Proposal: Penguins and Arizona

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Kris Letang and Conor Sheary

For

Niklas Hjarmalsson and Max Domi

Looking at AZ defense they have a plethora of LHD (OEL, Hammer, Goligoski, Chychrun). Adding a top pairing RHD could better balance their top 4. They also acquire a guy who struggled this season but can provide depth scoring and speed.

The Pens get a guy who won’t produce as much offense from the back end but is arguably much better at actually defending which the team needs. Max Domi is a big piece here too. He’s a talented guy that struggled this season and was rumored to be available earlier in the year. He could use a fresh start and could light it up with Sid/Malkin.

Thoughts?

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
You're not going to get a positive response from penguin fans.

Prepare yourself for what is to come.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Hjalmarsson prefers the right side. Also the coyotes were 2nd overall for defensive scoring 5 on 5 last season, no need to add more offensively minded D men.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Why would Arizona say no to this?

They essentially move what will be an upcoming overpaid UFA and a player they’ve supposedly lost faith in for a top ten offensive D man that they can shield in a #3 role.

Letang is injury prone,brain dead prone, and expensive. At their best, Letang may be better. But said reasons above is why the yotes should say no.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Letang is injury prone,brain dead prone, and expensive. At their best, Letang may be better. But said reasons above is why the yotes should say no.

But, like.. they are probably losing Hammer next season. So, they are essentially moving Domi to give them the best one two offense punch on their D in the West and arguably the league.

The last time Letang had a healthy off season was 2016 and 2013. He finished 3rd and 4th in Norris votes.

The risk is totally worth it for the Yotes.

Also, the deal is essentially impossible with Letang’s NTC.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I honestly think this is a fair trade. The sentimentality of Letang to Pittsburgh will push them away if they’re not drooling at the offer, but I think the basis of this is fair.

Domi adds toughness, skill, and grit to a weak pens lineup that needs what he has. Plus he’s a top 6 forward that would create magic with Crosby.

Sheary doesn’t seem to be much of he’s not tied to Crosby’s side.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This trade is atrocious for the Penguins unless you pretend Domi still has the value he had as a rookie. This website is terrible when it comes to player valuation.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
This trade is atrocious for the Penguins unless you pretend Domi still has the value he had as a rookie. This website is terrible when it comes to player valuation.
Max Domi is absolutely a noticeable upgrade on offense from Sheary. And yes Letang holds more value, but hammer will do a better job of keeping pucks out of our net then Letang does. We already have an offensive denfenseman that can QB a PP in Schultz.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
But, like.. they are probably losing Hammer next season. So, they are essentially moving Domi to give them the best one two offense punch on their D in the West and arguably the league.

The last time Letang had a healthy off season was 2016 and 2013. He finished 3rd and 4th in Norris votes.

The risk is totally worth it for the Yotes.

Also, the deal is essentially impossible with Letang’s NTC.
I’d prefer to keep Domi and Hjalmarsson. Domi has great chemistry with Strome. Hjalmarsson is great buddies with OEL and best buddies with Kruger. I think he’ll stay. He was fantastic when he wasn’t hurt last year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Max Domi is absolutely a noticeable upgrade on offense from Sheary. And yes Letang holds more value, but hammer will do a better job of keeping pucks out of our net then Letang does. We already have an offensive denfenseman that can QB a PP in Schultz.
These are the reasons Arizona would likely decline the deal. We need to make a move or two or three. Just not this one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd rather have a guy not as talented on my team in Niklas Hjarmalsson, but makes simple plays, over a brain dead turnover machine in Letang.

And that's why you're not a GM. You take Letang over Hjalmarsson 100% of the time because he's an insanely better player.

A. The Penguins don't need an upgrade on Sheary.
B. The value is absolute garbage from the Penguins POV. Trading Letang for a young guy we don't need and a pending UFA defenseman is a terrible idea.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
And that's why you're not a GM. You take Letang over Hjalmarsson 100% of the time because he's an insanely better player.

A. The Penguins don't need an upgrade on Sheary.
B. The value is absolute garbage from the Penguins POV. Trading Letang for a young guy we don't need and a pending UFA defenseman is a terrible idea.

Except....he isn't.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
No thanks from Pittsburgh.

At some point, you cross a threshold (perhaps it's making a post to every other response?), where you're talking about a player with limited hockey sense so much that you end up turning the gun on yourself...ironically enough...

Each defenseman listed in the trade has some limitations, no question...there's lipstick on both pigs, I wouldn't try to pimp the notion that one them lies in cleaner ****...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad