Prospect Info: Penguins #7 prospect

Who's our 2018 #7 ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Johnson is skinny? Maybe that's what ****ed his 1rst WBS season, mostly playing against men.

Johnson isn’t that skinny going by listed weights.

Johnson: 6’, 175lb
Sprong: 6’, 180lb
Guentzel: 5’11”, 180lb
Simon: 5’11”, 176lb

Now, listed weights aren’t perfect and won’t tell the whole story but I don’t think it’s bad enough to f*** his season. He looked like he needed to put on weight in the off season stuff but other players with comparable size have done better at younger ages. It’s a bit of a mystery because he looked smart and skilled in the off season and preseason stuff he was at. He might just be missing something or slow to adapt.

What's that about Lauzon's long term health? (too lazy to search)

He was battling some neck injury for a lot of the season.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Johnson isn’t that skinny going by listed weights.

Johnson: 6’, 175lb
Sprong: 6’, 180lb
Guentzel: 5’11”, 180lb
Simon: 5’11”, 176lb

Now, listed weights aren’t perfect and won’t tell the whole story but I don’t think it’s bad enough to **** his season. He looked like he needed to put on weight in the off season stuff but other players with comparable size have done better at younger ages. It’s a bit of a mystery because he looked smart and skilled in the off season and preseason stuff he was at. He might just be missing something or slow to adapt.

Agreed.

I think part of the reaction is because when he was signed, some of the sites still had him listed at like 160. That was probably his Freshman year or something.

I believe that he and ZAR both commented last year that the game was much faster than they were used to and they were going to need to adjust. Maybe that, combined with Johnson needing to get used to stronger opponents, contributed to his down season.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Agreed.

I think part of the reaction is because when he was signed, some of the sites still had him listed at like 160. That was probably his Freshman year or something.

I believe that he and ZAR both commented last year that the game was much faster than they were used to and they were going to need to adjust. Maybe that, combined with Johnson needing to get used to stronger opponents, contributed to his down season.

I thought the mix up in weight was that there was another Adam Johnson at Minnesota that played soccer? Or something like that?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I thought the mix up in weight was that there was another Adam Johnson at Minnesota that played soccer? Or something like that?
That could be it. Could be a bit of both.

I know he hit a growth spurt because his predraft numbers were like 5'10" 150 something.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Agreed.

And he looked slight on the ice. Dude is in no way stocky. I remember thinking that... and he had a tendency to put himself in positions to get demolished. Maybe that made him more tentative in the AHL.

I think the speed and grind gets players in that first season. By the time some of them adapt to the speed they’re probably rundown. It’s also possible he was tasked with focusing on things other than offence.

This coming season should be telling for Johnson. His pattern seems to be improving in his second season from a cursory look.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thanks all especially Peat. Good points by vabm about context and usage, take Drozg for instance, his team was garbage in a dumpster fire last season but he did put out some interesting numbers anyway, needs to polish his finishing touch as a scorer, good playmaker, cool name, could become Riikola's friend.

Speaking of the Medecine Man, at 24 some Dmen still have a little way to go ceilingwise, i hope he adapts well and fast to our smaller rinks.

Johnson is skinny? Maybe that's what ****ed his 1rst WBS season, mostly playing against men.

Almeida is tinny? Trade bait for the Canadiens!

Can't wait to see how Miletic does in the AHL.

What's that about Lauzon's long term health? (too lazy to search)

The context was very much needed as I was shooting from the hips and didn't have time to check and add every detail.

On a few of those points

Johnson maybe has more mass than I remember, but I remember thinking it was low at the start of the season. There's a prospect guy here who posted a few profiles on WBS guys and he said Johnson didn't display the same confidence as he did at college, so maybe that's an issue. If that's the case that - like the leanness - isn't an unsolvable issue.

Almeida is very tiny. 154lbs iirc - and that's as a year overage for the draft.

Lauzon has had two neck injuries this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->