TSN: Penguins acquire David Perron for 2015 1st round pick, Rob Klinkhammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Huh... looking back, I suppose I can't really pinpoint who would have been better-thought-of at the time, either. I just remember the commentary being that they didn't even get their best young players. Could have just been the general feeling of hopelessness surrounding the trade in general clouding my memory of it, I guess.

What they got in return was essentially the entire Capitals 1999 draft. I just remember how depressed I was the first few times watching Beech in the NHL. Then I got to be depressed all over again a couple of season later when they traded Kovalev and the best part of the deal was probably the longshot prospect of convincing Richard Lintner to convert to forward.

Like the poster above pointed out, the cash was the biggest part of the Jagr deal.
Hahaha, Richard Lintner is a very funny guy right now. Very adorable actually, with a great sense of humor. He´s operating as a hockey announcer for Slovak television right now. People like him here, even the girls know him here. He still plays hockey for his local club in Slovakian league, but he´s already a better announcer than a hockey player (terrible turnover machine in a beer league).

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Wait... we traded for Perron?

Unpossible. Where's that damn spinny top thing... hold on....

tumblr_m6np0cVIXV1rthmb0o1_500.gif

This is not a stable spin... Liars! All of youz!

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
To acquire Perron there were two options IMO:

Option 1: 1st Rounder

Option 2: Sutter

Option 1 makes much more sense.

Ditto, we are in win now mode.

Love the lines when everyone is healthy. Like to have 3 strong lines.

Perron-Crosby-Downie
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Rust/Adams/etc.

Those lines would be very hard to match with a ton of sand paper to go with the skill. With the offensive D added to this mix this team would be very hard to play against if everyone gets healthy.

I really don't see a need for a deal. If the deal makes us better overall then I would be up for it but it is not needed. Martin is a top pairing defenseman and if someone gives us a top line winger on his last year then that kind of deal could help both teams. Also if we gave up 2 seconds for Murray then why can't we get a first for Martin who is 4 times the player? Not that I am looking for a pick. I don't want to lose any player that hurts us now for future help. If Martin is better than his replacement and we get no benefit at another position then screw that. Pens need to put the top team they can on the ice each year. trading for picks on this team is counter productive. I know we have excess on D but if we make a trade it needs to make this years team better and if it helps in future years that is a bonus. We get at least one bonus year in this deal.:handclap:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure about the cash specifics, billy. But you're absolutely correct that those moves were money-oriented first and hockey-oriented FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR second.

Lang was frustrating, too. IIRC, the Penguins tried holding on to him too long even after the writing was on the wall and he ended up breaking his hand (I think it was his hand), which obviously completely derailed any plans on trading him that season. He ended up signing with Washington the next year and one of the two years he played for them even led the league in scoring for something like the first half of the season.

We talk about the team doing a questionable job wrangling their assets sometimes, these days. But man...

Well, you could hold on to impending free agents a little more comfortably back then since those were the days of draft pick compensation. Lang's injury likely resulted in lowball offers as you say, and so Craig probably thought "screw it, I'll take a stab at re-signing him and if not, I still get a mid-2nd round pick in a deep draft."

I seem to recall the prospects of signing Lang weren't entirely far fetched, and we used the compensatory pick in the trade up for Fleury.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Perron-Crosby-Downie
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett

Those lines would be very hard to match with a ton of sand paper to go with the skill. With the offensive D added to this mix this team would be very hard to play against if everyone gets healthy.

I really don't see a need for a deal. If the deal makes us better overall then I would be up for it but it is not needed. Martin is a top pairing defenseman and if someone gives us a top line winger on his last year then that kind of deal could help both teams. Also if we gave up 2 seconds for Murray then why can't we get a first for Martin who is 4 times the player? Not that I am looking for a pick. I don't want to lose any player that hurts us now for future help. If Martin is better than his replacement and we get no benefit at another position then screw that. Pens need to put the top team they can on the ice each year. trading for picks on this team is counter productive. I know we have excess on D but if we make a trade it needs to make this years team better and if it helps in future years that is a bonus. We get at least one bonus year in this deal.:handclap:

So you'd like the team as it is, as opposed to making a 2008 type of deal for which the Pens have both the cap space and the assets?

Thanks Ray.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Perron-Crosby-Downie
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett

No disrespect intended for Downie who looked good last game. But I don't want to see him permanently on a line with Crosby.

His knees are gone, and his skating is sub-par. When he has time to get into space, his positioning and hands look great, but anything that requires skating isn't going to happen. It's one thing to slow that line down; it's another to make it that slow especially in the playoffs.

Put him on spot duty if someone needs to be agitated but someone else there.

member 51464

Perron presser ...
[NHL]716147[/NHL]

Thanks for posting. I like how Steiggy doesn't ask a question but just makes a statement for him to respond to. Such a goof.

Anyway, I know nothing of Perron. I take it he is an actual, real life top-6/top-line winger and not in any way a tweener? If so, that is quite exciting.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Thanks for posting. I like how Steiggy doesn't ask a question but just makes a statement for him to respond to. Such a goof.

Anyway, I know nothing of Perron. I take it he is an actual, real life top-6/top-line winger and not in any way a tweener? If so, that is quite exciting.

And the report from Edmonton is also that he's the only guy that cared every night. He may have some odd habits though.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
You'll love him very quickly. Feisty, gritty, talented. Nothing to hate. First rounders with you guys are guaranteed late. Highway robbery, IMO, so well done on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad