Speculation: Penguins and Saad

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
20 Penguins Thoughts: Shopping season likely not over for Jim Rutherford

Saad is a similarly terrific choice. For years the Penguins have regretted letting him get away — and even made a run at him in 2015.

It’s unknown whether the Blackhawks would be willing to deal the 27-year-old Saad, but it’s hard to argue against his production; he’s averaged 24 goals per season over his past five, including 11 in 36 games this season.

With one more year remaining at $6 million, the Penguins would have to figure out how to make the money work for next year, but if they can move Galchenyuk or Bjugstad, Rutherford has definitely made tighter situations work.

My prediction? I’m going with Saad. The Penguins have always thought of him as the one who got away. Now is the perfect time to bring him back home. Rutherford has never prioritized the future over the present. Why start now?

The writer who published this article does have some credibility, he correctly said that the Penguins wanted Sheahan back in the summer of 2017 and he was also right that they wanted to acquire Galchenyuk. I know that this has been discussed some on here, but it's interesting to see a semi-credible beat writer saying it now too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm fine moving Saad to Pitt, but I don't want either of Galchenyuk or Bjugstad as part of the return.

I think the deal would probably be Bjugstad and a 1st for Saad, if I had to guess. The big reason for that is that Bjugstad and Saad both have 1 year left after this year, so that makes the salary swap much less dramatic than just trading Saad for futures.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I'm fine moving Saad to Pitt, but I don't want either of Galchenyuk or Bjugstad as part of the return.
I will take Bjugstad but not Galchenyuk. Already have too many "galchenyuks" on the team.

But like the writer said, we don't know if Stan is interested in trading Saad. He might figure the team is still going for the playoffs (they are not), and trade Saad in the summer or next year deadline or not at all.

He would be a good add for the Penguins, for sure.

Pens first is likely to be a terribly low one, but the draft is supposed to be deep this year. I don't know... maybe a prospect would be nicer, and a little closer to contributing? How's the Pens' prospect pool look like? Any good forwards?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pens first is likely to be a terribly low one, but the draft is supposed to be deep this year. I don't know... maybe a prospect would be nicer, and a little closer to contributing? How's the Pens' prospect pool look like? Any good forwards?

The Penguins do have a couple of good forward prospects in Poulin, Legare and Hallander, but I think JR would rather trade draft picks over them. I think he'd be much more willing to trade a 1st rounder over a 1st round caliber prospect, so he'd rather trade the 2020 1st over trading Poulin.

A lot of the Penguins near NHL ready young forwards don't have a super high upside, that's what they've been churning out in recent years. They haven't gotten a guy like Guentzel, Sheary or Rust since they got those guys, everyone since then has been more depth players like Blueger, Simon and ZAR. The next group of players, which are probably Lafferty (he's a NHLer right now), Johnson and Bjorkqvist, are also depth guys.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I think Saad is a perfect target for the Pens, but Chicago is still very much in the hunt for playoffs why would they trade him?

Seems unrealistic unless Chicago goes on a massive losing streak before the deadline.

Having said that, Bjugstad would absolutely have to be a part of it money-wise. NB, Hallander, and 2020 1st for Saad with 1m retained

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Strange, considering they would only be part of the deal for cap purposes since both of their deals expire at the end of the season. The value would be the pick.. but ok.

EDIT: I'm dumb, Bjugstad has an extra year.

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

One of them would most probably have to be part of the deal to make it work.
Like Florida did last year with Brassard, it would be up to the Hawks to flip out either player going their way if they don't wish to keep him.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Saad is overrated but who knows what he could do with one of Crosby/Malkin.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I think Saad is a perfect target for the Pens, but Chicago is still very much in the hunt for playoffs why would they trade him?

Seems unrealistic unless Chicago goes on a massive losing streak before the deadline.

Having said that, Bjugstad would absolutely have to be a part of it money-wise. NB, Hallander, and 2020 1st for Saad with 1m retained

We are technically "in the hunt" but this Hawks team is a pretender as currently constructed. The only reason we aren't last in the West is that Crow/Lehner have been fantastic.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Is Stan getting enough ridicule and mockery for Saad/Panarin? Now it will be Panarin for a 1st and Bjugstad? Haha

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1st round pick and your best prospect and he's yours.

No team is going to give a 1st and their best prospect for Saad. If a team is paying that much for a winger, they're aiming for better than Saad.

The best case scenario return for Saad is a 1st, a B prospect and a pending UFA worth around a 3rd, but that probably involves salary retention on Saad. That's what Brassard brought back in 2018 and I feel like he's pretty comparable to Saad now.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Saad isn’t overrated. He is an excellent 5 on 5 player and good PKer. His scoring over the years is almost all 5 on 5.

True story (again). He's a 50pt winger that gets barely any PP pts to pad his stats. Responsible two-way top 6 forward who is worth his contract. I'd be fine dealing him if a 1st+ is coming back.

I think some people are comparing him to his peak where he was seen as one of the better 2nd line wingers in hockey, and a 1st liner on some teams. For a while there, around the time of the trade, it looked like he could be a 30g Selke contention type winger.

Still a very good player, though. His 17-18 was just a bad year that people have trouble erasing.

No team is going to give a 1st and their best prospect for Saad. If a team is paying that much for a winger, they're aiming for better than Saad.

Agreed. That package gets Zucker, who is a younger and controlled Saad with a little bit of extra vision.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Galchenyuk wouldn't be the main piece. Draft pick/prospect likely would. He'd just be in the deal to make the cap work for the Pens, while being a UFA at season's end so the Hawks aren't stuck with his contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Galchenyuk wouldn't be the main piece. Draft pick/prospect likely would. He'd just be in the deal to make the cap work for the Pens, while being a UFA at season's end so the Hawks aren't stuck with his contract.

I think Galchenyuk would serve the purpose of what Cole served in the Brassard deal, a cap balancer that they'd immediately flip for a 3rd round pick or so.

I flip flop on which one of Galchenyuk or Bjugstad I see as more likely to be traded in that kind of deal. Galchenyuk makes sense because he's a rental that a rebuilding team could flip for another draft pick, but that makes less sense for the Penguins because of their cap situation for next year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think some people are comparing him to his peak where he was seen as one of the better 2nd line wingers in hockey, and a 1st liner on some teams. For a while there, around the time of the trade, it looked like he could be a 30g Selke contention type winger.

Still a very good player, though. His 17-18 was just a bad year that people have trouble erasing.
He is pretty much still what he was back then. 25G 25A with a good two way game. He can pot 30, but he was never going to be a Selke level winger.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

Disagree that Bjugstad or Galchenyuk must be a part of a trade. In fact right now I think I want to keep Bjugstad. Galchenyuk was supposed to take Kessel's spot in the top 6 but isn't working out, and Guentzel is hurt, so by my count we are in need of not 1 but 2 top 6 wingers. Rather than trading for 2, I'd like to try McCann at top 6 LW and have Bjugstad back fill his spot at C. That leaves one top 6 W to go, which is where Saad comes in. We fill both holes with 1 move.

At present, the Pens are cap compliant. Guentzel on LTIR gives them, 6m of cap space to work with, which coincidentally is a Saad shaped hole. We can go get Saad without any cap dumps going the other way, though I would push for a little retention if possible. Not a deal breaker though.

Galchenyuk will get moved in a separate deal, or will just ride pine and walk in the offseason. Realistically next season, when Guentzel returns, we need to ship out Bjugstad to get under the cap. Conveniently, with Guentzel back and Bjugstad gone, McCann just slides back to 3C, and all holes are again filled. This all hinges on Bjugstad getting moved in the summer, but while he won't have major trade value, I bet we can find a team interested in him for a late round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad