Penguins All Decade Team

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Id put Daley in the D for certain... if Hagelin makes it so does he

And I get wanting to keep HBK intact Nd all, but that line was only good for a small portion of one season... Staal had a much greater impact than Bonino did and is a far greater talent.. as for the rest most are obvious.
the centers are set in stone.
As are the two goalies
The wingers you know jake kessel duper kunitz horny and neal should be there... after that hagelin is a great choice for what he meant for the turnaround

Rust is fine as the last pick, but heck TK or Cooke probably could be swapped in just for the LOLs

On D letang and dumo are no brainers.. Orps was losing his legs by this decade, but useful.. and his overall body of work here was solid. maatta was key in two cup runs... Martin was the second best D During the squandered years... Daley sparked a turnaround and was martinesque in his limited time here. Nisky and Shultz were both scrap heap rejects that refurbished their careers here... cole likewise revamped himself here and was a great fit for us...

Any of them are good picks

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Wasn't sure about Niskanen. He did a good job during (as @madinsomniac refers to) "the squandered years." However, he's done some things to piss people off since then.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
There is a thread on the main boards, but I wanted to see if we could come up with a consensus amongst Pen fans.

Dupuis - Crosby - Guentzel
Neal - Malkin - Kunitz
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Rust - Staal - Hornqvist

Letang - Dumo
Orpik - Maatta
Martin - Schultz

Murray
Fluery

Another Pen fan suggested Niskanen instead of Maatta, which I can't really argue with, and originally I had Cullen and forgot Hornqvist. All in all I feel like we may have the easiest list to make.

Any other options that may have been left out?

No disrespect to Hornqvist, but that fourth line has to be Staal, Cooke and Kennedy. Sometimes chemistry makes a thing more than the sum of its parts and the Staal line had it and then some.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
We'd better knock it off. You just know at least one poster is gonna come in here and lecture us about what a unheralded hero Craig Adams actually was and we were all just too dumb to appreciate him. Then I'll have to get mad all over again and oh god it's actually my fault, isn't it?

I'll be the guy. Adams was a warrior in 2011. Granted, that was one year, but it wasn't all bad with him. Just mostly bad :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Guentzel Crosby Dupuis
Kunitz Malkin Hornqvist
Hagelin Bonino Kessel
Cooke Staal Kennedy
Cullen

Dumoulin Letang
Maatta Daley
Orpik Gonchar
Cole Schultz

Murray
Fleury

Reactions: Beauner

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I'd be interested to see a 2000-2009 team.

Lemieux-Crosby-Jagr
Straka-Malkin-Kovalev
Malone-Lang-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Recchi

Gonchar-Whitney
Kaspariatis-Tarnstrom
Orpik-Letang

Fleury
Hedberg

Left off guys like Palffy and Hossa who were only here for a short while but both good enough to get in on right wing which is already really deep. Obviously center is stacked, but left wing is slim pickings. The best two "left wingers" are both natural centers who have spent time on left wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: billybudd

vtmx

Aug 27, 2019
Prague, CZE
Guentzel - Crosby - Hörnqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Dupuis - Staal - Sheary
13th F: Cullen

Letang - Martin
Määttä - Gonchar
Schultz - Dumoulin
7th D: Cole

Fleury
Murray
3rd G: Vokoun or Johnson

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd be interested to see a 2000-2009 team.

Lemieux-Crosby-Jagr
Straka-Malkin-Kovalev
Malone-Lang-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Recchi

Gonchar-Whitney
Kaspariatis-Tarnstrom
Orpik-Letang

Fleury
Hedberg

Left off guys like Palffy and Hossa who were only here for a short while but both good enough to get in on right wing which is already really deep. Obviously center is stacked, but left wing is slim pickings. The best two "left wingers" are both natural centers who have spent time on left wing.
It's crazy to me that the same decade saw the Penguins dress Jagr, Robert Lang, Marty Straka and Dick Tarnstrom, but also Sidney Crosby, Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin. I know there was a lockout and rule changes but when I think of 2001 NHL and 2009 NHL they seem so much more different than if you compared 2011 NHL vs. 2019 NHL.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

TheTang58

Nov 30, 2018
Guentzel Crosby Iginla
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Hagelin Staal Kessel
Dupuis Bonino Hornqvist
x Cullen

Dumoulin Letang
Martin Schultz
Määttä Daley
x Goligoski

Fleury
Murray

Not sure how the chemistry would work out but I think those are the best players available. You could make a case that Niskanen should be in the top 6 d but #### that guy.

TheTang58

Nov 30, 2018
Now I'm second-guessing my bottom pairing. Määttä/Daley or Goligoski/Lovejoy? Thoughts? I went with the first because they actually played together on two cup-winning teams but the second might be better at least on paper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad