Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Marcel Goc for 2014 5th rounder, 2015 3rd rounder

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Kunitz - Crosby - Stempniak
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Gibbons - Goc - Sutter
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Pyatt

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The center doesn't always have to take the draws. Goc can play wing and still take quite a bit of the draws for his line. I think Sutter still stays in the middle. Goc has experience on the wing and Sutter got eaten alive along the wall in his lone game on the wing against Washington this year.

amf1717

Nov 24, 2013
Hopefully Megna comes back soon and he can then remove Gibbons from the lineup. A third line of Goc-Sutter-Megna is not bad

LostLiquorLicense

Jul 13, 2009
Pittsburgh
The center doesn't always have to take the draws. Goc can play wing and still take quite a bit of the draws for his line. I think Sutter still stays in the middle. Goc has experience on the wing and Sutter got eaten alive along the wall in his lone game on the wing against Washington this year.

Agreed. I hope that's what they go with.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sid, Geno, Sutter, JJ, Vitale, Adams and now Goc. 7... 7 centers.

Don't forget, Gibbons and Megna can also play centre. Gibbons is a natural C, I think.

Overpaid for Goc considering the prices other forwards went for. Not impressed by Shero's trade deadline if that is all.

EDIT: Slightly better with Stempniak but so much for the rental situation although both seem undersized

Well, I may have been just as happy to make no moves at all, but the fact that we still have our 1st rounder this year and next, our 2nd next year, Bennett/Megna/Despres/Dumoulin/Pouliot/Harrington and everyone else, I'm extremely happy.

Clearly, we don't want to just give up this year and throw in the towel, but at the same time, they realized both their folly from last year of giving up so much for pure rentals, and also realizing this is not their year to go "all in".

Also, as others mentioned, at least they got guys who they have a legit interest or chance of re-signing. In particular, I see Goc as being a guy who we could re-sign, and be a 3rd line C fill in for 1-3 years until Sundqvist arrives. This would allow us to move Sutter for a pretty significant asset. We could probably even get a mid-first rounder in this year's draft, or a good (but not elite) young forward for Sutsy. It gives us options.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Here's something to be excited about ... Goc stands up for his teammates, blocks shots, throws the body around ... Glass 2.0?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRlJePRrLgM

filepicker%2FvtAgetDPTheoPVRnH58s_debbie_downer.jpg

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Also, as others mentioned, at least they got guys who they have a legit interest or chance of re-signing. In particular, I see Goc as being a guy who we could re-sign, and be a 3rd line C fill in for 1-3 years until Sundqvist arrives. This would allow us to move Sutter for a pretty significant asset. We could probably even get a mid-first rounder in this year's draft, or a good (but not elite) young forward for Sutsy. It gives us options.

Yeah, I think Goc potentially does give the Pens the option of moving Sutter if Sutter demands too much money and the Pens can re-sign Goc on the cheap.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Goc and Stempniak will probably get more points in their first 3/4 games than Kobasew has all season.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Goc does reasonably well with tough assignments though, he's not horrific possession wise.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Rock solid player.

Wrong choice of words...

Awesome! Goc is very underrated.

...as he seems to get hurt an awful lot.

Averages about 60 games a season. Unless he's getting sent down during those stretches in which case he can't be as good as you guys are suggesting, as he's played for mostly garbage teams the last 5 years. That said, I can see how he would improve our 4th line if Vitale moves to RW and we get rid of Gladams next year.

WBS - Goc - Vitale?

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I had already forgotten about it but Ian Altenbaugh has brought it up on Twitter: The Goc clan has an official website (http://www.goc-online.com). Just in case someone's interested, it's entirely in German though.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
oilers fan here...

quick question: how do pens fans feel about moving sutter now that goc is ur 3C? obviously not till at least the draft as you guys have a cup to chase, but what would it take?

would gagner at 50% be considered? i'm thinking pitt doesnt need anymore d prospects and oil F prospects are all junk IMO

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
oilers fan here...

quick question: how do pens fans feel about moving sutter now that goc is ur 3C? obviously not till at least the draft as you guys have a cup to chase, but what would it take?

would gagner at 50% be considered? i'm thinking pitt doesnt need anymore d prospects and oil F prospects are all junk IMO

I don't think Gagner really fits what this team needs. We have enough tweeners.

There are obviously players on Edmonton who interest us. Is Sutter + a pick + a defensive prospect enough to get any of those?

If not, probably not.

This is not an indictment on Gagner's skill set, but more where the Penguins roster is at. Beau Bennett, for example, would be doing the job that Ganger would this year, and probably comparable (when you adjust for contract situation and whatnot).

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
oilers fan here...

I suppose Sutter could be moved at the draft if his contract demands are too high for our cap situation or maybe he'll want out if his feelings are hurt that the Pens shopped him in a Kesler deal. I don't know. I'm not sure we make good trade partners with Edmonton. Ideally we'd swap Sutter for a young winger or a good 1st round pick but Sutter wouldn't be able to fetch any of the young Edmonton wingers like Eberle or Yak that we'd want and Edmonton's 1st round pick will be too high to give for Sutter. I'd imagine the Pens may just revisit trying to get Kesler one more time at the draft with Sutter still being a possible part of the trade package.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
oilers fan here...

A small, soft, and slow natural center is not what we need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad