Penguins Chad Ruhwedel completely destroyed by Bobby Ryan = concussed - legal hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
This isnt house league folks...its the NHL...you make that hit every time and love it, if you dont you sit simple as that.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Wow, this is absolutely a penalty.

This clip should have been the first reply in this thread though. Anybody saying the ref should have called Ryan's hit because Ruhdwedel put himself in a vulnerable position needs to remind themselves this is playoff hockey in the National Hockey League.

No referee in their right mind is going to call a penalty on a clean hit because the person taking the contact is in a bad position under these circumstances.

They really should though.

If a guy is in that position and the player has the ability to let up, they should. You catch a guy clean in open ice that has his head down, that's one thing. But when a guy stumbles and has his face four inches from the boards, it shouldn't be called an "unfortunate incident" when some ******* comes along and decides to nail him.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This isnt house league folks...its the NHL...you make that hit every time and love it, if you dont you sit simple as that.

The "it's the NHL" to justify a bad hit argument by people who have never played professionally makes me laugh. Like...why are you talking down to people at the exact same level of hockey as you were ever at?

And it's definitely not as simple as "you sit, simple as that". It's as if someone challenged you to ram as many cliches into one post as possible.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The "it's the NHL" to justify a bad hit argument by people who have never played professionally makes me laugh. Like...why are you talking down to people at the exact same level of hockey as you were ever at?

And it's definitely not as simple as "you sit, simple as that". It's as if someone challenged you to ram as many cliches into one post as possible.

Firstly you have zero idea what my level of hockey played is at so thats a sad argument....secondly the point about it being the NHL is that this is not new to the league so you being really upset about it shows your lack of knowledge or attention to the league as a whole. Its not a bad hit its a great one and resulted from an amatuer mistake by the Pens player.

Finally according to the rules and the non penalty or suspension....you are wrong

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
End this wrestling **** after a clean hit. Should be a game misconduct on Cole if the hit is deemed as clean by the officials IMO. I get that the play happens so fast and the players first instinct is to think the play was dirty and go right after the guy, but this has to stop

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
They really should though.

If a guy is in that position and the player has the ability to let up, they should. You catch a guy clean in open ice that has his head down, that's one thing. But when a guy stumbles and has his face four inches from the boards, it shouldn't be called an "unfortunate incident" when some ******* comes along and decides to nail him.

The other thing that I don't get is the puck wasn't within reach of Ruhwedel. After he was checked the puck gets away from him. Ryan skated past the puck to hit a guy.

The puck should be the objective not hitting a guy (without letting up) in a vulnerable position.

If Ryan gets the puck and turns to make a pass/protect himself (and the puck) and still glides in to Ruhwedel causing the same injury it's unfortunate but ok because the puck is his objective and what else could he do.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hate when a player is engaged with another and then a secondary player comes in to destroy them.

Pretty much how I see it.

It really is up to the discretion of the ref, and considering the ref let the high stick go by Brassard pretty much eliminates any such talk of clean play.

What makes it dirty, and it was dirty, just with what I first mentioned, Ryan had his sights on crushing him even though he had just been engaged by another player and saw everything play out before him. He did not even try to make a play on the puck.

That is by definition, dirty.

Predatory.

Just because the ref fails to do his job doesn't mean it is clean.

Save the tucked arm and such for people who don't actually watch the entire sequence. Cole watched it and it deserved his attention on Ryan.

That was a piece of **** move.

This is much more of a penalty.

You can almost say that bird got what's coming to him with a clean big hit from Ryan.

Ryan had his side towards the boards upon contact and only turned back into the boards when contacted while he backhanded the puck.

It deserved no call.

You don't know what a clean hit actually is, and apparently neither does most saying so.

Clean it was not.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Every questionable hit on the Pens is unfortunate good hockey plays.

That's the result of the Penguins being one of the dirtiest teams in the league this year and their fans flooding these boards with excuses. No one feels bad for them now.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It was a cheap shot that the Sens got away with. Whether you give five for the high stick that drew blood or the checking the head into the boards, the refs either blew it or let it go.

The Sens better keep their heads on a swivel because if there is a chance to let up on a defenseless player I doubt that many Pens will be in the mood to avoid a 'hockey play' after the way this series has been reffed and played.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
That's the result of the Penguins being one of the dirtiest teams in the league this year and their fans flooding these boards with excuses. No one feels bad for them now.
Huh? Pens are one of the softest teams in the league, almost an entirely skill based roster.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm still waiting to hear the story about how someone took a slapshot right through their cheek, which is infinitely more interesting than some Winnipeg fan's persecution complex.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Fine hit. He was bending over last second, Ryan is going in for the check with the arm tucked in. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Looked legal, but not clean. The head being the principle point of contact was unavoidable, but I think Ryan had the opportunity to let up on the impact to separate Ruh from the puck.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
In the regular season you might call that 'dirty' because the player should hold back a bit.

In the playoffs, no way. You are expected to finish every hit, and hit at every opportunity. Part of winning the Cup is winning the war of attrition against each opponent, whether you like it or not.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Only saw the hit once-haven't formed an opinion yet on it. Glad to see Cole immediately come in and pummel the $7 million per year 13 goal scorer.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Good hit, need to be aware of your surrounding in playoffs.

Cole's antics deserved an aggressor game misconduct though.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The refs stopping the play was also strange as Ceci was essentially in all alone from my memory.

that was the 3rd time this series I've seen the refs blow the whistle with Ottawa in possession of the puck only to call a Pittsburgh penalty

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Good hit, need to be aware of your surrounding in playoffs.

Cole's antics deserved an aggressor game misconduct though.

I think there is an argument to go 2-5-10 on Cole. I've seen fighting called on one player and not the other. the flip side is there's no argument at all to call a penalty there on Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad