Penguins Chad Ruhwedel completely destroyed by Bobby Ryan = concussed - legal hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Clean hit BUT if you make a hit like that on a vulnerable player then keep your head on a swivel the rest of the series.

You should already be keeping your head on a swivel because it's playoff hockey and every opponent is trying to put you through the boards. There's no difference. If they were playing Ryan and others lightly (doubtful) then they don't know how playoffs work. And if they're already playing Ryan and others super hard(likely) this won't make a difference...they'll just continue to play him as hard as they can.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's important to make the distinction between clean/dirty and legal/illegal.

I think the hit was legal as far as NHL rules go(though the high stick that put Ruhwedel into that spot was not), but was dirty. Ryan saw the opportunity to annihilate a pens player that couldn't defend himself, and he took it.

You haven't explained any distinction between the two. You've just claimed it.

Isn't a clean hit a hit that is by the rules?
Isn't a dirty hit a hit that breaks the rules?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Now this is the questionable hit on Ryan, dismissed by many Pen fans as Ryan's fault when there was no call.

This is much more of a penalty.

You can almost say that bird got what's coming to him with a clean big hit from Ryan.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Wait, so the hit Dumoulin threw where Ryan turns to do some stupid spin pass and gets nailed during mid-spin and Dumo let up mind you, is dirty.

But Ruhwedel, who was high stick and bloodied from it, has no control of the puck and is in a battle along the boards is hit in a vulnerable spot with his head being the principle point of contact and that's clean?

Holy **** this place is messed up.

He wasn't bloodied from the high stick. He was bloodied from his visor when he hit the ice.

The slomo replay shows his face zoomed in after the high stick and there is no cut.

I've gotten a puck in the face that went through my cheek, I've gotten a gash on my nose, and many bloody noses. When you get a big cut in the face, blood leaks instantly. Some may even provide a slight splashing effect where blood instantly flies out. It doesn't take 5 seconds for a cut to develop and start bleeding.

Same as the gryba hit on eller how his face got bloodied from his visor when he hit the ice.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Except he can when Ryan already sees him reaching for the puck. That play, Ryan is closer to the puck, he could have easily taken the puck, made a play and skated to a slot area to score, instead he wanted to hit the vulnerable player.

It's insane that people want to make so many excuses to make it a legit hit.

It's insane that people think this is a dirty hit and make up rules and use their bias to make it an illegal hit.

Quit being biased bud. Or at least don't let it show so glaringly.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm just surprised Ryan didn't dive right after for a PP. I suppose he drew the PP anyways, somehow. Ryan is a bit of a reckless punk. He knows what he is doing.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

The Cooke hit on Savard was dirty, but legal. Does that clarify slightly for you?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
How is that not boarding? Almost a 5 min major too.

I read charging and hit to the head in this thread. That's boarding to me, and almost a major.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
NHL approved legal hit that will be used with countless others in the concussion lawsuit.

Not a hockey play but an "NHL play" without a doubt.

The best you can say for Ryan is that he didn't mean to be guilty of it by NHL interpretation when he tried and succeeded to injure him.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The Cooke hit on Savard was dirty, but legal. Does that clarify slightly for you?

No. Unless you mean it is now viewed as dirty but was once,at the time, considered clean?

What makes it dirty? Intent? Every player that lines up a D on the forecheck is trying to hurt them.

Rules?

Personally opinion based on nothing?

What is the criteria you use? I'd would be fun to break it down and challenge your criteria.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm just surprised Ryan didn't dive right after for a PP. I suppose he drew the PP anyways, somehow. Ryan is a bit of a reckless punk. He knows what he is doing.

No there was no penalty when Ryan was hit into the boards. You could argue he changed his position at the last second so I'm ok with blaming Bobby.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
NHL approved legal hit that will be used with countless others in the concussion lawsuit.

Not a hockey play but an "NHL play" without a doubt.

The best you can say for Ryan is that he didn't mean to be guilty of it by NHL interpretation when he tried and succeeded to injure him.

Most NHL players try to injure other players with clean hits in the playoffs.

If Malkin lined up karlsson and the hit was clean, you don't think Malkin would rather that karlsson separates his shoulder and is out for the rest of the series on a clean hit?

They're not trying to do anything illegal but you bet your ass when they line someone up, they're doing it as hard as they can and they're trying to make the opponent feel it. It's why you always hear them talk about wearing down the opponent. That's not done with marshmallow hits, it's done with repetitive hard hockey hits where you try to drive through your opponent. that's playoff hockey. Always was. Always will be.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Most NHL players try to injure other players with clean hits in the playoffs.

If Malkin lined up karlsson and the hit was clean, you don't think Malkin would rather that karlsson separates his shoulder and is out for the rest of the series on a clean hit?

They're not trying to do anything illegal but you bet your ass when they line someone up, they're doing it as hard as they can and they're trying to make the opponent feel it. It's why you always hear them talk about wearing down the opponent. That's not done with marshmallow hits, it's done with repetitive hard hockey hits where you try to drive through your opponent. that's playoff hockey. Always was. Always will be.

Agree. But the NHL isn't in deep about separated shoulders. They certainly are for they're reckless disregard for brain trauma.

They can't call them all "accidents" or keep blaming the victim. They are in charge and responsible for what happens, especially when the results are predictable with their "clean" attempts to injure causing brain injuries on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Ryan should have gotten 2 for Charging.

How ended up on the PK after that was ridiculous.

Pens end up on the PK because Cole was a bonehead flying in after the play and jumping a guy. Yes, he was sticking up for a teammate, but retaliation always gets called.

NJ All Day

Jan 11, 2016
there's a lot going on here. We also have to accept that there will always be more than one perspective. For me, it starts with the fact that karlsson was hacked like a piñata moments before a goal was scored. Missed call. Karlsson and the rest of the team are upset and start the play angry. Before the hit, ruhwedel is high sticked. Missed call. With the hit itself, ryan didn't charge and he didn't launch, he just never slowed down. Ruhwedel puts himself in a vulnerable position by reaching for the loose puck, lowering his head level. Ryan fully intended to hit ruhwedel. No doubt. There's also nothing wrong with fully intending to hit someone and hit them hard so i don't think it's fair that people are getting upset about the fact that ryan didn't let up. He doesn't have to and most players will make that hit. The head is the principle point of contact. No doubt. The elbow makes contact with the head. No doubt. But the fact that ruhwedel puts himself in a bad spot places the onus on him. It's the same reasoning and explanation used when a player is boarded from behind because they turned their body at the last second. Players are told first and foremost to defend themselves. If a player gets hurt by putting themselves in a vulnerable position, the player making the hit shouldn't and won't be punished.

There are definitely some hits that are premeditated and others are unfortunate events. This is an unfortunate event and and even worse outcome because ruhwedel was concussed. But i highly doubt ryan was sitting on the bench thinking "i'm going to hit that guy to get this crowd going!"

like i said, there is always more than one perspective and this is just what i saw and think from that play.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Not only is there nothing bad about that hit, I'm not even sure it's that hard a hit.

Sure the result is unfortunate, but we can't penalize, fine, or suspend guys for an unfortunate result.

Im a fan of neither team.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

No, A hit can be clean but unnecessarily hard. Or thrown on a player in a vulnerable position. That makes them dirty.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Little known fact, JFK was actually killed by a puck that went clean through his cheek.

Stay safe, everyone. And don't ride in convertibles around slapshooters.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Now this is the questionable hit on Ryan, dismissed by many Pen fans as Ryan's fault when there was no call.

Wow, this is absolutely a penalty.

This clip should have been the first reply in this thread though. Anybody saying the ref should have called Ryan's hit because Ruhdwedel put himself in a vulnerable position needs to remind themselves this is playoff hockey in the National Hockey League.

No referee in their right mind is going to call a penalty on a clean hit because the person taking the contact is in a bad position under these circumstances.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Legal or not, I think it's predatory.

This is the thing. He has stumbled and is defenseless. Ryan has enough time to at least minimize the impact but doesn't.

I have seen numerous plays during these playoffs from numerous players on numerous teams where players in vulnerable positions get hit. I'm not talking about a player not paying attention. I'm talking about a player on his knees (for whatever reason) against the boards.

I could have sworn that players deemed defenseless were supposed to be let up on, but I've seen a lot of stuff these playoffs that makes me think they've stopped enforcing that.

Cody McLeod finished Jared Boll who was on his knees against the dasher last night and nothing happened there either. I don't really get it. It looked way too similar to the Lemieux/Draper incident of years gone by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad