Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Marcel Goc for 2014 5th rounder, 2015 3rd rounder

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Finally! Goc is not sexy, but he´s really solid. He´s a big boost for our awful bottom6 and the price was very reasonable as well. It´s not a big move, but props to Shero, for once.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I'm fine with this move. Makes us stronger at the 4th line. I always liked Goc, not a superstar but a solid 4th line center. Sid Geno Sut & Goc are 4 solid centers IMO.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, assuming this is the only move and Bennett is resurrected from the dead, our lineup is suddenly a lot better:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Goc-Sutter-Megna
Gladams

Not ideal, but much better.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I am not upset by this.

Thirds and fifths are not worthless, but fairly close. The chances either pick becomes anything is rather small.

I agree, wish the years were switched though. 2015 is supposedly going to be a strong draft class. So could end up being the equivalent of a second.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Another rental player. I thought Shero said he was going to stop doing this?

this is sarcasm, right? Goc is one of the best minor moves that any team had made.

defensive acumen and responsibility.
ability to play wing.
faceoff percentage.
corsi/qual com - that is he played the toughest competition on his team and shots ended up heading towards the opposition's net when he was on the ice.

adds to the team's biggest weakness and makes Sutter expendable in a trade.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If Sutter is dealt then Goc isn't going to hit free agency unless he completely ***** the bed. Similar level of play (arguably better) for what will likely be significantly less than Sutter would have received. Goc shouldn't cost more than what Sutter is making now to re-sign.

I really like this deal, regardless of what else happens today. Goc is a fancy stat fiend who passes the eye test.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Sutter is dealt then Goc isn't going to hit free agency unless he completely ***** the bed. Similar level of play (arguably better) for what will likely be significantly less than Sutter would have received. Goc shouldn't cost more than what Sutter is making now to re-sign.

I really like this deal, regardless of what else happens today. Goc is a fancy stat fiend who passes the eye test.

Amen. Put very well. If we can get him at 2 or less (if he produces well) then we have a steal.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Love this, independent of potential further moves. Goc is very underrated and someone you can definitely trust to be out there to defend a lead. That is, if Bylsma actually uses him in that situation.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If we were healthy this would have been the only move we needed this year. I can see it now, Bylsma can finally scratch Vitale again....

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Before Dupuis got hurt, I thought this team was one good winger away from being a complete team, someone who could either play with Crosby or someone who was a legitimate scoring threat to play with Sutter and BB on line 3.

Once Dupuis got injured, we needed 2 forwards. Goc is one, and while Gibbons is playing very well, he's not the caliber we need. I think we made ourselves a better team today, but I think it's not going to be enough unless BB comes back and plays lights out.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Overpaid for Goc considering the prices other forwards went for. Not impressed by Shero's trade deadline if that is all.

EDIT: Slightly better with Stempniak but so much for the rental situation although both seem undersized

Last edited:

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Overpaid for Goc considering the prices other forwards went for. Not impressed by Shero's trade deadline

How many players like Goc were available? Exactly. I think it's fair value and we will like him here (unless we blame him for Shero not bringing in a first line winger).

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
How many players like Goc were available? Exactly. I think it's fair value and we will like him here (unless we blame him for Shero not bringing in a first line winger).

I actually think he fits a need, but considering Penner, Hemsky, and others, it is an overpayment for a UFA who will not alone is not enough to put the Pens over the top especially with the 3rd round pick in a reportedly deep 2015 draft.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I actually think he fits a need, but considering Penner, Hemsky, and others, it is an overpayment for a UFA who will not alone is not enough to put the Pens over the top especially with the 3rd round pick in a reportedly deep 2015 draft.

Players like Penner or Hemsky do not bring what Goc brings, though, so this comparison is not very good in my opinion.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I can understand Hemsky but why would anyone want Penner? he's huge but not physical and is a LW, so wouldn't really fit here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad