Post-Game Talk: Penguins/Flyers - Plus, Minus, Defense, & Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
First and foremost - This team is going to have A LOT of growing pains w/ a new system. We are 5 games in. Calm the **** down. Settle down and watch what happens over 60+ games before judging.

Plus

+ Sid/Horny: Man their chemistry and tenacity are a thing of beauty. I'm running out of words and we are 5 games in the season. They play so fast and furious as if the game will end their lives. :laugh: That's just an exagerated way of saying they play hard every night and you can tell they enjoy playing on the same line.

+ Hornqvist: The guy is everything this team has DESPERATELY needed. Hustle, hard work, tenacity, dedication, consistency. This guy never stops. He plays as if his last shift is taking place. I can't give the guy enough love.

+ Toughness: I saw a different team this game. They are doing the right kind of toughness against the Flyers. They also have the personnel to back it up. It just feels different. I like it.

+ Comeau: I definitely like what he brings to this team. Any position he's put in, he plays well. He's physical and gives us grit exactly when we need it. I didn't think much of the signing at first but definitely enjoy it now.

+ Strategy: We got a powerplay early on simply by line matching. That was something DB didn't believe in. How ****ing stupid is that?

Minus

- For not playing in a week and the Flyers playing last night, we sure did lack tenacity/legs/hustle. The flyers just flat out wanted it more. No killer instinct at all. Puck support/legs were not there. Embarrassing effort.

- Fleury: Good lord. What an adventure it is with him in net. He's flopping, out of position, and loses his stick just about every shift. He can make one hell of a save but I want him to just be consistent. We will never get that w/ MAF. He's quite a joke at this point. Most importantly - his inability to stop dump-ins is terrible for our defense. We NEED that support to break the puck out. Instead they have to grab it from the corner because Fleury can't do ****.

Here is the one major point I want to make: I am okay with giving up goals that are not his fault. He needs to stop flopping around making the big save. It's not working. He gives us 3 or 4 easy ones in order to make one huge save. He's a joke.

- Scuderi: He's on a new level of bad. Even surpassed that of Craig Adams. He literally cannot do anything out there and is dragging his d-partners down. All he does is lie there on the ice hoping that his stick will magically intercept a pass. He loses every battle, can't make a pass, never can throw a puck on net, and he turns the puck over every shift. He needs off this team. Immediately. This is one of the worst Shero signings of all time. Scuderi is TERRIBLE.

- Sutter: I'll give him a pass, maybe? He's been insanely good since the deadline last year. Tonight he just wasn't even there. He skated slower than Craig Adams, was weak on the puck, and couldn't pass to Dupers/Geno to save his life. Oh well - **** happens.

- Kunitz: No words. Awful game. Throw Letang in this, too.

- Defense: Once again we stand around in the d-zone and refuse to finish hits/support. Our d-zone needs a lot of help. Ehrhoff, Martin, Scuds, & Letang all look bad. They all look bad. We are just standing around too much. I will put 50% of the blame on the scheme and 50% on the players. I will wait til March to really harp on it. I believe Johnston will adapt and adjust.

This is one of the biggest weaknesses right now. Transition defense and defensive zone tactics. We really need some help and tenacity.

- Growing pains of support breakout: They haven't found their niche yet. Each game, even in their dominant performances, have shown lackluster in support/chemistry. They will need to work on that and we already figured that aspect out.

penguins2946*

Letang looked like garbage. We will never win anything with Fleury, he's a tumor that people somehow think will fix itself. I feel like dumping Fleury should have been done before firing Bylsma. Ehrhoff looked bad as well.

Sid looked good, even though he didn't get on the scoresheet.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not worried.

I don't fault Fleury for tonight but it was just such a typical performance by him again. Looking forward to seeing Greiss. My body is ready.

darkbrew*

Comeau was good, and Downie was servicable. Maataa was OK.

Erhoff looks awful. Maybe we made a mistake picking up a guy from such a junk team that he just cant hack it anymore when its serious.
Letang looks even worse. He doesn't even look like the freak athlete of before his injury, just braindead.
Crosby looked invisible all game which is rare.
Fleury is probably the worst starter in the NHL.

Hornqvist may look good, but is it worth Malkin having absolutely nobody to pass to? I rather Crosby with Dupuis for 10 more years than Malkin being Sutters wing, making them both look stupid in roles they shouldn't be in.

Give me back NEAL.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Letang looked like garbage. We will never win anything with Fleury, he's a tumor that people somehow think will fix itself. I feel like dumping Fleury should have been done before firing Bylsma. Ehrhoff looked bad as well.

Sid looked good, even though he didn't get on the scoresheet.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. For the first time this season that line looked like it was afraid to go to the net.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
Never liked either the Kunitz or Letang extensions. That money can be spent in ways that can better the team more than those two do. Kunitz will go on a streak in about a month or so, and then fizzle out again. Hoping Beau can stay healthy when he comes back and some trades happen sooner rather than later. Shero's legacy still hurting.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We made a nice splash to get a guy we needed on offense. He's paying huge dividends. It's time we do the same on defense. I'm completely fine with losing a big name to get a change of pace. Scuds absolutely needs to go. Martin can go too if he doesn't want to re-sign.

penguins2946*

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. For the first time this season that line looked like it was afraid to go to the net.

Sid looked good defensively even though he wasn't scoring. The line not producing and Kunitz looking dreadful doesn't change that Sid didn't play bad.

All this season has showed me is that Maatta is the D that will be our franchise D, not Letang. If Letang keeps up his play, he might be gone sooner than later.

Xavier Laflamme*

This entire game was a minus.

We managed to make a horrible Flyers team with possibly the worst defense in the NHL look like a legit Cup contender.

Coaching is another minus. We had no answer for that god awful team. Couldn't get possession in their zone and continually gave them odd man breaks..

MAF needs to go. Not even counting the goals he gave up tonight, he just flops around like a fish with no positioning out there and continually plays the puck when he knows he's awful at it. He has lost all confidence I ever had in this guy and I pray that Greiss steps up as our number 1 this year because Fleury is that bad.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Geno get's a huge minus from me. Looked lazy on back checks and blew his assignment on the 1st goal. Had he not drilled that puck into Emery and actually hit the empty net the Pens win this game.

- MAF was bad but I highly doubt Greiss would have won this game.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
+ Crosby/Hornqvist
+ secondard scoring specifically Comeau-Goc-Spaling

-Ehrhoff
-Martin
-Letang
-Scuderi
-Despres
-Kunitz
-Sutter-Malkin-Dupuis - I don't know if they were taking long shifts or what
-HCMJ and the coaching staff - the strategy was not right on the PP and at 5v5 after the first 5 min. The coach couldn't find a way to adapt until too late. Simply clogging the neutral zone killed his breakout and puck retrieval in the defensive end looks like ass.
-Fleury

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My only question about the coaching is simply adjustments. Letang was on the PK and looked good in comparison to Scuds this game. The other thing though, is Letang looked great with Martin in the playoffs, pretty good with Erhoff in the preseason, and now he is playing with Maatta? Malkin gets put in the face-off and we immediately score a goal. After the goal, Sutter is centering him? That is what is bothersome in this loss.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
+The bottom six

This is the game that I expected to start the season with, somehow. Not a lot of things going right system-wise here. The Devi- I mean, Flyers really took care of the NZ.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Liked Downie's game a lot. Sid was great early. Maatta solid.

Fleury, Despres and Letang were the three worst players for either team, in that order. Letang flushed our first power play down the toilet with poor decisions on the breakout. That penalty was the best play Des made all night. And I dunno wtf that was from flower.

Too much ripping the coaching staff in the gdt, and for really stupid reasons, IMO.

Oh well, Wings next.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
No words can describe how embarrassing this team played tonight. Like wow...Flyers D are not supposed to play solid, they are swiss cheese.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Cole, it is inevitable in any sport and in any city that a new coach in some measure will be compared to his predecessor. Ergo, when Johnston does Bylsma like things that make a lot of us say 'WTF', the natural instinct is to view things through Bylsma colored glasses. One way for the new coach to counter that is to recognize and try to right something that isn't working. Kunitz is doing as much to slow down Sid and Horny as the other team. Sutter centering Malkin just leaves Malkin in neutral. Gifting Letang AND Kunitz BOTH top PP spots, no matter what they do (or don't). Systemic things can be addressed and, as you said, should be analyzed after like 60 games. BUT, being a good bench boss. Either you are or you aren't. Johnston may be better than Bylsma in that regard, but that's not exactly the measuring stick I'd hoped to be using for Johnston two months ago.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I don't know how Sid gets a plus, he was invisible after the first period against a dreadful defense.

-Defense
-Top 6
+Bottom 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad