Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Cooke - Staal - Dupuis

Martin - Letang
Dumoulin - Gonchar
Cole - Schultz

Vokoun
Murray

I'm almost totally on board with this except I don't think it's fair to include Vokoun over Fleury. Vokoun was great in his time here, but Fleury played a much more important role for the team for a much longer period of time.

It's a bit "left of field," but I also think I might include Daley over Gonchar. Daley was a huge factor in turning the team around in 2015-16 and an even bigger factor in the 2017 Letangless cup run. Gonchar was great for the Penguins but I associate him more with the previous decade than the 2010s, in which he barely played for the Pens.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We'd better knock it off. You just know at least one poster is gonna come in here and lecture us about what a unheralded hero Craig Adams actually was and we were all just too dumb to appreciate him. Then I'll have to get mad all over again and oh god it's actually my fault, isn't it?

Bah gawd, that's DeerDiary's theme music. But.. where's it coming from?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
One of the things that always annoys me about these "All-Decade/All-Time" threads, is people taking a player that played for us on their decline and then being like "Well, he was an all-star on 3 previous teams 15 years before that, so let's put him on L1". :laugh:

I'm looking at you, Iginla.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
am I wrong in thinking that the only players on this team should be guys who contributed to a cup?

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Dupuis-Staal-Kennedy

Dumoulin-Letang
Daley-Maatta
Cole-Schultz

Fleury/Murray

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
am I wrong in thinking that the only players on this team should be guys who contributed to a cup?

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Dupuis-Staal-Kennedy

Dumoulin-Letang
Daley-Maatta
Cole-Schultz

Fleury/Murray

Nah, I think that too, especially since the Crosby-era hasn't produced such a monumentally underachieving-yet-stacked team like the 1992-1993 squad.

Reactions: Beauner

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
What I'd really like to see is the all moron-era Pens squad-- 1996 through 2005. That's an intellectual exercise for ya!

Straka - Lang - Kovalev
Yadda - Yadda - Jagr
Yadda - Yadda - Yadda
Yadda - Jan Hrdina - Yadda

Something like this? Throw in Ron Francis, maybe Stu Barnes. On defense we only need one player: Dick Tarnstrom.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
One of the things that always annoys me about these "All-Decade/All-Time" threads, is people taking a player that played for us on their decline and then being like "Well, he was an all-star on 3 previous teams 15 years before that, so let's put him on L1". :laugh:

I'm looking at you, Iginla.

I'm just going to silently slink away before adding my Alexei Kovalev comment into the debate ...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Straka - Lang - Kovalev
Yadda - Yadda - Jagr
Yadda - Yadda - Yadda
Yadda - Jan Hrdina - Yadda

Something like this? Throw in Ron Francis, maybe Stu Barnes. On defense we only need one player: Dick Tarnstrom.

Good start, but it needs more Kelly Buchberger. I suggest your top 6 look something like this:

Straka - Lang - Kovalev/Buchberger
Beranek - Miller - Jagr/Buchberger

Hell, let's just triple shift Buchberger and get the most out of him!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Guentzel-Cro

I'm almost totally on board with this except I don't think it's fair to include Vokoun over Fleury. Vokoun was great in his time here, but Fleury played a much more important role for the team for a much longer period of time.

It's a bit "left of field," but I also think I might include Daley over Gonchar. Daley was a huge factor in turning the team around in 2015-16 and an even bigger factor in the 2017 Letangless cup run. Gonchar was great for the Penguins but I associate him more with the previous decade than the 2010s, in which he barely played for the Pens.

Vokoun is my favorite goaltender of all time.

#bias. I think stabilizing Gonchar from 2010 with Dumo would be an insane pairing.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Good start, but it needs more Kelly Buchberger. I suggest your top 6 look something like this:

Straka - Lang - Kovalev/Buchberger
Beranek - Miller - Jagr/Buchberger

Hell, let's just triple shift Buchberger and get the most out of him!

We need to find some ice-time for Milan Kraft and German Titov, so maybe just double shift Buchberger.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Hagelin - Staal - Kessel
Dupuis - Bonino - Rust
Cooke

Dumoulin - Letang
Orpik - Gonchar
Niskanen - Daley
Cole

Fleury
Murray

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Can't forget these guys

maxresdefault.jpg

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Lineup:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Dupuis - Staal - Kennedy

Martin - Letang
Dumoulin - Daley
Cole - Niskanen

Fleury
Murray

HS: Cullen, Rust, Schultz
HM: Brent Johnson

Coaching Staff:

Sullivan, Reirden (defense and PP), Bylsma (forwards and PK), and Martin (eye in the sky).

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Damn, @Shady Machine brought up a good point when referring to Whitney. That of leaves Orpik and Gonch - whose best days were in '08 and '09 - out of the discussion. Same goes for Talbot, kind of...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->