Penguins Chad Ruhwedel completely destroyed by Bobby Ryan = concussed - legal hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
End this wrestling **** after a clean hit. Should be a game misconduct on Cole if the hit is deemed as clean by the officials IMO. I get that the play happens so fast and the players first instinct is to think the play was dirty and go right after the guy, but this has to stop

He was bleeding from his face. He might have taken the wrong guy, but that wasn't a clean play.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Firstly you have zero idea what my level of hockey played is at so thats a sad argument....secondly the point about it being the NHL is that this is not new to the league so you being really upset about it shows your lack of knowledge or attention to the league as a whole. Its not a bad hit its a great one and resulted from an amatuer mistake by the Pens player.

Finally according to the rules and the non penalty or suspension....you are wrong

I'm going to take a guess that since you did not volunteer said information, you didn't get to a very high level. I look at you (and any of us who have played) as amateur players, whatever skill level we may have been at.

I'm not sure what the "amateur" mistake was. Here you are criticizing me for assuming you weren't a professional player, yet you're saying pro players are making "amateur mistakes".

My opinion: The guy is in a clearly vulnerable position in which injury is not only possible, but likely. It should be a penalty IMO and I've seen it called before. Perhaps there needs to be more clarity on issues such as this.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Since when is drawing blood on a hit a penalty? There are countless examples of clean plays resulting in blood/injury.

This is one of them.

Yeah you're right.

The high stick to Ruhwedel's face by I believe it was Turris, is a penalty though. I guess it used to be anyway.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not if the rules aren't right. That's why these things get changed. In no way was the Cooke hit clean.

But doesn't it matter what the rules were at the time?

Because for example Scott Stevens hits were legal back then. Now they're illegal.

We're they always dirty hits,always clean hits, or does perception come into play.

Perhaps you could say they were clean then,but would be considered dirty now?

Do we just call every physical player back in the day dirty because their hits made today would be considered dirty.

I think you have to base it on the time they happened. Or else almost every player was a dirty player.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
That is about as clean as a hit as you will see. Ryan kept his arm tucked and never exploded his elbow to his face. [...]

This, basically.

When I heard the NBC announcers talking about this, it sounded like a dirty blindside hit. They then showed the video, and I thought they put on the wrong clip. The arm was tucked, elbow low, never came up.

Ruhwedel ended up leaning low and right into it in his attempt to poke the puck with not much time for Ryan to react. Unfortunate it was to the head, but it wasn't in itself a dirty play by Ryan. Guys finish those checks along the boards dozens of times per game.

Cole "dropping Ryan" is not what happened at all...more a wrestling match and some attempts at punches.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Clean hit. Pretty clear only one group is complaining here.

Yeah you're right.

The high stick to Ruhwedel's face by I believe it was Turris, is a penalty though. I guess it used to be anyway.

It was Brassard and I agree it was a penalty.

That was a makeup non call after the slashes/spears to Karlsson. Refs would make their lives a whole lot easier if they just freaking called the game with one standard all season and playoffs and didn't have to keep mental track of even up calls like this.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Since when is drawing blood on a hit a penalty? There are countless examples of clean plays resulting in blood/injury.

This is one of them.

Not venturing into the legal/illegal hit waters -- crowded already.

Anyway, only reason I'm wading in at all is to express my thought that the blood came from Ryan's skate on follow-through. If you look at video all the way through, after the hit Ryan's skate goes right over his face. I think, just opinion, that he clipped his nose.

Either way, if you watch the skate, we were inches away from this being a WHOLE different level of discussion. Scary.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ryan looks to go up high when he can. I bet he'd have taken a dive to draw a PP as he did against the Bruins in the same scenario had he not been jumped by a good teammate.

Legal and clean are not always the same.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I thought it was dirty as ****. I have no issue with the hit on Rust, but absolutely hated this hit.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Ryan looks to go up high when he can. I bet he'd have taken a dive to draw a PP as he did against the Bruins in the same scenario had he not been jumped by a good teammate.

Great point, often lost on hockey observers who pull out rule books as a way to defend something that every hockey player knows is garbage.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
End this wrestling **** after a clean hit. Should be a game misconduct on Cole if the hit is deemed as clean by the officials IMO. I get that the play happens so fast and the players first instinct is to think the play was dirty and go right after the guy, but this has to stop

I agree they should clean up after whistle things like they do in NFL by enforcing heavy team penalties. If not this looks like a Bush WWE sideshow. These Playoffs I cant stand the officiating, so many uncalled infractions, they need to re-write the rulebook because they are definitely not applying it to the letter. As for this hit, hard to tell because things happen so quick, I have played a decent level in hockey and sometimes freak accidents happen, so to me its maybe a 2 mins for a head hit.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Great point, often lost on hockey observers who pull out rule books as a way to defend something that every hockey player knows is garbage.

You have to pull out the rule book because it's often lost on hockey observers who call for suspensions. It's playoff hockey, if you have any opportunity to lay a hit on an opponent, you make it count. You're not necessarily trying to hurt them but you want them to think twice when they go into the corner. Bobby Ryan saw an opportunity for a hit, so he went for it. Unfortunately he has no control over what his opponent does, and in this case it's Ruhwedel who was reaching for a puck. Ruhwedel wasn't aware what was going on around him and was puck focused. If he had been aware, its likely he absorbs the hit, they both fall over and get right back up. Instead he reaches for the puck dropping his head position as Ryan closed in on him. You hate to see it and it sucks but it's no different then a guy turning his back to a hit in order to protect the puck.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Ryan. Nash. OT goal. Salt.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

it's not a great point. it's a point made by a guy that remains salty that his Bruins lost with one of the losses coming on an Ottawa PP after Nash retaliated after getting hit by Ryan. he's been calling Ryan a punk ever since.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Unfortunate but this isn't a video game, the player was falling/ducking and Bobby was already committed to the hit. Stuff like that happens in a fast paced game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad