Proposal: Penguins-Ducks-Sharks 3-way trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This has mostly been discussed in the Karlsson thread, but I'm curious to see what Ducks fans would think of this.

Penguins get Karlsson at $7.5 million
Sharks get Petry, a 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st (1st if the Penguins make the ECF in 2024 or 2025, 2nd otherwise), while retaining $2 million on Karlsson
Ducks get Rutta and Pickering while retaining $2 million on Karlsson

Retaining $2 milllion for 4 years on Karlsson's deal is about $7 million in real money with how much money Karlsson has left on his deal. Anaheim gets a solid bottom pair D and a 2022 1st rounder defensemen as compensation for eating that much dead money through retention. Anaheim's defense seems super thin right now, so I think Rutta would be valued for them as an everyday NHLer.

The Sharks get an immediate replacement in Petry and 2 1sts, one guaranteed and one conditional, in exchange for Karlsson. This seems a bit light but they're only retaining $2 million on Karlsson, I think they'd need to retain more to get more for Karlsson. I could be convinced that the Penguins still need to add another B prospect going to San Jose pretty easily, though.

The Penguins trade Petry, Rutta, Pickering, a 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st while getting Karlsson at $7.5 million. I imagine Penguins fans won't be happy about trading potentially 3 1sts for Karlsson, but that's going to be the cost if Karlsson is coming in with this much salary retention.

I initially had Pickering going to San Jose in this deal, but I remembered Sharks fans being insistent that they didn't need another LD prospect in their system. I also initially had Pickering not included and Ty Smith and Blomqvist included, but I think the Penguins losing Rutta in this deal would make them want to keep Smith for now.

Reactions: General Manager

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I'm surprised Pickering is up for grabs, but actually we probably wouldn't want him either. Our LD depth is stacked (Mintyukov and Zellweger are both ahead).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm surprised Pickering is up for grabs, but actually we probably wouldn't want him either. Our LD depth is stacked (Mintyukov and Zellweger are both ahead).

I don't know if he is actually up for grabs, it's just incredibly difficult to make a package without including Pickering because the Penguins prospect pool is crap :laugh:

But yeah, a 1st or a Pickering caliber prospect is what I imagine would be the cost for any team to retain $2 million for 4 years on Karlsson's deal. It is just difficult for the Penguins to do that because they only have future 1sts, Yager and Pickering as prospects on that level.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't think Pickering would be involved. Yager either. Poulin maybe, but his value is at an all time low.

No. Pens defense is already marshmallowy soft. Zero desire to trade Rutta. Im also on record for not wanting Karlsson for the price thats being tossed around.
Truthfully I don't think trading for EK would be close to the alleged prices that are suggested here.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Keep Pickering, Yager, the 2024 1st etc

Go through next year nad hope you can make the playoffs. If you do nice. If not the rebuild can begin sooner

Pens aren't a karlsson away from being contenders.

Unlikely Crosby and Malkin are injury free moving forward and extremely unlikely EK65 is an elite 1D like this year again

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Go through next year nad hope you can make the playoffs. If you do nice. If not the rebuild can begin sooner

Unlikely Crosby and Malkin are injury free moving forward and extremely unlikely EK65 is an elite 1D like this year again
I agree with you, but PIT would be far more entertaining to watch. And we might actually win a playoff series. That said I wouldn't mortgage the future in the process. I'd part with a '24 1st rounder, another non 1st rounder draft pick, and a prospect but not our two or three best. SJ is limited as to what they can demand. A deal can be made here, but I'm not giving up the farm in doing so. That said SJ would garner a couple assets for the future.

Reactions: brewski420

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Yes they are.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
So awful. Really really bad. Typical from this guy

Pens give up way too much.

Pens should stick to Petry+Granlund+Pickering+1st

If that’s not enough oh well move on

Reactions: Nfumass

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nope inconsistent goaltending and the forward talent is old and unlikely able to last a lengthy playoff run

EK65 at his age shouldnt be a guy to come and make the Pens a contender.
They missed the playoffs by 1 point. The team that made it to the SCF got in because the Penguins lost a game.

If the Penguins beef up their back end, add more production from the blue line, and boost the power play, that absolutely puts them in the hunt. Jarry is likely better than he showed last year but Bobrovsky certainly demonstrated how goalies can get hot and go on a streaks. That's pretty much a necessity for any Cup-winning team regardless of the rest of the lineup.

And Sid and Geno were PPG so...who cares about age? Jake, Smith, Rakell, and Rust are as good of top 6 wings as any team in the playoffs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Petry doesn't have the Sharks on his no-trade list, I'd be fine with that trade. Not sure about the feasibility of getting another team to retain for four seasons even with a decent return on that.

Reactions: brewski420

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017

Yes, but if King Madden and his amateur scouts deem Owen Pickering as an acceptable defensive asset, then who am I to quibble with their judgment? Worst case scenario, he becomes a possible piece himself if this team eventually wants to add a forward.

The question I have is if management would even be willing to broker a deal for what essentially amounts to a dead cap hit for multiple seasons, especially since it feels like they're going to need to come to some sort of resolution with the Gibson situation at some point and the only way they get a real return for him is if they're retaining salary (probably 25% minimum). Even though Verbeek hasn't looked like a guy that's been motivated to use his cap situation to take on contracts so far in his tenure, that scenario only leaves you with one open retention spot for three seasons (limiting flexibility), and that's before getting into the conversation of ownership's desire to pay the cash to pull something like that off.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
No thanks from the Ducks. They don't need another finesse 2-way defensemen, they have more than enough. Also, it would not be worth eating 2 million for 4 years AND have to take on Rutta's overpaid contract for the next 2 years.... Thats 13.5 million for a former 1st round pick who didn't really impress last year.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
They missed the playoffs by 1 point. The team that made it to the SCF got in because the Penguins lost a game.

If the Penguins beef up their back end, add more production from the blue line, and boost the power play, that absolutely puts them in the hunt. Jarry is likely better than he showed last year but Bobrovsky certainly demonstrated how goalies can get hot and go on a streaks. That's pretty much a necessity for any Cup-winning team regardless of the rest of the lineup.

And Sid and Geno were PPG so...who cares about age? Jake, Smith, Rakell, and Rust are as good of top 6 wings as any team in the playoffs.
The panthers needed absurbly good goal tending to make it to the finals where they got dusted

Crosby can still be a 90-100 pt guy and Geno ppg but very unlikely they play 82 games (especially Geno who has had a career ridiculed with injuries unfortunately)

Karlsson wont be a 101 pt player again. He had everything go right and put that offense. Hes a 60-70 pt player realistically if he doesnt decline with age next year who has very poor in zone defense.

The Pens need Rust to bounce back as well as he fell from a near ppg player to 45-50 pt player who struggled.

Pens ideally at this stage need a game breaking winger who can take over games in addition to a #1D EK65 and a more reliable goalie (Jarry has cost the pens vs the isles and Rangers a bit too).

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
For the record, I would absolutely accept Pickering in a trade. It feels like he is being disregarded as a prospect. The Sharks may have a decent amount of LD prospects but not many of his quality.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
No issue with Pickering but the Ducks are just loaded with defensive prospects. It isn’t a good fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad