GDT: Penguins at Flames. Mar 13 at 7pm MT on SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
He's going to need better sticks if he wants to STICK in this league. He won't if he keeps BUSTing them.

Really the only reason he was successful in junior was that his linemates had good sticks

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I've been pretty clear on how much I love Tkachuk, I don't think he played bad last night either. But man, what a good experience for him to see what the NHL is all about and where he needs to be. Man he is going to be special.

What sort of player would you compare him to? What's your projection?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What sort of player would you compare him to? What's your projection?

It's really tough, in todays NHL, prime Perry is probably the closest. But Tkachuk has way more skill and softer hands IMO. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he had a better career than Bertuzzi did and played a very similar game. Guys with that size, that can muck it up, score, pass, and have hands like butter, are basically like unicorns. I can't think of another player exactly like Tkachuk (or even really close to) in the NHL. If he can improve his skating, he's going to be unstoppable like Lindros was.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
It's really tough, in todays NHL, prime Perry is probably the closest. But Tkachuk has way more skill and softer hands IMO. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he had a better career than Bertuzzi did and played a very similar game. Guys with that size, that can muck it up, score, pass, and have hands like butter, are basically like unicorns. I can't think of another exact like Tkachuk player in the NHL. If he can improve his skating, he's going to be unstoppable like Lindros was.

He's like Perry, but an even more effective pest, with a better hockey IQ, more of a playmaker, and great defensive instincts.

So basically the perfect hockey player.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It's really tough, in todays NHL, prime Perry is probably the closest. But Tkachuk has way more skill and softer hands IMO. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he had a better career than Bertuzzi did and played a very similar game. Guys with that size, that can muck it up, score, pass, and have hands like butter, are basically like unicorns. I can't think of another player exactly like Tkachuk (or even really close to) in the NHL. If he can improve his skating, he's going to be unstoppable like Lindros was.

Bertuzzi is who I was thinking of as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bertuzzi is who I was thinking of as well.

I've compared Ferland to Bert as well, while I don't hate that, he doesn't have that upside. But Ferland is another big guy that can skate (and Bertuzzi could) and has soft hands and skill. Tkachuk is just on another level and has a real chance to have that type of career, possibly better.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think "in lieu" means what you think it means. :p:

R2hsH9F.png

Aug 3, 2010
I get goosebumps watching #1.

Watching the close-up replay, you can see how aware he is of what the situation that's developing in front of him actually looks like.

Time's ticking down. There's about 25 seconds, counting down, he's still making his way up the right wall. 23 seconds, he stops and takes it all in - mostly instinctively in a way you or I don't see the game.

It's split-second decision making, because there's a tell: he draws a deep breath, short, but you can see his cheeks puff out.
Basically, it says to me, "oh man, I don't think there's a play here," and we all know how Gaudreau likes to pass to the open side if he sees it.

Instead, in that moment, he elects to take the shot; skates in 5, 6 feet to the left looking for the opening before he wires it up and over on Andersen's short side. 20 seconds left in the game. Every move processed and executed in essentially 5 seconds of play.

Just brilliant.

Last edited:

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Watching the close-up replay, you can see how aware he is of what the situation that's developing in front of him actually looks like.

Time's ticking down. There's about 25 seconds, counting down, he's still making his way up the right wall. 23 seconds, he stops and takes it all in - mostly instinctively in a way you or I don't see the game.

It's split-second decision making, because there's a tell: he draws a deep breath, short, but you can see his cheeks puff out.
Basically, it says to me, "oh man, I don't think there's a play here," and we all know how Gaudreau likes to pass to the open side if he sees it.

Instead, in that moment, he elects to take the shot; skates in 5, 6 feet to the left looking for the opening before he wires it up and over on Andersen's short side. 20 seconds left in the game. Every move processed and executed in essentially 5 seconds of play.

Just brilliant.

Haha, just saw this top 10 list (I instinctively hit record on my remote when I heard they were doing one) and was thinking about the puffed out cheeks moment as well.
What a great memory that was.

As far as this GDT is concerned, I just powered my way through 26 pages front to back to relive what was one of the most intense regular season games I can remember (the last one that was close, but for a different reason was the one vs the Kings a few years ago to either get us into the playoffs officially, or very close).

You guys are great, I don't post often, but creep often.

Diehard through and through. The Boston game will be very difficult I think, but we get Khudobin, not Rask. Now that I've said that he'll channel a prime Nabokov and it'll be a tough night, but still a better shot than Rask gives you night over night.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Wow, prime Perry? That's some high praise. I'm not sure he'll attain that lofty standard, but, heck, I have to keep reminding myself he's still a rookie.

Thanks for all the other responses to that question by many others.

I'm not sure he has the soft hands of a Bertuzzi, nor the speed, and if you asked me Todd's career was hampered by other issues (as we all know).

I see some similarities with his dad. I doubt he'll get to that stature though.

What about Gary Roberts? So far less fighting, but that's down league-wide.

I feel I'm selling Matthew short when I think of his career potential/upside.

I see some comparable traits to Roberts; maybe an Andreychuk and Arnott too. I can't think of any other similar players.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What about Gary Roberts? So far less fighting, but that's down league-wide.

I feel I'm selling Matthew short when I think of his career potential/upside.

I see some comparable traits to Roberts; maybe an Andreychuk and Arnott too. I can't think of any other similar players.

I think people are having a hard time finding a good comparable to Chucky because he's very much a different animal than the regular stars of the league. There aren't a lot of guys who can physically get people involved like he can; but also have all the tools of a top offensive player.

It's a dying breed that he's sort of taking back. It'll actually be interesting to see how he progresses, teams are not employing players to deal with guys like Chucky anymore; I feel when he gets to 23, he's not only going to put up numbers, he's going to bully other teams.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I thought his hattrick against LA should've made it in. Turned around our whole season.

And speaking of #1, I wish Gaudreau had that shoot-first mentality more often. He might not have the best shot but he's often found himself in amazing scoring positions and attempted to play the perfect pass when he could've just shot it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA