News Article: Penguins extend qualifying offers: Pettersson, ZAR, Blueger, Johnson and Blandisi

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
He's a lot more productive, he can skate, and he hasn't stuck around for nearly as long past his best-before date.
And he's been deployed in a reasonable manner for his skill set. Unlike Adams on the top line, or his 2:30 long pk in the playoffs because apparently an exhausted Adams is better than the rest of the pkers on that team. And his coffee was overrated.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Adams and Glass was like having a Garrett Wilson on each wing for 82 games and at least 10 minutes per night.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Cullen was still better last year than Adams ever was for us. He's just not as good as Blueger.

He was pretty Adams-esque last year man. Also for the Wild. The coaches squeezed just about every last drop of utility out of him vs Nashville. It was the perfect time to hang them up.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He was pretty Adams-esque last year man. Also for the Wild. The coaches squeezed just about every last drop of utility out of him vs Nashville. It was the perfect time to hang them up.
he still outproduced Adams' best season with us last year. In the two years you're saying Cullen was done he still scored as many goals as Adams scored in 6 years with the Pens. Cullen hasn't dipped close to Adams levels.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
he still outproduced Adams' best season with us last year. In the two years you're saying Cullen was done he still scored as many goals as Adams scored in 6 years with the Pens. Cullen hasn't dipped close to Adams levels. There's not a single thing that Penguins Adams ever did better than 2019 Cullen.

Yes, Craig Adams always sucked, and Cullen sucked the last two years too being just too old :dunno: maybe not to the same extent offensively but he certainly wasn’t good unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
:sueme:

Yes, Craig Adams always sucked, and Cullen sucked the last two years too being just too old :dunno: maybe not to the same extent offensively but he certainly wasn’t good unfortunately.
I really disagree. Adams legit sucked. He was a detriment every time he was on the ice the last few years. Cullen was a perfectly capable generic 4th liner the last 2 years. We were just used to him being a legit game changer and one of the best 4th liners in the league.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I really disagree. Adams legit sucked. He was a detriment every time he was on the ice the last few years. Cullen was a perfectly capable generic 4th liner the last 2 years. We were just used to him being a legit game changer and one of the best 4th liners in the league.

I’m comparing Cullen to Adams at his best, who still sucked, not Adams who should have retired after 2012.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I’m comparing Cullen to Adams at his best, who still sucked, not Adams who should have retired after 2012.
I'm saying Cullen at his worst as a Penguin was still clearly better than Adams at his best as a Penguin. He was still a better skater and better offensively, while being just as good or better at everything else too. Either way, it doesn't really matter. We agree we shouldn't bring him back.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I didn't mean the offensive production, though I guess that plays with the fans, I just meant that they are both overused in their last few seasons and preventing younger, cheaper options from taking over. :laugh: Anywho, I'm kinda sorry I brought it up, wasn't trying to troll.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It amazes me that JR is still pursuing Cullen...why? ...thank him for the years and let him go...we have Blueger ready to play 4C at half his age...

I told my father when we saw JR elected to the hall of fame today that he played NHL as well.

Except that he played goalie without a mask. Then I remembered that was actually EJ.

A shame, as it would have explained so much regarding the decision making the last couple of years.

Reactions: Al Smith and Andy99

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Honestly, I wouldn't mind Cullen back as a 13F at league minimum in a mentoring role. But we know he doesn't want to sit and we know the coaches won't want to keep him out of the lineup. Plus, our cap situation might necessitate only carrying 12F's for a stretch so I think this is the end.

Plan C, tell him to work out and rest up and maybe we'll sign him in December for the stretch run depending on injuries and whatnot.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I didn't mean the offensive production, though I guess that plays with the fans, I just meant that they are both overused in their last few seasons and preventing younger, cheaper options from taking over. :laugh: Anywho, I'm kinda sorry I brought it up, wasn't trying to troll.

I guess Cullen returning in 16-17 was bad news for Sundqvist, but Sundqvist still legit lost out to rugged Carter Rowney that season as well, so I'm quite glad that we had Cullen then. Blueger made it regardless, largely because he didn't lose out to Derek Grant. Who else did he block? Dea?

This is probably a good time to say goodbye though unless he's okay with being a 13th forward.

edit: p.s. I still think there's a good chance they're trying to make Blueger 3C before very long and that this might be part of that thinking.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I told my father when we saw JR elected to the hall of fame today that he played NHL as well.

Except that he played goalie without a mask. Then I remembered that was actually EJ.

A shame, as it would have explained so much regarding the decision making the last couple of years.
the mask he used protected against cuts, and not much else so your still good.:laugh:

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Also, I don't want to see Palve stuck in the 13F slot if it can at all be avoided. Riikola sure could have benefited from some WBS time last season when he was stuck in the press box.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Honest question, why do people like Cullen more than they liked Craig Adams?

Because he has been a GREAT player for us more often than not and seems to be a better person.
Adams outside of the cup-run, which he arrived for as a deadline pickup, was a mostly terrible player who exemplified a lot of what was wrong with our 4th line for years and required Malkin breaking his face to wake the organization up to his presence being untenable.

You might as well ask why people like chocolate fudge over shit in a cup.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Well . . . There probably was a time that JR played without a mask so your underlying premise may be correct. I think Andy Brown was the last Pens goalie to go maskless.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because he has been a GREAT player for us more often than not and seems to be a better person.
Adams outside of the cup-run, which he arrived for as a deadline pickup, was a mostly terrible player who exemplified a lot of what was wrong with our 4th line for years and required Malkin breaking his face to wake the organization up to his presence being untenable.

You might as well ask why people like chocolate fudge over **** in a cup

:laugh:

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I guess Cullen returning in 16-17 was bad news for Sundqvist, but Sundqvist still legit lost out to rugged Carter Rowney that season as well, so I'm quite glad that we had Cullen then. Blueger made it regardless, largely because he didn't lose out to Derek Grant. Who else did he block? Dea?

This is probably a good time to say goodbye though unless he's okay with being a 13th forward.

edit: p.s. I still think there's a good chance they're trying to make Blueger 3C before very long and that this might be part of that thinking.
I highly doubt they are comfortable with handing over the keys to 3C to a rookie that’s only played in 28 games.

Reactions: Jacob

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

You might as well ask why people like chocolate fudge over **** in a cup.
:laugh:

My favorite Adams highlight.
iu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad