OT: Penguins #IceBucketChallenge thread

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
My girlfriend's Aussie rules football team did this a couple of months ago. It was three buckets, not just 1 and it was either pay $10 and do the challenge while nominating someone else or pay $100 to get out of doing it. She had a friend's dad recently pass away from ALS, nice to see it spreading this much.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My girlfriend's Aussie rules football team did this a couple of months ago. It was three buckets, not just 1 and it was either pay $10 and do the challenge while nominating someone else or pay $100 to get out of doing it. She had a friend's dad recently pass away from ALS, nice to see it spreading this much.

Now that is awesome. :yo: That is how it's done. That's good to hear and thank you for sharing that.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Nice man, that is definitely the way to go and you guys are just regular guys (no offense), some hockey players didn't even donate $10. Thanks for sharing man :handclap::yo:.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
It's amazing how many people don't actually own a bucket. Dreger's daughter used a sauce pot. :laugh:

It was almost as sad as Despres' attempt.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Rob Rossi got challenged. By Sam Kassam/n and Michele Creicholo

I've probably butchered those names.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Mario challenged all Pens fans to this, are you guys going to do it or no? you got 24 hours and you need video proof. I ain't doing it.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Mario challenged all Pens fans to this, are you guys going to do it or no? you got 24 hours and you need video proof. I ain't doing it.

So tempted to start this on the Penguins Sub-Forum here. Got a huge bucket of ice to do it with from last nights party (which was pretty ****ing awesome).

Should I start it? It could get pretty funny.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I did it today, but because I was challenged by a friend. Didn't know Mario had challenged Pens fans. Had I known, I'd have included him in my video as being one of those that challenged me...

It was COLD...!!

icon6668

Jul 22, 2012

Yea over here in NZ it was similar, Donate $20 and chuck a ice water bucket over you then nominate 3 people. You can skip the challenge by donating $100 instead... It ended up turning into a bucket of ice then chug a beer as us kiwis love drinking.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I did it today, but because I was challenged by a friend. Didn't know Mario had challenged Pens fans. Had I known, I'd have included him in my video as being one of those that challenged me...

It was COLD...!!

ya mine was because of a friend. Mario cheated by challenging too many people. What a bum. Should have challenged Disco, Shero and Jagr.

And yes, it was cold.

VirginiaBob

TradingSystemsGroup
It is a great cause and all, but I can think of 1,000 other great causes that aren't getting this kind of support. This one appears to be media hype and nobody wants to be that celibrity that doesn't dump a bucket of ice over thier heads to show they are a good sport. For ALS, it kind of appears that it is getting it's due now so I feel less interested in donating towards it and more interested in donating to causes that aren't getting this kind of media acknowledment.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It is a great cause and all, but I can think of 1,000 other great causes that aren't getting this kind of support. This one appears to be media hype and nobody wants to be that celibrity that doesn't dump a bucket of ice over thier heads to show they are a good sport. For ALS, it kind of appears that it is getting it's due now so I feel less interested in donating towards it and more interested in donating to causes that aren't getting this kind of media acknowledment.

I wouldn't say it's getting it's due until we have real progress on research. Anyway, I agree there are many worthy causes. So let's get the media hype train after them. It obviously works.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Jesus Christ, Roberts. Now that's how you do the challenge.

809f17ed-644c-4ad1-ad70-80b8cadcdf16_thumb.jpeg

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA

I really cannot understand the negative angle anyone plays on the Icebucket Challenge. It raises tons of money for an underfunded disease, creates awareness out of indifference, and creates a fun and easy way for people to contribute, participate, and interact.

Yet there are still complaints of "eehhh why do you have to waste water," "why don't you just donate instead of making a self-serving video," or "there are other charities out there."

I'm on HF boards as a Pens fan - so you know I can be cynical - but holy crap let ALS enjoy the spotlight it hasn't since its foundations began in the 1980s. There's better use of your time, I promise. Look at our top 6!

ALS funding has collected over 5.5M since July 29th, compared to last years 32K in the same time frame, wow.

Results - they're worth the social media video trends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad