Prospect Info: Penguins #7 prospect

Who's our 2018 #7 ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Teddy Blueger wins that round, but drops one spot into 6th place.

Added Jan Drozg.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (87.6%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (52.6%) (-)
#3 Jordy Bellerive (72.8%) (new)
#4 Calen Addison (54.7%) (new)
#5 Filip Hallander (79.2%) (new)
#6 Teddy Blueger (44.0%) (-1)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm voting Almari next, I think Sexton and others in the Penguins organization are talking way too highly about him for there not to be something good with him. I'm excited to see how he looks once he turns pro in NA, but his game sounds extremely mature defensively.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I'm voting for Angello. Had a great end to the season with Wilkes-Barre and I remember Recchi praising him a lot last year. So Angello for me.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is getting so tough because there are a bunch of forwards who could step up but we really don’t know enough to say and they’re all kind of in the same boat.....Bjorkqvist, Angello, Militec, Johnson....since they’re all lumped together, I went with the best D prospect, Almari....

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’m moderately excited about Angello. I think he’ll at least hit his low-end projection as like a Derek Grant or Jimmy Hayes type 4th liner, or better.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I voted for Almari since he seems to get some recognition internationally with Finland. That must mean something, right? Right?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sort of a guy i have high hopes for...Angello.
Put him with good players in the pros and he can shine(hopefully) cuz he can already keep pace with his size+speed.
If i wasn't so hopeful with Angello i would've went Almari.

Alot of these next guys are "have to wait and see how they adjust to the AHL" with a little Bjorkvist+Almeida+Drozg+Phillps mixed in.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I voted for Almari. The org sounds super high on him, so did the guys who watched his WBS games, and his comparative stats for his season are decent - among dmen for HPK he was 1st for +/-, 2nd for goals and 4th for points.

Add Dea.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Finally a little suspense!

Voted Medicine Man too, probably voting for Bjorkqvist next?

C'mon guys we need more info as this is starting to turn like a shot in the dark for most of us.;)

But it does show how bad the Lauzon pick was. Who was supposedly "our guy" in the first round if we didnt trade back.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Finally a little suspense!

Voted Medicine Man too, probably voting for Bjorkqvist next?

C'mon guys we need more info as this is starting to turn like a shot in the dark for most of us.;)

Pros and cons of every guy still on the poll (going from what written information and stats is out there on them)

Angello
+ Great size and speed, RH centre
- Milquetoast college production, albeit on a bad team

Almari
+ Good skater, has done well against men, org seems very high on him
- Numbers could be more gaudy (albeit not bad comparatively), still needs more weight

Bjorkqvist
+ Really good athlete and locker room guy, scores goals, coaches seem to love him
- Yet to really put up imposing numbers anywhere

Phillips
+ Great offensive toolkit for a dman, was lighting up USHL before going to college early
- Didn't score in college, poor size and late conversion to dman makes his skills and ceiling there questionable

Lafferty
+ Decent speed and size, one great college season on an awful team
- Milquetoast college production bar that season, albeit on a bad team

Riikola
+ Has excelled in European men's league and international play, named after cough sweet
- Is 24, so not much further development expected, and we've yet to see him on a smaller rink

Olund
+ Has played well in men's league, intelligent player
- Maybe a little lacking athleticism wise, numbers are decent but don't seem to indicate ceiling higher than bottom 6

Johnson
+ All the tools - speed, skill, not small, can kill penalties - big college production
- Skinny, poor first season in WBS

Almeida
+ Big junior production, crafty, skillful and brave
- Tiny, opinion split on skating, yet to prove he can carry the load

Miletic
+ Big junior numbers as overager
- Has to prove it all again at the next level

Lauzon
+ All the defensive tools
- Big question marks over long term health and offensive potential

Drozg
+ Nice offensive upside, did well in first American season
- Boom or bust and not certain to boom

All comes down to what you rate really. Me, I'll vote for Almari until he goes as I feel like he's the only probable big ceiling left, then I'll vote for the guys who've done it in men's leagues. Not sure how I'll go when it comes to high junior numbers vs medium college numbers though.

PAJEN NORDGREN

Jul 23, 2018
Stockholm
I just registered to the boards just to vote here, but I don't understand how. Do I need to be a member for a certain amount of time or something like that to be able to vote?

Thanks/sorry

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Also, for more context.

Johnson is 24 now.

Phillips only played 11 college games for a small sample size, was one of the youngest in his draft year and was initially supposed to spend another year in the USHL. 3 points in 3 games for one USHL team last year and 9 points in 13 games for another before going.

Lafferty was his team’s top scorer for the last two seasons.

Angello was second in team scoring in 2015-16 and tied for first in 2017-18.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Also, for more context.

Johnson is 24 now.

Phillips only played 11 college games for a small sample size, was one of the youngest in his draft year and was initially supposed to spend another year in the USHL. 3 points in 3 games for one USHL team last year and 9 points in 13 games for another before going.

Lafferty was his team’s top scorer for the last two seasons.

Angello was second in team scoring in 2015-16 and tied for first in 2017-18.

Yeah, Phillips was technically still considered age 17 year last season when he joined MN halfway through their campaign. I don't think "lack of college production" is a legitimate criticism given the context. His size is just fine at this point considering his height and age. For his skillset and what he did in the USHL, he's in the "higher ceiling", "boom or bust" category for me. I actually think he'll have one of the better seasons among our prospects next season and could see his way into the top 5 of this list next year.

Reactions: Dawkins

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, Phillips was technically still considered age 17 year last season when he joined MN halfway through their campaign. I don't think "lack of college production" is a legitimate criticism given the context. His size is just fine at this point considering his height and age. For his skillset and what he did in the USHL, he's in the "higher ceiling", "boom or bust" category for me. I actually think he'll have one of the better seasons among our prospects next season and could see his way into the top 5 of this list next year.

Even given his age, no points at all was a disappointment given he's all offence as a dman. It's by no means the end of the world and I agree he could be in the top 5 next year, but he needs to go prove that.

Reactions: Jacob

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah, I think he’s a very boom or bust prospect and we won’t know if he hasn’t busted for awhile.

Even given his age, no points at all was a disappointment given he's all offence as a dman. It's by no means the end of the world and I agree he could be in the top 5 next year, but he needs to go prove that.

I wish we knew more about his usage.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Pros and cons of every guy still on the poll (going from what written information and stats is out there on them)

Angello
+ Great size and speed, RH centre
- Milquetoast college production, albeit on a bad team

Almari
+ Good skater, has done well against men, org seems very high on him
- Numbers could be more gaudy (albeit not bad comparatively), still needs more weight

Bjorkqvist
+ Really good athlete and locker room guy, scores goals, coaches seem to love him
- Yet to really put up imposing numbers anywhere

Phillips
+ Great offensive toolkit for a dman, was lighting up USHL before going to college early
- Didn't score in college, poor size and late conversion to dman makes his skills and ceiling there questionable

Lafferty
+ Decent speed and size, one great college season on an awful team
- Milquetoast college production bar that season, albeit on a bad team

Riikola
+ Has excelled in European men's league and international play, named after cough sweet
- Is 24, so not much further development expected, and we've yet to see him on a smaller rink

Olund
+ Has played well in men's league, intelligent player
- Maybe a little lacking athleticism wise, numbers are decent but don't seem to indicate ceiling higher than bottom 6

Johnson
+ All the tools - speed, skill, not small, can kill penalties - big college production
- Skinny, poor first season in WBS

Almeida
+ Big junior production, crafty, skillful and brave
- Tiny, opinion split on skating, yet to prove he can carry the load

Miletic
+ Big junior numbers as overager
- Has to prove it all again at the next level

Lauzon
+ All the defensive tools
- Big question marks over long term health and offensive potential

Drozg
+ Nice offensive upside, did well in first American season
- Boom or bust and not certain to boom

All comes down to what you rate really. Me, I'll vote for Almari until he goes as I feel like he's the only probable big ceiling left, then I'll vote for the guys who've done it in men's leagues. Not sure how I'll go when it comes to high junior numbers vs medium college numbers though.
Thanks all especially Peat. Good points by vabm about context and usage, take Drozg for instance, his team was garbage in a dumpster fire last season but he did put out some interesting numbers anyway, needs to polish his finishing touch as a scorer, good playmaker, cool name, could become Riikola's friend.

Speaking of the Medecine Man, at 24 some Dmen still have a little way to go ceilingwise, i hope he adapts well and fast to our smaller rinks.

Johnson is skinny? Maybe that's what f***ed his 1rst WBS season, mostly playing against men.

Almeida is tinny? Trade bait for the Canadiens!

Can't wait to see how Miletic does in the AHL.

What's that about Lauzon's long term health? (too lazy to search)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad