Confirmed with Link: Penguins Acquire Winger Lee Stempniak for a 3rd Round Pick

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Thanks for the writeup. Sounds good. Pens PK is ranked #2 in the NHL but the one bugaboo about it has been they can't score or even generate many chances short-handed. Sounds like Stemp will help that.

though not really surprising with Glass and Adams leading the charge. I hope they add Stempniak into the rotation, preferably paired with someone who has speed like Sutter or Vitale.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
though not really surprising with Glass and Adams leading the charge. I hope they add Stempniak into the rotation, preferably paired with someone who has speed like Sutter or Vitale.

Agreed. The losses of Cooke and Dupuis have also hurt the PK's ability to generate short-handed chances. Hopefully Stemp gets some of their old minutes. Adams has been playing way too much on the PK this season. He's played about 22 seconds more per game this year than last but a lot of that has been due to departures and injuries... and the fact DB overrates and overplays the hell out of him.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Can't say I've actually watched this guy play a ton, but just some quick stat checking shows he's been good for at least mid-teens goals per year playing on mostly bad and/or defensive minded teams. He may not be the long term winger we want, but I think if he meshes well with Sid he could at least replace Dupuis.

This trade deadline is going to be judged based off of how well BB plays when he comes back. If he's the legit top-6 winger some claim he is and plays well, then we'll look back on this and say we severely upgraded our third line for a few draft picks and put ourselves in a good position. If he either doesn't come back or plays poorly like some fear, then we'll say we got two players like we wanted, but instead of a top 6 guy and a bottom 6 guy we just got two tweeners like we always do.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Our bottom 6 is far better today than it was yesterday. That is vitally important. Kobasuck is gone, and Stemps and Goc can play some minutes in the top 6 if need be. They are best used on the 3rd line, however.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Can't say I've actually watched this guy play a ton, but just some quick stat checking shows he's been good for at least mid-teens goals per year playing on mostly bad and/or defensive minded teams. He may not be the long term winger we want, but I think if he meshes well with Sid he could at least replace Dupuis.

This trade deadline is going to be judged based off of how well BB plays when he comes back. If he's the legit top-6 winger some claim he is and plays well, then we'll look back on this and say we severely upgraded our third line for a few draft picks and put ourselves in a good position. If he either doesn't come back or plays poorly like some fear, then we'll say we got two players like we wanted, but instead of a top 6 guy and a bottom 6 guy we just got two tweeners like we always do.

He's going to help this team, no matter where he is, that's what we should all be happy about.

If you expect a star winger, you will be disappointed. If you expect a versatile guy with skill who is fun to watch, you will like Stemps.

If he can go on one of his streaks he will make a big impact, if not he will still help in a ton of other ways. The biggest thing to keep in mind, though, is when/if he gets hot, don't get overly excited and think he will sustain that pace. He cost a third for a reason; he's streaky.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Our bottom 6 is far better today than it was yesterday. That is vitally important. Kobasuck is gone, and Stemps and Goc can play some minutes in the top 6 if need be. They are best used on the 3rd line, however.

Yep, these 2 moves will move a lot of crap down (Pyatt, Glass) or out (Kobasew) of the lineup. Which was really a huge part of the problem, all of the dead space in the bottom 6 getting ice time.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Stempniak immediately becomes the best option for 1RW, at least with BB out.

Good tryout situation there. If it doesn't work out then you can have Bennett slotted in, or worst case scenario we know Gibbons can at least skate with Crosby.

So we have

Kunitz - Crosby - Stemp/Bennett
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Goc - Sutter - Stemp/Bennett
Glass - Vitale - Adams

with Gibbons, Pyatt and Megna if needed. Better than before yesterday started.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
This team will go as far as Sid, Geno, Kunitz, Neal and Marc-Andre carries them. These two additions will only be a slight but not major improvement. .

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This team will go as far as Sid, Geno, Kunitz, Neal and Marc-Andre carries them. These two additions will only be a slight but not major improvement. .

If BB can play well with Crosby, Stemps Sutter Goc gives you a really nice third line that can score and play a shutdown role as well.

I'd say that is a pretty significant upgrade.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
They are saying about Goc that he is good on the faceoffs and PK, if so, then Sutter should never be allowed to take a face-off on the PK, he is really, really bad on face-offs.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
If BB can play well with Crosby, Stemps Sutter Goc gives you a really nice third line that can score and play a shutdown role as well.

I'd say that is a pretty significant upgrade.

Yeah, two decent options there that could even be an upgrade on Dupuis right now (and especially how he played to start the year). So we "should" see a small upgrade at first line RW, and certainly on the third line.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
you guys are going to LOVE this. Stempniak is already friends with three current penguins? guess which ones:

[spoil] Tanner Glass, Brooks Orpik and Taylor Pyatt [/spoil]

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 5m
New #Pens F Lee Stempniak is already buddies with three Penguins players. Want to know who? Read more: http://pens.pe/1cEQd6I

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/441585259105509377

Super.

I was just saying that I wished that the Pens were more clubby and country clubish with everyone man crushing on one another in a big Pens' Bromance.

That is what has been wrong with this team, not chummy enough.

Penguinzilla*

you guys are going to LOVE this. Stempniak is already friends with three current penguins? guess which ones:

[spoil] Tanner Glass, Brooks Orpik and Taylor Pyatt [/spoil]

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 5m
New #Pens F Lee Stempniak is already buddies with three Penguins players. Want to know who? Read more: http://pens.pe/1cEQd6I

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/441585259105509377

“He was (a better student). 100 percent he was,†Glass laughed.

Tanner "Yoda" Glass

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
This just shows me how the Penguins organization succesfully brainwashed entire Pens nation, fans media etc....
We are happy with addition of Lee F...... Stempniak to Sidney F...... Corosby's side, Sidney Crosby if you did not hear before is THE BEST HP in the whole world and has to carry garbage all his life,

Unbelievable!

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
This just shows me how the Penguins organization succesfully brainwashed entire Pens nation, fans media etc....
We are happy with addition of Lee F...... Stempniak to Sidney F...... Corosby's side, Sidney Crosby if you did not hear before is THE BEST HP in the whole world and has to carry garbage all his life,

Unbelievable!

This is the thing, we expected to get Sid's winger yesterday, Shero already said it wouldn't happen earlier in the year. We got a player we wished we had for the last 2 years who gives us depth and options. I'm satisfied not happy

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
This is the thing, we expected to get Sid's winger yesterday, Shero already said it wouldn't happen earlier in the year. We got a player we wished we had for the last 2 years who gives us depth and options. I'm satisfied not happy

I am not saying Stemp will not be an upgrade, but watching every great player in the NHL (Toews, Giroux, Stamkos, etc...) and comparing their supporting players with what he had to work with, makes me really sad, that we will never see true greatness.

It is more a testament to Sid's great ability that he is still the best player (with the stats and all, that he made an average winger such as Kunitz a relevant palyer) with all that crap not that the management put him in position to get there...

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I am not saying Stemp will not be an upgrade, but watching every great player in the NHL (Toews, Giroux, Stamkos, etc...) and comparing their supporting players with what he had to work with, makes me really sad, that we will never see true greatness.

It is more a testament to Sid's great ability that he is still the best player (with the stats and all, that he made an average winger such as Kunitz a relevant palyer) with all that crap not that the management put him in position to get there...

Oh believe me I agree, I think its pathetic we haven't got Sid his running mate yet. We should've traded Staal earlier to go out to ANA. Kunitz is going to be relevant for maybe a year or 2, FA is where we're going to have our slim pickings...

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
there seems to be a lot of dumb players on this team, so its good to have another ivy league player to up the average IQ of the team.

heoret is the hockey frat at dartmouth. apparently it had an interesting mix of hockey players that would bang the chicks from the hot sororities while there was another group of dudes that were in the hockey frat but didnt actually play hockey. they were just kind of there to pay due money. they got all of lovejoy's and stempniak's sloppy seconds.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I'm stoked TBTH. It's a little sad Shero has reduced us to this after Crosby being in the league for 8 yrs since he took over, but whatever it is what it is.

However, Stemps is more creative and skilled than Dupes, so this will actually be the best winger Crosby has had in sometime.

So it's either glass half full or half empty... I prefer the former.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
They are saying about Goc that he is good on the faceoffs and PK, if so, then Sutter should never be allowed to take a face-off on the PK, he is really, really bad on face-offs.

Well, considering Bylsma almost never uses his best FO guy in Vitale on faceoffs in PK already, I have no faith in him getting a clue anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad