Proposal: Penguins and Arizona

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Ugh, this is not a productive area of discussion. Typically, I'd just bite my tongue on a main board, but because you continue to double-down on these flaccid attempts at insight, I'll roll the dice...

Let's start real easy. Let's ignore team needs and fit and systems and all that...let's ignore the skating, let's ignore the puck carrying, let's ignore technical skills, let's ignore the outlet passing, let's ignore these...and I mean that. Let's go with the notion that Niklas Hjalmarsson is a better defenseman than Kristopher Letang.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Alex Goligoski, Jason Demers, Jacob Chychrun, Luke Schenn, Kevin Connauton are the other regular d-men on the Coyotes. Which of them are also better (if any) than Letang...today?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
But, like.. they are probably losing Hammer next season. So, they are essentially moving Domi to give them the best one two offense punch on their D in the West and arguably the league.

The last time Letang had a healthy off season was 2016 and 2013. He finished 3rd and 4th in Norris votes.

The risk is totally worth it for the Yotes.

Also, the deal is essentially impossible with Letang’s NTC.
Letang was a great player. I don't believe Coyote fans are claiming otherwise. There is a legitimate concern about his long term health. One that I'm not sure many organizations are going to be super excited about.

As for Hjarlmarsson. He will be resigned. AZ just picked up
Kruger who is a close friend and Hjarlmarsson is viewed as someone who has been/is a key reason AZ is going to be able to extend OEL in the first place. That and the coaching staff love him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Letang was a great player. I don't believe Coyote fans are claiming otherwise. There is a legitimate concern about his long term health. One that I'm not sure many organizations are going to be super excited about.

As for Hjarlmarsson. He will be resigned. AZ just picked up
Kruger who is a close friend and Hjarlmarsson is viewed as someone who has been/is a key reason AZ is going to be able to extend OEL in the first place. That and the coaching staff love him.

He’s had a stroke and a bizarre neck injury. He just played the most games of his career this year. He’s missed two playoffs in his career.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He’s had a stroke and a bizarre neck injury. He just played the most games of his career this year. He’s missed two playoffs in his career.
And 3 previous concussions. It holds some weight. I think he's a great player. It doesn't mean I'd want that risk on my team. I don't see an owner of a small market team in AZ signing off on acquiring a player who has had a stroke. Not with a $7.25 M price tag with term. Great player. Not worth the risk. AZ isn't the team you should be targeting if you want to deal Letang.

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'd rather have a guy not as talented on my team in Niklas Hjarmalsson, but makes simple plays, over a brain dead turnover machine in Letang.

You'd rather have a rental, than a player with term?

Are Coyotes fans that confident that he's not going to free agency?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You'd rather have a rental, than a player with term?

Are Coyotes fans that confident that he's not going to free agency?
Why are fans on this forum so petrified by expiring deals? It’s a great way to see if things are a good fit. If both sides are happy and things are working out, then an extension is great. If things aren’t working out well, then you get to move on. I’m so much more wary of being stuck in bad deals than I am of mutual try before buy.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
Kris Letang and Conor Sheary

For

Niklas Hjarmalsson and Max Domi

Looking at AZ defense they have a plethora of LHD (OEL, Hammer, Goligoski, Chychrun). Adding a top pairing RHD could better balance their top 4. They also acquire a guy who struggled this season but can provide depth scoring and speed.

The Pens get a guy who won’t produce as much offense from the back end but is arguably much better at actually defending which the team needs. Max Domi is a big piece here too. He’s a talented guy that struggled this season and was rumored to be available earlier in the year. He could use a fresh start and could light it up with Sid/Malkin.

Thoughts?
Big no from the Pens.
Letang>>>> Hjarmalsson
Domi>= Sheary
Domi could prove to be more but hasnt shown it yet.

Guentzel(21points in the playoffs 1.75ppg) and Crosby(21 points 1.75ppg in the playoffs) are fine together. Phil and Malkin are fine together....

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Lol awful. Damn do people misjudge Letang off a few bad games. He's still alot better than Hammer.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
If Coyotes sign OEL do they really want Letangs contract? Big gamble for a player going downhill and no insight in his health. Bla bla doctorsjournal, but that doesnt say everything.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Kris Letang and Conor Sheary
For
Niklas Hjarmalsson and Max Domi
Not interested in seeing a Crosby-less Sheary ... not totally sold he's that great. Plus he's 25 so he's probably at or very close to his peak and Domi might have a bit of growth left in him.
Why are fans on this forum so petrified by expiring deals? It’s a great way to see if things are a good fit. If both sides are happy and things are working out, then an extension is great. If things aren’t working out well, then you get to move on. I’m so much more wary of being stuck in bad deals than I am of mutual try before buy.
Video game generation. On Xbox, when you acquires a player with an Overall rating of 85 and an Offensive Awareness rating of 90, you can be sure he'll get you 30 goals. He'll never be a bad fit for the scheme or had a bad relationship with the coach. He'll never hate living in Edmonton. So longer term is always better than shorter term, Mike Ribeiro's coke habit be damned.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Same obsession you have with him in this thread but are not willing to delve deeper than overly-simplistic surface-level things...you have about 10, one-line anti-Letang posts that say the same thing in a thread with 40 replies or whatever. And it's not apparent that you are an Arizona or Pittsburgh supporter either to add to it...

The obsession doesn't lie where you think it seems...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How about something revolving around Goligoski instead?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Letang is injury prone,brain dead prone, and expensive. At their best, Letang may be better. But said reasons above is why the yotes should say no.

And you’re right, they do say no. Letang has had how many concussions now? We’ll keep the Swedish culture alive in the desert. Not to mention Arizona has not given up on Max Domi, either. Dude was rock solid coming down the stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad