Post-Game Talk: Penguins at Rangers 12/19/2013

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I am hopping that the low point was that first period vs Calgary and they are slowly getting back into what we saw earlier this season. Tonight was not for lack of effort, they just looked out of sync compared to the well oiled machine the Pens are.
They had their chances early, Nash hit an early post.
They need an infusion of top end talent. I'd take a chance on E Kane or Yak for the right price, maybe Morin from Hawks for Boyle?
And some size and grit on the bottom 6, I'd love Zach Smith on this team.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
The absolute worst thing about the game was the announcing. How does Doc keep his job? I hate Pierre and Eddie too. Their bias showed.

The good is: Hank was better... We came back from 2 down...I think we held our own or had the better of the play in the first period.

Nash floated most of the game.

In the shootout, they should have tried to open MAF's legs and go five hole like Hags did on the break away and like the game winning goal against Hank.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The absolute worst thing about the game was the announcing. How does Doc keep his job? I hate Pierre and Eddie too. Their bias showed.

The good is: Hank was better... We came back from 2 down...I think we held our own or had the better of the play in the first period.

Nash floated most of the game.

In the shootout, they should have tried to open MAF's legs and go five hole like Hags did on the break away and like the game winning goal against Hank.

just because the announcers keep harping on that doesnt mean that's the best play.

really, they should have gotten him moving side to side more in general...whatever hole you want to shoot at is your choice, but he looked to be off his angles laterally all night long....

RothmanHockey

NEW YORK – With how few wins the Rangers have gotten on the ice recently, perhaps a victory in the mind will serve as an elixir.

There were moral victories to take out of the Rangers shootout loss to the East’s best team. While Pittsburgh was missing 11 key regulars to injury or suspension, New York closed off the Penguins offense for a majority of the game.

Even when the Penguins (25-10-1) scored two goals in 61 seconds early in the third period to take a 3-1 lead, the Rangers (16-17-2) battled back, scoring the game-tying goal with 1:46 left in the third period.

http://insidehockey.com/rangers-battle-back-for-one-point-nothing-more

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Pens are 10 for 11 and most people are talking about them as if it was an AHL team. Names doesn't matter (tell AV that btw). 1 point and a SO loss is not at all bad, especially when trailing. Second comeback in a row shows some heart too. This is not at all that bad.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Pens are 10 for 11 and most people are talking about them as if it was an AHL team. Names doesn't matter (tell AV that btw). 1 point and a SO loss is not at all bad, especially when trailing. Second comeback in a row shows some heart too. This is not at all that bad.

Agreed with this.

Team still sucks tho.

sawtooth420

Jun 20, 2005
The hood'
Pens fan here and not trying to troll at all. I think you guys showed real guts battling back against us. And I know many of you think you were playing an AHL team since we only had one player on our defense with more than 40 NHL games (Niskanen), you can take solace in the fact that many of the Dmen we have in our system are better than many teams roster players. Our AHL Dmen are unbelievable, have been playing together for years, and I wish we'd shed some salary on the back end because we have some absolute studs waiting in the wings. We've been beating other decent teams too with all of our backups because our prospects on D are VERY good. You guys gave us more competition than other teams. After all, the Pens just held the Leafs to just one goal. The Rangers game tonight was very tense and I'm happy we were able to just pull out a win. Kudos on a great game!

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Not upset abou this loss at all, really. I was impressed with how the team fought back. Not worrying about this "AHL" crap that y'all are going on about... the kids the Pens have are obviously good as they've been winning games, so, it doesn't matter what their names are or how many NHL games they have under their belt. We had chances to the win the game/keep the Pens from scoring but the Pens just did a better job of both. It is what it is. This team is a .500 hockey team. I've accepted it. Not really worried about winning a cup this year lol.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Watching the replay now, lost count on how many times I shouted "shot the puck, Get the puck on the goal and Richardssss shoooooot"

No zuke or kreider for most of the ppv is head shaking at best..

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Am I the only one who is getting sick of the current lines?

Hagelin created all sorts of problems by falling off the map completely, but he has bounced back now and should be reinserted into the top-6 where he belongs.

Our current top 6 is IMO a mess since there is no balance at all. All the goal scorers are on one line and the playmakers on the other. The top line is inconsistent when it comes to driving the play, and Zuccarello has had to carry around Richards and Brassard on the second.

Reunite Zuccarello and Kreider, reunite Hagelin and Nash. Let Dorsett be the sparkplug on the 3rd. That is Callahan's spot when he returns.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Pouliot-Brassard-Dorsett
Moore-Boyle-Asham

Put Zucc back on the #1PP in place of either Kredier or Nash (we need at least 1 RH shot in Stepan).
PP1 (1-3-1):
Kreider
Stepan-Zuccarello-Richards
McDonagh

PP2 (1-3-1):
Hagelin
Strålman-Nash-Brassard
J. Moore/Del Zotto

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Don't know what's wrong with him, but he didn't look to engaged.

Get use to it. He is as inconsistent a "star" player as you will ever see. He has the tools to be great but not the consistent effort.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think you guys are blinded by the point. Had the Rangers not fought back to get that point, the positive posters who are harping the fact that the Pens weren't full of an AHL roster wouldn't be doing that. Is it great the Rangers fought back and got that point? Sure. But just like the Calgary game, it's embarrassing that it had to come to that.

They were missing 12.... TWELVE regular roster players, including their top four defensemen. We were home. The Rangers got absolutely dismantled by one line last night. Given that line had Crosby on it, but come on.

Del Zotto was an absolute disaster on that third goal.

I'll take the point, but come on. This team needs to be better.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Can someone get Nash the **** away from the PP? Zucc should be on that unit every day over Nash.

Hagelin, Zucc, Stralman, Brassard, Hank with a good game. Nash was horrible, as pointed out. Swap him and Hags. Nash need to get his **** together and stop ruining it for Kreider and Stepan.

We're lucky to get away with a point.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This team sucks.

The Penguins were without their top 4 D. Their bottom pair D was suspended. Maata and Dumoulin made two mistakes and the puck ended up in the net. The Rangers were lucky to get a point last night.

They needed 7 rounds to beat the Flames in the shootout and lost in the shootout last night.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I missed most of the game so can't comment on that specifically. Reading this thread though, it's clear that the dissapointment in the key players, "Nash, Richards, Stepan" continues to be a trend in virtually every game.

Personally, the thing that makes this team so infuriating is we are literally going no where at all. .500 team equals awful draft pick and no promise of progress. I can't stomach another mediocre season with mediocre talent with mediocre results.

The game has passed Richards by. I don't want to listen to him say how the team needs to be better only to watch him glide around the ice and be a complete non factor in most games.

Nash is honestly going to be a "would could have been." All I ever needed to know about him was a team with absolutely no talent in Columbus said "we don't want you here anymore" and traded him. He is completely emotionless and to watch him game after game is intolerable. He absolutely brings 50% to each game. He is lucky that his 50% is better than most other people's 100%.... But if Nash rarely taps into his other 50%, does it really matter?

This is why this team is so hard to get behind. I miss the hard working teams so much!

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I thought Stepan played well.

Some good defensive plays and ended up with 7 shots. Would be nice if he sunk a couple, but at least the effort was there and he's putting the puck on net

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Nash, Richards and Stepan on the PP in OT for about 1:45. They sucked. Cannot believe it. The reason is probably that AV desperately wants Nash to get a OT winner to light som sparks. Poor coaching, and might have cost a point.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A mediocre effort on our part. Rangers were chasing Crosby and his line mates around all night long. The other Pens lines pretty much held their own despite being chock full of has been NHL-AHL tweeners. The Rangers could not sustain a forecheck against the Pens mostly AHL defense unit. It's a talented AHL defense corps but even so.

Nash is a great talent. He is not much of a leader. Richards may have been a leader once he's not anymore. Zuccarello once again was our best forward. Zucc is a very good player but when he's your best forward night in and night out you have a problem. Unfortunately this seems to be the case all too often.

This year's Rangers team is not a very fun team to watch. Often this season I find myself leaving the game on but picking up a book or a guitar to mess around with while the play is going on. The Rangers do not play with a lot of emotion. When push comes to shove in physical battles they don't push back much. Other teams decide they want the game more and the Rangers let them have it. That trend continues and we're really going to look like crap at the end of the year when teams that want to make the playoffs more ratchet up their own effort.

Del Zotto getting undressed by Sutter reminds of Moore a few games ago playing the puck instead of the man which is why almost everyone hated Poti when he was here. Nice if you get the puck--not so nice if you don't. It's a soft easy way out play and he deserved to sit on the bench afterwards.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nash, Richards and Stepan on the PP in OT for about 1:45. They sucked. Cannot believe it. The reason is probably that AV desperately wants Nash to get a OT winner to light som sparks. Poor coaching, and might have cost a point.

The worst thing they did was to call the time out and keep them all out there. Richards takes a low % shot from the boards--not under pressure--misses the net and goes off the boards down to our end. PWP's don't work well when your own players are clearing the puck for the other team. Pierre made the point that the Rangers had three set up guys and one shooter. We had no one really making a nuisance of himself in front of their net. Should have had Kreider out for some of that PWP instead of dicking around on the perimeter so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad