Post-Game Talk: Penguins at Rangers 12/19/2013

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Nash came here bc he thought he was coming to a winning club with talent. Then most of that talent decided to no show last year but he continued to bust his ass and be the best Ranger on the ice last year. Then the PO's happened and he disappeared. We're still waiting for him to come back.

That said where the hell is the rest of the talent? Where are the hard workers? At least nash is known for this but wtf happened to Staal, Hags, Boyle and especially callahan. Stepan doesn't surprise me he always decides to miss significant portions of the season.

Richards I'll give him this he showed up he's just too old physically and not good enough.

Nash has a massive contract he doesn't have to give a sh**. If you want to motivate him scratch his ass for a few games. Tell him that you don't give a sh** if he has to produce 3 goals a game. He has the talent to do it so he needs to play to get a hatty every game regardless of if the rest of the team sucks ass. Embarass him, scratch him and if he doesn't want to come back and play or demands a trade you sit his ass for the whole damn year and tell him to kiss everyones ass. Let him miss the olympics, let him waste his prime at home instead of wasting it on the ice like he's doing.

Then use the buyout on HIM ... or keep him and trade him later. Friggin Van kept Luongo riding the pine for almost 2 years before making a trade and Luongo actually busted his ass and kept trying. If Nash doesn't even want to TRY then he deserves to ride the bench. Tell him to drop 5 or 10 pounds too. Fat ****.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I missed the previous incarnation of this team last night more than any other game this season. With Pittsburgh missing 5 of their 6 regular defenseman (and the entire top 4!), this game screamed for a strategy involving getting pucks deep, making the D turn around and play the puck, and forcing them into mistakes on the forecheck. I saw virtually none of that. Instead, I saw the Rangers making it easy for these minor leaguers all night by bungling plays on the rush -- led by Rick Nash, who is the tin man of hockey.

Meanwhile, I saw a Pittsburgh team that let Crosby and his line handle the skill duties - but gave direction to the nobodies that filled the rest of the roster. Play hard, forecheck, hit. Sounds so simple. Why cant the Rangers do it?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nash came here bc he thought he was coming to a winning club with talent. Then most of that talent decided to no show last year but he continued to bust his ass and be the best Ranger on the ice last year. Then the PO's happened and he disappeared. We're still waiting for him to come back.

That said where the hell is the rest of the talent? Where are the hard workers? At least nash is known for this but wtf happened to Staal, Hags, Boyle and especially callahan. Stepan doesn't surprise me he always decides to miss significant portions of the season.

Richards I'll give him this he showed up he's just too old physically and not good enough.

Nash has a massive contract he doesn't have to give a sh**. If you want to motivate him scratch his ass for a few games. Tell him that you don't give a sh** if he has to produce 3 goals a game. He has the talent to do it so he needs to play to get a hatty every game regardless of if the rest of the team sucks ass. Embarass him, scratch him and if he doesn't want to come back and play or demands a trade you sit his ass for the whole damn year and tell him to kiss everyones ass. Let him miss the olympics, let him waste his prime at home instead of wasting it on the ice like he's doing.

The book is out on Nash. Don't let him get open space on the rush. Period. Throw 2 or 3 guys at him if you have to because he rarely uses his teammates effectively. Rough him up a bit and hes totally neutralized. He is emotion-less on and off the ice. Like a robot.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I missed the previous incarnation of this team last night more than any other game this season. With Pittsburgh missing 5 of their 6 regular defenseman (and the entire top 4!), this game screamed for a strategy involving getting pucks deep, making the D turn around and play the puck, and forcing them into mistakes on the forecheck. I saw virtually none of that. Instead, I saw the Rangers making it easy for these minor leaguers all night by bungling plays on the rush -- led by Rick Nash, who is the tin man of hockey.

Meanwhile, I saw a Pittsburgh team that let Crosby and his line handle the skill duties - but gave direction to the nobodies that filled the rest of the roster. Play hard, forecheck, hit. Sounds so simple. Why cant the Rangers do it?

Very well said. I believe Eddie (or maybe Pierre) said the same thing before puck drop. What's the game plan to take advantage of the young d? Get pucks deep, make them turn around and play behind their goal line.

Yet we saw about 40+ min of aimless floating. Little forecheck to speak of. Perfect.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The book is out on Nash. Don't let him get open space on the rush. Period. Throw 2 or 3 guys at him if you have to because he rarely uses his teammates effectively. Rough him up a bit and hes totally neutralized. He is emotion-less on and off the ice. Like a robot.

Too much of what is going on out there has nothing to do with double teams or triple teams for this to be the definitive statement. Although yea it's important to note the lack of talent around him contributes and allows teams to do what you're saying. He can beat the 2 and 3's and use his teammates. he doesn't want to. He's annoyed by the lack of talent around him and is allowing it to affect his performance. That's why you tell him "I don't give a rats ass if you have to beat 3 guys, if you have to score a hatty every game, you have the talent to do it so you go out there and do it. Embarass your teammates with your effort and if they don't play up then get in someone's face. You're getting paid the same as almost any 3 players on our roster so play like you are 3 guys at once" Earn that A.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Too much of what is going on out there has nothing to do with double teams or triple teams for this to be the definitive statement. Although yea it's important to note the lack of talent around him contributes and allows teams to do what you're saying. He can beat the 2 and 3's and use his teammates. he doesn't want to. He's annoyed by the lack of talent around him and is allowing it to affect his performance. That's why you tell him "I don't give a rats ass if you have to beat 3 guys, if you have to score a hatty every game, you have the talent to do it so you go out there and do it. Embarass your teammates with your effort and if they don't play up then get in someone's face. You're getting paid the same as almost any 3 players on our roster so play like you are 3 guys at once" Earn that A.

Its that kind of mentality that caused him to fall into terrible habits in Columbus that we're seeing here. Its one thing to not use/trust his teammates, but the more sinister thing at play is that he doesn't seem to have to compete level to want to consistently beat 2 or 3 guys on any given play. Its really disheartening for a guy so talented.

The Rangers gambled and lost with that move. The team's identity is less like Ryan Callahan and more like Rick Nash now. Thats not a good thing.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Very well said. I believe Eddie (or maybe Pierre) said the same thing before puck drop. What's the game plan to take advantage of the young d? Get pucks deep, make them turn around and play behind their goal line.

Yet we saw about 40+ min of aimless floating. Little forecheck to speak of. Perfect.

Who is the culprit here? The Players? The coach? Both?

How has somebody not stepped up yet and demanded this team to get their ***** in the trenches?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Does anyone else feel Nash is having issues with his knees/hips? He doesn't bend his legs to drive for power anymore like he used to. He skates straight up.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nash has a lot of skill but it's almost impossible to beat three guys one by one in their own defense zone on your own. Jagr at one time could do it with some regularity but Jagr also used his line mates a lot better than Nash does and Jagr was a truly elite player--Nash is not.

I was thinking yesterday of all the dumb things we could do this summer on the free agent market that signing Jagr again might not be one of them. Looking at the Devils roster--aging--not much talent--not as much talent as our team anyway and yet here they are a better team and led--really led by the 41 year old Jaromir Jagr. They play like a team and Jaromir is central to that. He has all the leadership and chutzpah that our leaders lack--with maybe the exception of Zuccarello who is not on the same skill level as a player. He is clutch and our big guns Nash and Richards are not. He keeps his team loose--he helps out the young kids. That team at least plays like it gives a **** night in and night out.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think he looks like he's worried about another headshot, to be honest.

That might be it too. I just don't see him bending his legs to really push off like I used to see him do all the time. It makes him move slowly because he is always standing up straight.

RangersHank*

People ***** and whine even when we win on this board.

Are we a good team? Not really. But tonight's effort looked promising.

First period was very solid.

As MH said, first goal was on luck. Hags tied the game on a nice break away.

3rd period started and the teams exchanged chances. Kunitz broke McDonough's stick. Normally, that type of slash shouldn't have broken McDonough's stick, but it did... and right in front of the refs. Not the first time in the night they missed a blatant slash on a Ranger player. McD lost his stick, couldn't play Kunitz who was now wide open in front of Henrik, by himself. It was a bang bang play.

Rangers pressed a little bit. Refs called a ridiculous penalty on Dorsett and a Pens player (I forget his name but he's the one with the dirty pedo stache who got tossed down in OT by Poo). The 2 players had been chirping through the faceoff and then I guess they started wacking at each others legs every now and again off the camera cause next thing you know the refs blow the whistle, surround them although neither looked like they had any intention of scrapping, and off to the penalty box they went.

In an effort to capitalize on the 4-4 more space on the ice, AV put Del Zotto on. All 4 Rangers players chipped in the zone, a bad shot led to an odd man rush. DZ rushed back, was kind of on his heals trying to defend the guy. In basketball terms DZ had his ankles broken. Wasn't a pretty play, but he was pretty solid throughout the night. Not an accurate indication of his play today.

We went down 3-1. About 5 minutes later we scored to make it 3-2. We got a powerplay on a high sticking with about 2:45 and the powerplay tied it. In any event, our PP has been much better than at any point under Torts. We created several more chances but Fleury stopped them. Went to OT. Had a PP there. On a 4-3 powerplay, I don't understand why AV refuses to put Zucc on the first unit. We created good chances on the PP but didn't capitalize.

The rest of OT was wide open. Great saves all around. Went to a SO. No one scored until the 5th round when Pitt won it. Fleury is good in the SO, at least against us. Zucc and Richards put on good moves, neither could slip it 5 hole on MAF. Ironic that Henrik let up a goal through his 5 hole.

Intensity level improved. Line chemistry improved. Lundqvuist made big saves when he had to. The defense was for the most part better. Our offense still missed the net at an abysmal rate, but that's due to talent. For the most part there was a night and day improvement from the team's demeanor last week. Doesn't mean they're at the level they need to be yet, or that they will even reach it, but it looked promising tonight.

Enough already. This team isnt consistent at all. They play hard one game and then play like **** the next five. What was promising? John Moore FINALLY having a good game? Hank FINALLY being bailed out? Losing to an injured penguins team? We lost the game, who cares what we did right? If it doesnt carry over to the next game then it doesnt mean ****. People here are sick of this team and its mediocrity, and rightfully so. Take out all the positives you want, we lost. I wouldnt be surprised if we dont make the playoffs, maybe our loser GM will make some moves

zidell*

The Pens recent streak says a lot more about the NHL than it does about their prospects. The NHL is about systems. With the rookies, they are playing a very simple, conservative, game in a good tight system. The AHL team plays exactly the same system, so these guys fit right in the moment that they stepped on NHL ice. This, and having the Crosby line, is why they are winning, not because of the skill of individual AHL players. Against a team with limited offensive, like the Rangers, this is good enough to win most nights.

RangersHank*

Then use the buyout on HIM ... or keep him and trade him later. Friggin Van kept Luongo riding the pine for almost 2 years before making a trade and Luongo actually busted his ass and kept trying. If Nash doesn't even want to TRY then he deserves to ride the bench. Tell him to drop 5 or 10 pounds too. Fat ****.

Richards-35 games played, 9 goals, 17 assists. 26 points. He IS the offense this year. The cool thing to do is make fun of him but him, Kreider and McDonagh have been our best players all year. Numbers dont lie.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The good: The team managed to fight back after falling behind twice.

The bad: They did it against a team who was missing half of their top-six forwards and their entire top-4 defensive group.

Moore and McDonagh played well on the blue line. Stepan was solid, but tried to force way too many passes on the PP. Kreider was alright. Hank looked closer to where he used to be. Zucc played well. Brassard played pretty well late in the game, but looked lousy early on. Richards is crap again. Nash looks scared to get hit. Girardi had a nice physical element to his game. Hags seems to look more confident.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Good effort and some guys stepped it up like J. Moore and Hagelin.

I'd rather McLIrath play against the Islanders over less than five minutes of Asham. Asham isn't bad but he's just there.

Also, the concussions have really effected Nash. He reminds me of Lindros in 2002-03 which is not good. I'm beginning to think the Rangers don't win anything with Nash as a primary piece :help:

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
just because the announcers keep harping on that doesnt mean that's the best play.

really, they should have gotten him moving side to side more in general...whatever hole you want to shoot at is your choice, but he looked to be off his angles laterally all night long....

It was my first thought to try that when the shootout began. Not when the announcers started harping on it. Still no impressive moves by anyone. And no goals.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We're not playing well, still. But we came from 2 goals behind in 2 straight games, got to a shootout each time. If they are looking for a turnaround, now is the time.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
So glad AV decided not to put Krieder on the PP in OT! AV needs to go!

Andrew Gross:
AV says Kreider held out of OT last night for not winning board battles/coming up with pucks/finishing checks. In OT, top 8-9 Fs play.

:shakehead

Does anyone else feel Nash is having issues with his knees/hips? He doesn't bend his legs to drive for power anymore like he used to. He skates straight up.

Nash is either hurt or playing scared to get hurt.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Andrew Gross:
AV says Kreider held out of OT last night for not winning board battles/coming up with pucks/finishing checks. In OT, top 8-9 Fs play.

:shakehead

Nash is either hurt or playing scared to get hurt.

I applaud the message.

But if thats the case, why did guys like Nash/Richards get big minutes?

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Despite losing in the shootout, this was still one of the most entertaining games of the season. If not, then at least one of the most entertaining 3rd periods of the season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
This team sucks.

The Penguins were without their top 4 D. Their bottom pair D was suspended. Maata and Dumoulin made two mistakes and the puck ended up in the net. The Rangers were lucky to get a point last night.

They needed 7 rounds to beat the Flames in the shootout and lost in the shootout last night.

totally agree here.

im usually a pretty positive guy, but im not seeing the things i need to see to be positive out there.

if we dominated this game and lost in a shootout thanks to unreal goaltending, that woulda been one thing. we didnt really do anything all that impressive last night...MAF was pretty awful and we didn't test him against a makeshift AHL defense.

zero reasons to be proud of this team.

tear it down, and get guys who can play the way AV wants.

Always been a torts fan, and I think Sather did a pretty good job of building a team that Torts could play that shot blocking gritty intense game...but for AV you need guys who can make some plays with the pucks....and get em on the cheap.

Case in point is Anton Stralman. Guy is perfect to play AVs style. calm with the puck, holds on to it, and makes good quick plays up. not going to put a lot of points up, but terrific at transitioning the puck from heading our way, to heading back the other way. Dan Girardi...not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad