Post-Game Talk: Penguins Beat Canadiens 1-0

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just a couple notes:

Fleury: It really sucks he got hurt because he was having one of his best games I've ever seen. He was so consistent and looked poised. He wasn't going crazy and flopping. His rebound control was great. Positioning was superb. He challenged shooters and ate pucks in his pads. He even made the big save when needed.

Major thing - he wasn't trying to be flashy. He was just solid. That's the goalie we need.

Just some notes:

Morrow: I was surprised by his speed. People made him seem like Hal Gill. He was actually on the forecheck hard and good in the corners. When Geno comes back... I'm actually excited.

Beau: How sick is his backhand flip pass? Unreal. I want him getting more minutes. 4th line isn't enough. He throws his body around and plays great defense, too. We have a true gem in him.

Cooke/Glass: Both players really piss me off. I hate Glass.. he's just worthless. Cooke really has his good/bad plays. We need him to forecheck extremely hard and backcheck harder. He really doesn't do that. I miss the old Cooke.

Sutter: I love how consistent the kid is. He's a stud defensively and his offensive flashes have me wanting more. I can't believe this kid was as advertised. He's so damn good.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Does anyone think Crosby has "slowed" down since that hit in Toronto?

Wow... not in the slightest bit. Thought he looked good outside of some defensive gaffes. But I think he was looking at Kunitz or Dupers covering.

Last thought because we all have to get up for work tomorrow... :laugh:

Morrow's impact tonight was huge in the sense that his physicality against PK created a 3rd period goal being called off and a powerplay that we got SIX shots on and gained momentum. That is stuff that works in the postseason. PK turned idiot mode and really hurt his team because Morrow kept going after him.

You know too much about the game to discount what Vitale does for this team.

Not only does Vitale own in the faceoff circle, he works his ass off every shift and creates problems for the opposition. He scored big goals agt. Bos and NYI. Without him scoring those goals this streak most likely would of ended.

You honestly can't ask more from a fourth liner.

And Glass has done, what exactly for this team? I'd love for someone to educate me about how the hell Glass should be in over Vitale.

Tell me something... tell me he makes better jokes on the bench... That his gloves are more funky for sexy face washes... Anything...

And this is why Jiggy is one of the best posters around here. I'm completely on board with your entire post.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Those goals Vitale scored are clutch goals. The kind you need from your fourth liners to win in the playoffs.

Are you saying you are cool with Glass over Vitale when the playoffs roll around if it comes to that? You think Glass will be more capable of scoring or setting up pivotal goals than Vitale?

This game could of gone either way. At least Vitale has shown he can make a difference in tight games like this. His reward is a seat on the bench for a guy who does dick all.

Well I said earlier I'm not thrilled Shero gave DB a plethora of slow footed vets. It's like giving a little kid a bag of sugar and a straw.

But these guys can really help if they are used right. So do you blame Shero for giving him these guys, or DB for misusing them?

As usual I'm willing to give DB the benefit of the doubt, but his decision to use all of those plodders agt a fast skating team like Mon was worrisome. Without Crosby and MAF this had loss written all over it.

Come on Jiggy. "Being used right" isn't exactly the way to put it.

Shero didn't give up Joe Morrow to pick up a third liner in B. Morrow. You don't spend that kind of asset on a player you plan on playing checking line minutes. That's what he could end up being, but I have a hard time believing that playing in Bennet's place was not the original intent.

Also, You don't trade two 2nd's (potentially) for a 3rd pairing guy in Murray either. That guy was signed specifically to be a staple in the top 4.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Shero didn't give up Joe Morrow to pick up a third liner in B. Morrow. You don't spend that kind of asset on a player you plan on playing checking line minutes. That's what he could end up being, but I have a hard time believing that playing in Bennet's place was not the original intent.

Also, You don't trade two 2nd's (potentially) for a 3rd pairing guy in Murray either. That guy was signed specifically to be a staple in the top 4.

One can still question if it is going to work though.
Morrow played third line with Dallas and was even relegated to the 4th at times. Murray was 7th in ice time per game on San Jose, 8th if you account for Burns lower minutes after being moved to forward. Higher minutes than our third pairing guys, sure, but still not exactly an indication that he has been successful for them. And as for the PK numbers, yes, he got significant time there, but the numbers suggest that the San Jose PK was worse when Murray was on it, than with any other D-man.

So while I can definitely agree that the most likely scenario is that Morrow will get every chance to win the spot on Geno's line and Murray will likely be paired with Letang right off the bat, them getting such roles doesn't mean that it will pan out. Not saying you are arguing that, just saying.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
+ Fleury, that paw save was something.
+ Vokoun for coming into the 3rd of a 1-0 game and keeping down the fort.
+Pretty shot by Sid, I was shocked that Kunitz was able to get that cross ice pass considering Montreal seemed to be ready for those.

=basically everything else. it was kinda hard to do a bunch of +/-s considering the different line changes going on esp in the first, having the new Morrow in, bringing back Letang, and a 1-0 game. Sometimes it's all just a blur. Wasn't thrilled with the way the team looked for the first chunk in the 1st or that PP, but that may have been the line changes or even Montreal.

-Fleury being injured. Though I have to say even if he was cleared to come back to the 3rd I'm fine that he didn't. The health & well being of the players long term is more important than the streak. If he or Letang need time, then so be it.
-Bud Lite for taking away Pitbull and giving us those dingbats on a blind date. No one says "here we go" in real life.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
+13 game win streak. Flyers: 13 wins this season

-Waiting on Fleury injury news

I missed the 3rd, but I'm so happy we're winning these types of games.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
- I slept through the game
+ I got 10 hours of sleep last night
- I only read the first two pages before I got sick of people *****ing about Morrow in a 1-0 win GDT.
+ Coming to the last page and seeing Cole's notes on Morrow.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

they were brought in to help the team. I don't think Shero cares where they line up to do it. If anything, because of who he brought in I don't think Shero is exactly sure what we need -- but he knows we could use something -- so he got guys who are sort of tweeners in the line-up.

arnold slick

Feb 11, 2006
Western Pa.
+ Vokoun, its great to have a backup like him, one of Sheros finest moves this year
+ Fluery, He is playing the best I've seen him play ever.
+ Morrow, he wasn't full speed yet but how can you criticize him with only one practice plus he was in Subbans face all night. I like his game
I won't give minuses to Kennedy or Neal, I thought they both played good games and it wasn't TK's fault on the collision. Neal was hustling out there tonight

I'm ok with BB playing on 4th line. He is a rookie and there is no way for him to be ready for playoff hockey, I'd rather him be on the 4th line in the playoffs than with Geno

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
- I slept through the game
+ I got 10 hours of sleep last night
I wish I could sleep for 10 hours within the span of 48.

+ I liked Morrows game. He stay active and got involved. Thats all you could really ask right now. Let him get used to the system and pace of the Pens and adjust.

++++ Loved how the Pens went after Gionta. From Cooke to Sid and Adams yelling from the bench, I was happy to see that they weren't blah about that bump. I would still have liked to have seen Cookie take his eyebrow off but he would get 5 games for sneezing. Thats not needed right now.

+ Cooke... He might not be the same overly physical player he used to be, he's not allowed to be, but he's still getting to pucks well and smart about how he's been taking players out. His positional game is really, REALLY good and he doesn't get caught up in over chasing.

+ Adams... I don't get the hate. I really don't. Sure he'll try and force the puck up the boards sometimes but he always gives 120%, is on every loose puck and will block a shot with his nut sack.

+ MAF... So much more composed now and when he's going side to side he's aware of holes. I'm really hoping that Meloche is there with him 24/ 7. I'm not sure if he's full time but you can tell when MAF's been with him. You can also see him focusing on pucks more now that the Pens have gotten better around his cage.

+/ - I thought Neal looked a little bit better last night but I would still like to see him in the middle of the ice more. Without Malkin there he should just put everything on net and let Morrow find the garbage. Also I think he's got a little to much wrist and not enough snap in his shots right now.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lets not forget Morrow was pretty motivated being with a new team. We'll see the true Morrow in 5 to 10 games. This is when we should judge him good/bad.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
First off I will take TK over BB once the playoffs come,experience matters,TKs stats are right on par with a 82 game season.

Glass and Adams are guys you need come playoffs,I garentee both will score goals in the playoffs.

It amazes me that a guy who has 2 goals gets so much praise on this board.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Penguins should have notched a second goal on that final PP. They outworked the Canadians as much as i've seen any team lately. Letang flubbed a shot from the slot, then lazily turned over a puck to an exhausted PKer. Penguins probably should have put this game away then and there.

Theres still issues to work out with this team. The PP will not work with Letang on it, not in the near future. He has to go. And i really don't care if it hurts his contract renewal. Hes losing value on his own being out there. Let him try again next season. Right now these guys have to dial it in for the playoffs. The PP is going to make or break them IMO.

Kunitz and Dupuis are not flying like they were a month ago. That was to be expected. Its still a very good line, but i think we were being fooled by their production. Those guys are not first-line allstars. Never will be.

I think people are being way too hard to James Neal. Hes always been streaky. Having Malkin around helps him get his game on the over most nights. I'd still take him over Sykora, Malone, Talbot, or Fedetenko on Malkin's wing.. by a long shot.

Didn't see enough of Morrow to really make a judgement. He was playing physical. Which is good. I think people are overvaluing the need for speed on Geno's line. That line will do fine on the rush, where they have suffered is in the zone, possessing the puck. Morrow is good along the boards, and he can create space by getting to the net. That will be key for that line to sustain pressure, and make room for Geno to do his thing.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
+Fleury
+Vokoun
+1st Line
+Sutter

-Defense
-Jeffrey still centering the 2nd line
-Glass over Vitale??? WTF DAN?!!!!
-Play in first 2 periods

I really, really, REALLY question Bylsma as a coach more than ever with some of his lineup decisions. Slice it however you want, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever as to why Tanner Glass continues to remain in this lineup, especially over Vitale, who in my opinion has been hands down the best player on that 4th line this season! Is this how you reward your players that have been playing solid hockey and busting their ***** every single shift???

I also still cannot comprehend how the hell Jeffrey continues to play on that 2nd line over Sutter. I really don't want to through DJ under the bus, as its hardly his fault thaat he's being asked to play over his head at the moment. NEedless to say however that 2nd line has been absolutely useless since Geno got hurt so you'd expect your coach to be able to notice the obvious and try to make some adjustments to get them rolling. NOPE! Lets continue to play a 4th line centerman on that line while our big money sniper (Neal) continues to struggle to even get shots on net, let alone score goals.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Oh, and I really hope all the Vokoun haters crawl back into their holes for the next little while. With MAF getting hurt we should consider ourselves fortunate that we have such a talented vet on our bench to fill the void. What an awesome job he did in the 3rd peirod last night too!

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
The Penguins should have notched a second goal on that final PP. They outworked the Canadians as much as i've seen any team lately. Letang flubbed a shot from the slot, then lazily turned over a puck to an exhausted PKer. Penguins probably should have put this game away then and there.

Theres still issues to work out with this team. The PP will not work with Letang on it, not in the near future. He has to go. And i really don't care if it hurts his contract renewal. Hes losing value on his own being out there. Let him try again next season. Right now these guys have to dial it in for the playoffs. The PP is going to make or break them IMO.

Kunitz and Dupuis are not flying like they were a month ago. That was to be expected. Its still a very good line, but i think we were being fooled by their production. Those guys are not first-line allstars. Never will be.

I think people are being way too hard to James Neal. Hes always been streaky. Having Malkin around helps him get his game on the over most nights. I'd still take him over Sykora, Malone, Talbot, or Fedetenko on Malkin's wing.. by a long shot.

Didn't see enough of Morrow to really make a judgement. He was playing physical. Which is good. I think people are overvaluing the need for speed on Geno's line. That line will do fine on the rush, where they have suffered is in the zone, possessing the puck. Morrow is good along the boards, and he can create space by getting to the net. That will be key for that line to sustain pressure, and make room for Geno to do his thing.

HOw so? Aside from the odd game both have still been VERY productive this season, especially during this win streak. That stretch pass from Kuni to Sid was a thing of beauty (not something you'd expect from a goal scorer) while Dupuis had at least 2 quality scoring chances last night and was playing some great hockey overall.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Oh, and I really hope all the Vokoun haters crawl back into their holes for the next little while. With MAF getting hurt we should consider ourselves fortunate that we have such a talented vet on our bench to fill the void. What an awesome job he did in the 3rd peirod last night too!

Vokoun's been great, but he seems so frantic in his crease. He was never like that before.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
First off I will take TK over BB once the playoffs come,experience matters,TKs stats are right on par with a 82 game season.

Glass and Adams are guys you need come playoffs,I garentee both will score goals in the playoffs.

It amazes me that a guy who has 2 goals gets so much praise on this board.

It's amazing to me that you 1) Said you'd take TK over Beau and 2) Say you can't understand why people praise a guy with only 2 goals when you praise a guy with less goals than Brodeur.

I don't even know where to begin with your post unless you only posted it to get a reaction. It's just all sorts of wrong.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
The amount of people *****ing. MTLpens, and a few others is crazy.

We have the most self-entitled *******s of fans you could ever have. 13 game win streak, GM sucks, Coach sucks. It's really embarrassing.

Not even constructive criticism, like outright complaining and *****ing; its like this team has 9 wins total.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad