend has started is pretty eye popping. Plus why let something that is helping raise awareness for a horrible illness that a lot of unfortunate people are suffering with upset me? Complaining all the time is exhausting and annoying.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Isn't that the point of almost any fundraiser? A group or organization isn't getting enough money, so they do something to put themselves out there and offer an exchange to people for their donation. Maybe it's a 5k (which people might not do unless they can make it a social event), maybe it's a concert (but people wouldn't buy tickets if it was a bad band), maybe it's a raffle (no one's going to participate unless it's some awesome autographed memorabilia), or maybe it's the ice bucket challenge.

I swear, some people would rather there be no ice bucket challenge and no money raised than to have both just to prove a point. And some of the most vocal people I know who say the whole thing is stupid are people I know for sure wouldn't donate a dime unless you robbed them. Get off your high horse.

:handclap:

Well said

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
**** I just got nominated to do this ice bucket challenge.

So basically I dump a bucket of ice water on my head and try not to piss myself and nominate three other people who will instantly hate me, while everyone on my wife's Facebook laughs at me?

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
You could just donate and avoid all the trouble. It's kind of getting close to me (though I think my family and close friends know I would NEVER forgive them for challenging me) and my plan is to cop the **** out if I'm tagged.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
For the love of god, just donate. I don't even use facebook all that much anymore, and I'm about ready to delete my account from my entire timeline being everyone I know doing it.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
**** I just got nominated to do this ice bucket challenge.

So basically I dump a bucket of ice water on my head and try not to piss myself and nominate three other people who will instantly hate me, while everyone on my wife's Facebook laughs at me?

It takes about 2 minutes and there are tons of other videos out there, so I'm sure yours wouldn't be more embarrassing than all the others out there.

For the love of god, just donate. I don't even use facebook all that much anymore, and I'm about ready to delete my account from my entire timeline being everyone I know doing it.

"I don't use Facebook much, but I'm on it enough to realize my feed is clogged with ice bucket challenges." :laugh: sorry, had to get ya on that. They can't be any worse than pictures of kids, dogs, and engagement/wedding photos.

Like it or not the $ is in the videos.
If it were as simple as stay quiet and donate every disease or cause would have sufficient funding.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
"I don't use Facebook much, but I'm on it enough to realize my feed is clogged with ice bucket challenges." :laugh: sorry, had to get ya on that. They can't be any worse than pictures of kids, dogs, and engagement/wedding photos.

I use it maybe once a week to check up on old friends and PM them. So yeah, I use it rarely.

People can show their charity in different ways. My friends know I wouldn't be caught doing that. :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It takes about 2 minutes and there are tons of other videos out there, so I'm sure yours wouldn't be more embarrassing than all the others out there.

I didn't say I'd be embarrassed. I said "while everyone laughs at me". I'm used to that.

I've fallen in enough frozen (or not really) ponds to know what it feels like, so whatever I guess.

Stupid diseases.

Michael8771*

I didn't say I'd be embarrassed. I said"while everyone laughs at me". I'm used to that.

I've fallen in enough frozen (or not really) ponds to know what it feels like, so whatever I guess.

Stupid diseases.
I'm sure you are.:laugh::handclap:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I donated.

I went the same route as Charlie Sheen on this and donated, not as much obviously, the ice challenge is nice and all and a media sensation that is drawing attention, but donating will help even more when that sensation fades.

Michael8771*

I donated and am proud to do so. With the money I have and the success I've enjoyed in my life and business I felt it was the prudent thing to do. It's also a tax deduction, so yet another win-win scenario.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I donated and am proud to do so. With the money I have and the success I've enjoyed in my life and business I felt it was the prudent thing to do. It's also a tax deduction, so yet another win-win scenario.

It helps a good cause, whether it really helps or not, I don't want to be one of those people that only donates because it happened to someone in my family. Because it could, maybe not right now, but it could and attention needs to be brought to various diseases and ailments that need more attention like this.

The Ice Bucket Challenge on the surface, is getting a ton of media to it and what people have to remember is that a lot of people are also donating, but they just are not mentioning it, a few are though so at least people can hear them say it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Like Honour said, just because someone doesn't specifically say they are donating, it doesn't mean they aren't donating. An awful lot of people both donate and do the challenge.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What a lucid and profound comeback you have there. I'm almost impressed.;)

Well I was certainly more impressed when you called that Crosby trade out of the blue. I never saw it coming.

Like Honour said, just because someone doesn't specifically say they are donating, it doesn't mean they aren't donating. An awful lot of people both donate and do the challenge.

I just assumed people did both when challenged. One of the best campaigns I ever ran for my business was a viral campaign and I'm still making residuals off it 7 years later without lifting a finger on that campaign in a good 5 yrs. The net essentially takes word of mouth advertising and puts it on steroids. I read they made 23k last year at this time in donations, and now they are over 5m. So ya, it's working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad