Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Letang waive his NMC. Look it is unlikely MAF waives his NMC. Why would he? He can get 8 million in a buyout and sign anywhere he wants. Letang is here and will never happen. Think about it. LV takes Letang and Pens have 26 million in cap room. Nice bucks to go after a D man. But correct, Letang is here and will be here playing for the next 4 years unless he is LTIR.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Letang waive his NMC. Look it is unlikely MAF waives his NMC. Why would he? He can get 8 million in a buyout and sign anywhere he wants. Letang is here and will never happen. Think about it. LV takes Letang and Pens have 26 million in cap room. Nice bucks to go after a D man. But correct, Letang is here and will be here playing for the next 4 years unless he is LTIR.

It's nice $ to go after a dman, which would be a better option if dmen anywhere near Letang's level actually made it to free agency. If you go out and spend the money to try to replace him in FA, the best you end up with is spending $6mm on Alzner or something which is a substantial drop-off on the ice for a small savings and we in no way have replaced the hole in our defense.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

This is absurd. Why on earth would Letang waive his NMC and even if he did, why wouldn't LV take him? If you want Shattenkirk, you better pay upwards of 7MM for him. Letang's at 7.25 and is a better all around dman.

Fleury is much more likely to waive his NMC, even if I think he might not do it, because there's only a few teams in the market for a starting goalie and LV is one of them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If a player is injured and not cleared to play, how would that player be eligible for the Expansion draft. Just curious, if say...Olli Maatta requires surgery in the off season or any of the Penguins do, would they be exempt or would the Vegas team still be allowed to pick them? I mean if they then say oh pending medical clearance, then that's after the fact and then what, the team would re-pick?

Just found it on the NHL's crappy website.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Now to figure out what is career threatening. I mean any surgery could potentially be career threatening unless its a minor broken bone procedure.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Sure a tweet said that but i'm taking that more as speculation then anything else. Could happen though, wont lose sleep over it.

Cool, wasn't sure the exact extent of the information. Just remembered seeing it in some context. If we start losing sleep over potentially losing guys like Byron, we're all in trouble..

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
If a player is injured and not cleared to play, how would that player be eligible for the Expansion draft. Just curious, if say...Olli Maatta requires surgery in the off season or any of the Penguins do, would they be exempt or would the Vegas team still be allowed to pick them? I mean if they then say oh pending medical clearance, then that's after the fact and then what, the team would re-pick?

Just found it on the NHL's crappy website.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Now to figure out what is career threatening. I mean any surgery could potentially be career threatening unless its a minor broken bone procedure.

It doesn't seem likely that that would be anything we would be able to think about applying to the current batch of injured players, but I'm sure it's going to be unnecessarily vague to possible cause confusion.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

1641751.main_image.jpg

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
He had 6g/15pts in 49 games while playing 20 minutes a night. But basically you summed it up at the end there. Maatta had at the time of that signing roughly 60 pts in 160 games. Not bad for a rookie who looked as good as he did in his first year and missed most of his 2nd year. At that time, everyone thought he would end up being a #2/3D - and perhaps even more. We now know it's most like a #4D (maybe a #3 if we're lucky). But that contract absolutely reflected some of the potential Pittsburgh though was there when it was signed. And I agree that Dumoulin doesn't exactly fall into the same boat. I mean the sum of his points over his entire career barely surpasses what Maatta did in his rookie season (30 vs 29 pts). And unfortunately for Dumoulin, that's going to affect his contract.

you guys seem to forget that Maatta had to spend the summer in the Finnish Army to do his required service.... He wasn't skating every day and working on his speed. I think his goal this year was to improve defensively... Ended up improving his IR numbers. He still has that offensive instinct. I think that you should give him another season before you consider trading him. You still see the flashes from him now and again, but he just seems to refuse to join the rush now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He's a 24 year old with wheels, skill, tenacity, smarts, great chemistry with Sid, and 39 points in 45 games.

Seems like he would be a great target for a long-term deal at 4 mil per. What other contracts would you prioritize over him?

He's earned it based on this one season...but I get so weary of giving 1 year wonders that kind of money. That's how you get Clarksons.

you guys seem to forget that Maatta had to spend the summer in the Finnish Army to do his required service.... He wasn't skating every day and working on his speed. I think his goal this year was to improve defensively... Ended up improving his IR numbers. He still has that offensive instinct. I think that you should give him another season before you consider trading him. You still see the flashes from him now and again, but he just seems to refuse to join the rush now.

No he didn't. He got out of it due to his recent injuries.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
RE: Either way on Maatta. Give him 1 more year.

Otherwise::::

I offered FA's absolute max offers I think the Penguins offer. Luckily most are RFA's and have less leverage. Therefore I think Sheary is around 3-3.3, Bonino 3.75-4, Dumo 4, Schultz 4.5-4.75(term)

UFAs: Hainsey bc GMJR connection, I could also see penguins offering 1M/1Yr deals to Kunitz. I know you all hate him but I feel like his style of play is needed against teams like NYR, PHL, WAS, CBJ, etc. His advanced stats aren't horrible and still at 10 goal scorer. Not bad for a STRICTLY 4th liner. I would take that over Kuhn.

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: J. Guentzel ($734,167) - D. Sprong ($692,500) - P. Kessel ($6,800,000) - P. Hornqvist ($4,250,000)
Centre: S. Crosby ($8,700,000) - E. Malkin ($9,500,000) - N. Bonino ($4,000,000) - O. Sundqvist ($1,125,000)
Leftwing: C. Sheary ($3,500,000) - C. Hagelin ($4,000,000) - B. Rust ($640,000) - S. Wilson ($625,000) - T. Kuhnhackl ($625,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: K. Letang ($7,250,000) - R. Hainsey ($3,000,000) - J. Schultz ($4,500,000)
Left: B. Dumoulin ($4,000,000) - O. Määttä ($4,083,333) - I. Cole ($2,100,000) - D. Pouliot ($800,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
M. Murray ($3,750,000) - T. Jarry ($630,833)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
NHL Salary Cap: $75,500,000
Cap Hit: $75,305,833
Cap Space: $194,167

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If you protect the following...

Forwards (7)
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Patric Hornqvist
Phil Kessel
Jake Guentzel
Connor Sheary
- Who is the 7th player you protect? Bryan Rust?

Defensemen (3)
Justin Schultz
Kris Letang
Brian Dumoulin

Goaltenders (1)
Matt Murray

Let's assume the Pens do pull off a block buster trade involving Olli Maatta, that 7th forward spot to use to protect a player could be that person, I mean yeah you risk losing Rust and Wilson, but I feel like Hagelin is the guy they would zero in on because of his speed, I also think McPhee would then acquire Fleury in a separate trade prior to the draft.

To me, I don't know if I want Brian Dumoulin or Olli Maatta on this defense going forward, but I feel like the easier move is Maatta because he's respected around the league for his potential and talent and even if we are down on the guy, it's not the same around the league, a team would be chomping at the bit to add a kid like him. Let's assume Sakic is still a massive idiot and in the off season, Duchene asks for a trade this time around because of the way Sakic handled it during the season...is he the hard target (insert Van Damme IceBerg joke)?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
RE: Either way on Maatta. Give him 1 more year.

Otherwise::::

I offered FA's absolute max offers I think the Penguins offer. Luckily most are RFA's and have less leverage. Therefore I think Sheary is around 3-3.3, Bonino 3.75-4, Dumo 4, Schultz 4.5-4.75(term)

UFAs: Hainsey bc GMJR connection, I could also see penguins offering 1M/1Yr deals to Kunitz. I know you all hate him but I feel like his style of play is needed against teams like NYR, PHL, WAS, CBJ, etc. His advanced stats aren't horrible and still at 10 goal scorer. Not bad for a STRICTLY 4th liner. I would take that over Kuhn.

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: J. Guentzel ($734,167) - D. Sprong ($692,500) - P. Kessel ($6,800,000) - P. Hornqvist ($4,250,000)
Centre: S. Crosby ($8,700,000) - E. Malkin ($9,500,000) - N. Bonino ($4,000,000) - O. Sundqvist ($1,125,000)
Leftwing: C. Sheary ($3,500,000) - C. Hagelin ($4,000,000) - B. Rust ($640,000) - S. Wilson ($625,000) - T. Kuhnhackl ($625,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: K. Letang ($7,250,000) - R. Hainsey ($3,000,000) - J. Schultz ($4,500,000)
Left: B. Dumoulin ($4,000,000) - O. Määttä ($4,083,333) - I. Cole ($2,100,000) - D. Pouliot ($800,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
M. Murray ($3,750,000) - T. Jarry ($630,833)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
NHL Salary Cap: $75,500,000
Cap Hit: $75,305,833
Cap Space: $194,167

Hainsey is a 100% no at $3mil as is Bonino at $4mil unless he turns in another similar playoff performance.

Forwards (7)
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Patric Hornqvist
Phil Kessel
Jake Guentzel
Connor Sheary

Defensemen (3)
Justin Schultz
Kris Letang
Brian Dumoulin

Goaltenders (1)
Matt Murray

Let's assume the Pens do pull off a block buster trade involving Olli Maatta, that 7th forward spot to use to protect a player could be that person, I mean yeah you risk losing Rust and Wilson, but I feel like Hagelin is the guy they would zero in on because of his speed, I also think McPhee would then acquire Fleury in a separate trade prior to the draft.

To me, I don't know if I want Brian Dumoulin or Olli Maatta on this defense going forward, but I feel like the easier move is Maatta because he's respected around the league for his potential and talent and even if we are down on the guy, it's not the same around the league, a team would be chomping at the bit to add a kid like him. Let's assume Sakic is still a massive idiot and in the off season, Duchene asks for a trade this time around because of the way Sakic handled it during the season...is he the hard target (insert Van Damme IceBerg joke)?

Guentzel and Sheary are exempt...?

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
You'd resign Bonino for 4mil? :amazed:

3.75 max. but I could see the team giving him 4. He is the best option out there unless you can trade for a young good 2/3C.... I think he gets more than 4 on open market because market is dry. He is really good on the PK and league leader by large mile in blocked shots. Offensively.... blah.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Schultz and Dumo because our defense already is a tire fire.

Lucky we don't have to choose because we'll have more than enough to sign all three.

He's earned it based on this one season...but I get so weary of giving 1 year wonders that kind of money. That's how you get Clarksons.

Clarkson was a slow 29 year old who signed for 5+ mil per after showing he could score in 1 out of 5 seasons.

Sheary's a fast 24 year old who we're speculating signing for 4 mil per after scoring well in 1 out of 2 seasons.

There's always risk involved, but there are a few key differences there.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I agree with your assessment of Sheary, but that is way too rich for this team. Especially with other contracts coming up. I guess if you get rid of Hagelin it'd be okay. If he will accept it, a bridge deal would be the best.

The only way Sheary will be cheap is if he signs a 1-2 year prove it deal. 1 year to prove what he did this year was legit. If he signs a 2 year, it's simply to get him to free agency. You want to get into the 3-6 year range, you're going to be pretty close to 4m.

What do you think Sheary gets if he goes out and does the exact same thing (or even very similar) he's currently on pace to do this year?

He's scored 18 goals and 39 points in 45 games. That's a 32.8 goal and a 71 point pace (65.6pts at ES). Panarin put up 70 points and received a 2x6m contract (that takes him to FA). Do you really think that Sheary wouldn't get something in the 5m+ range as a FA (or even an RFA) if he repeats what he's done this year next year? Ottawa got a steal of a deal paying Hoffman 2m last year because they were not sure whether he could repeat what he did the year before. He did, and signed a 4x5.1m contract.

Basically, if we want Sheary even halfway cheap, we need to take some risk - especially if we want him longer than 2 years.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You'd resign Bonino for 4mil? :amazed:

If the term was really short (1 MAYBE 2 years) I probably would as well (that said I doubt he'd sign that). Even as poor as he's been, we're going to need a body in there for next season. And if I had the option of signing Bonino for 1 year or going into the poor FA well, I'd hold my nose and sign Bonino, then pray that other options came along the following season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Forwards (7)
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Patric Hornqvist
Phil Kessel
Jake Guentzel
Connor Sheary

Guentzel and Sheary are not eligible to be drafted, and thus do not need to be protected.

Personally, I'd replace them with Rust and Sundqvist. The 7th F is ideally one we acquired by trading Maatta.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
+1 what Riptide said and I'd rather take the gamble on him long term and cheap-ish as I think its more likely he continues in a similar vein than bombs to the point where he's a millstone contract. Its not even like this is entirely a one season wonder thing either, he performed decently at the end of last season

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The highest I would go with Bonino is offer him first class for his flight out of town to his new contract by a team that will regret it for 70% of the season or if they miss the playoffs, 100% of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad