Confirmed with Link: Penguins Acquire Winger Lee Stempniak for a 3rd Round Pick

No Quarter*

Stempniak looks like a legit first liner when he gets hot. His problem that he is the streakiest player I have seen play for Calgary in quite some time. But if he's not producing, he won't be a liability defensively and his speed/smart make him a constant shorthanded threat.

He sounds alot like Dupuis by the way you're describing him.
I personally never seen him play that much.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Bennett will be on the 3rd line when he comes back; bank on it. He may get occasional shifts with Sid or Geno but most of his time will be on line 3. Bylogic.

Stempniak won't increase the first line's product that much but every little bit helps. Certainly better than putting Gibbons or Megna there.

Kunitz - Sid - Stempy
Juice - Geno - Neal
Sutter - Goc - Bennett

Not sure what will happen next year with lines 3 and 4 though. Thinking Goc will be our 4th line C but who knows. Hopefully we cut some deadweight loose this summer and get Kesler somehow.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He sounds alot like Dupuis by the way you're describing him.
I personally never seen him play that much.

He's nothing like Dupuis. He has skill. He can beat guys 1-1 and dishes the puck well.

The only similarity is they both skate fast.

Xavier Laflamme*

Bennett will be on the 3rd line when he comes back; bank on it. He may get occasional shifts with Sid or Geno but most of his time will be on line 3. Bylogic.

Stempniak won't increase the first line's product that much but every little bit helps. Certainly better than putting Gibbons or Megna there.

Kunitz - Sid - Stempy
Juice - Geno - Neal
Sutter - Goc - Bennett

Not sure what will happen next year with lines 3 and 4 though. Thinking Goc will be our 4th line C but who knows. Hopefully we cut some deadweight loose this summer and get Kesler somehow.

What I'm hoping for as well. I don't how it's going to shape up though. If Letang comes back fine as well as Dupuis, I don't know how well be able to afford Kesler without trading/cutting salary. I know the caps going up so I guess we'll see. It still frustrates me to no end that we don't have Crosby's long term RW yet. Maybe that's Bennett. Who knows.

Xavier Laflamme*

Also, I don't know if we'll be able to outbid teams like Philly, Anaheim, Chicago etc...I felt like this deadline was our best chance. Hope I'm wrong though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Another note I just remembered on Stempniak... Last season I believe, he lead the league in short handed points.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Stemps is nothing like D'ags but good try.

Sorry, I thought they were both inconsistent right handed right wingers with good shots at almost he same size with a few good seasons but haven't done anything in recent years. I must be thinking off another guy because these two are night and day.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Flames fan in peace.
When he is hot, he is hot. However even when he isn't scoring goals he still seems to do everything right. If he's put on your PK expect more SH chances (he was the reason why Calgary lead the league earlier on in SH goals, before he got injured). It's hard not to like him.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Also, I don't know if we'll be able to outbid teams like Philly, Anaheim, Chicago etc...I felt like this deadline was our best chance. Hope I'm wrong though.

Kesler does have a NTC, so he has control over where he wants to go. That could help the Penguins in a bidding war if he views Pittsburgh as the first team he'd like to go to.

maxpenguins6630

Apr 13, 2004
Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Neal-Malkin-Juice
Goc-Sutter-Megna/Bennett
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Not bad but when Bennett returns I wanna see him with Sutter and Goc.

I am throwing this lineup also:

Kunitz-Crosby-Malkin
Neal-Sutter-Juice
Bennett-Goc-Stempniak
Glass-Vitale-Adams

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I love Stempniak...people are hating on him cause we all expected Kesler, but think back to every deadline, a bunch of us have wanted Stempniak for like the last 2 years

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Stempniak can also play the point on the powerplay, so if nothing else, they added a couple of versatile players today.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Stempniak can also play both wings which makes him Bylsma-proof. So that's nice.

Shero is gradually adapting to the stupidity, taking away things Bylsma can mess with.

I seriously think there is no such thing as a player being Bylsma proof, he'll find a way. Playing them out of position, out of their depth, putting them on a poorly built line, putting them somewhere they have no chemistry, forcing them to be something they're not, etc. He'll manage it.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Stempniak can also play the point on the powerplay, so if nothing else, they added a couple of versatile players today.

These guys give our 2nd PP a huge kick, so many options:

Goc-Sutter-BB/Stempniak

Martin/Stempniak-Maatta

I do think we've improved, and without gutting anything

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Shero is gradually adapting to the stupidity, taking away things Bylsma can mess with.

I seriously think there is no such thing as a player being Bylsma proof, he'll find a way. Playing them out of position, out of their depth, putting them on a poorly built line, putting them somewhere they have no chemistry, forcing them to be something they're not, etc. He'll manage it.

Including Bennett, 4 of the 6 wingers in our top 9 can play both sides (Beau, Jokinen, Neal and Stempniak). It really limits Bylsma being able to screw things up. The versatility we have on the roster helps. With Kobasew gone, if Shero could just get rid of at least one part of Gladams and call up Megna, the roster would be pretty close to completely Bylsma-Proof.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I wish it was Adams contract coming up instead of Glass'. Tanner's been a nice 12th forward this year, its a real shame that Adams has been so useless.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
These guys give our 2nd PP a huge kick, so many options:

Goc-Sutter-BB/Stempniak

Martin/Stempniak-Maatta

I do think we've improved, and without gutting anything

Plus Jokinen who will be there ahead of Goc or Sutter.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Flames fan in peace.
When he is hot, he is hot. However even when he isn't scoring goals he still seems to do everything right. If he's put on your PK expect more SH chances (he was the reason why Calgary lead the league earlier on in SH goals, before he got injured). It's hard not to like him.

Thanks for the writeup. Sounds good. Pens PK is ranked #2 in the NHL but the one bugaboo about it has been they can't score or even generate many chances short-handed. Sounds like Stemp will help that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad