Proposal: Penguins-Ducks-Sharks 3-way trade

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Easy no from this Pens fan. Three future assets dealt is three future assets too many.
Meh it's far more important to get a peice that could help the team win one final championship. If we win another championship I could care less if it means the Pens are bottom feeders for 4-5 years instead of 2-3 afterwards.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This has mostly been discussed in the Karlsson thread, but I'm curious to see what Ducks fans would think of this.

Penguins get Karlsson at $7.5 million
Sharks get Petry, a 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st (1st if the Penguins make the ECF in 2024 or 2025, 2nd otherwise), while retaining $2 million on Karlsson
Ducks get Rutta and Pickering while retaining $2 million on Karlsson

Retaining $2 milllion for 4 years on Karlsson's deal is about $7 million in real money with how much money Karlsson has left on his deal. Anaheim gets a solid bottom pair D and a 2022 1st rounder defensemen as compensation for eating that much dead money through retention. Anaheim's defense seems super thin right now, so I think Rutta would be valued for them as an everyday NHLer.

The Sharks get an immediate replacement in Petry and 2 1sts, one guaranteed and one conditional, in exchange for Karlsson. This seems a bit light but they're only retaining $2 million on Karlsson, I think they'd need to retain more to get more for Karlsson. I could be convinced that the Penguins still need to add another B prospect going to San Jose pretty easily, though.

The Penguins trade Petry, Rutta, Pickering, a 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st while getting Karlsson at $7.5 million. I imagine Penguins fans won't be happy about trading potentially 3 1sts for Karlsson, but that's going to be the cost if Karlsson is coming in with this much salary retention.

I initially had Pickering going to San Jose in this deal, but I remembered Sharks fans being insistent that they didn't need another LD prospect in their system. I also initially had Pickering not included and Ty Smith and Blomqvist included, but I think the Penguins losing Rutta in this deal would make them want to keep Smith for now.

So we lose two right handed defense and get 1 and somehow what, any of us want to see Ruhwedel as a regular again? I'd rather keep Rutta as he was solid when healthy. Move out some trash like DeSmith and Ruhwedel and we'd still have 2 other goalies with nhl experience after Jarry and Friedman.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
And how does Petry feel about this proposal?

I think that basically nixes anything that sends him to a tanking team. He's got...15 teams? Probably all of Canada and the rest is presumably the tanking US teams?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't know if he is actually up for grabs, it's just incredibly difficult to make a package without including Pickering because the Penguins prospect pool is crap :laugh:

But yeah, a 1st or a Pickering caliber prospect is what I imagine would be the cost for any team to retain $2 million for 4 years on Karlsson's deal. It is just difficult for the Penguins to do that because they only have future 1sts, Yager and Pickering as prospects on that level.

I don't think that the Pens need to trade Pickering and a first for Karlsson.

There is a limited market and alot of risk in trading for Karlsson and then not having thsoe 3 pieces for a deadline deal if somehow they were actually a contender come trade deadline time.

The window has closed in Pittsburg, if Crosby, Letang and Malkin were all on year to year deals they would be in full rebuild mode already.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Did Petry's play fall off a cliff? Didn't watch the Pens much last year, but his stats seem fine.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Did Petry's play fall off a cliff? Didn't watch the Pens much last year, but his stats seem fine.

He is absolutely fine but that's all he is, he's just fine. I think he has become an ultra bland, jack of all trades middle pair D at this point. He's absolutely not bad and the Penguins are not in a bad spot if he's their 2nd pair RD, because he is still a solid player. But he's not an offensive difference maker like he used to be and the Penguins desperately need an offensive difference maker on their 2nd pair.

Petry would be absolutely fine on a 2nd pair for a team who didn't rely on his role to be driving offense from the blueline, it's just that Petry is no longer good enough to be what the Penguins need him to be.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Asking a 3rd team to retain for 4 years has to be worth more than Pickering. Not only is it $2 million per, it takes away an important retention slot from a rebuilding team for 4 years. That could equate to 3 more assets, or quality of assets that could be better.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Injuries all up and down our defense last year including him. Anytime someone came back someone else was hurt. I know I don't need to explain to a Colorado fan about injuries but it was musical chairs back there.

Hard to get any sort of consistency with ever shifting pairings.

Outside of that he played well, probably 1 mil overpriced IMO though

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Meh it's far more important to get a peice that could help the team win one final championship. If we win another championship I could care less if it means the Pens are bottom feeders for 4-5 years instead of 2-3 afterwards.
I care. And I am sure most people will also care when we start longing for the days of Andy Hilbert and Niklas Nordgren.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I care. And I am sure most people will also care when we start longing for the days of Andy Hilbert and Niklas Nordgren.
Andy was one of the better young players I ever seen. At least he made it though, because 90% of the best players at 11-12 never do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad