Prospect Info: Penguins #6 prospect

Who's our 2018 #6 ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Filip Hallander wins that round convincingly and ranks right behind fellow 2018 2nd rounder Calen Addison at #5. Three out of the current top 5 are newly ranked prospects.

Added Zachary Lauzon.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (87.6%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (52.6%) (-)
#3 Jordy Bellerive (72.8%) (new)
#4 Calen Addison (54.7%) (new)
#5 Filip Hallander (79.2%) (new)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is where it gets a little tougher.

Rikkola, Bleuger, Lauzon...all close...but they are so different its hard to say who would be above who.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
This is where it gets a little tougher.

Rikkola, Bleuger, Lauzon...all close...but they are so different its hard to say who would be above who.

Yaaaa....lauzon shouldn’t be grouped with Blueger. Riikola should drop in the rankings due to lack of info, pedigree, etc. Seems like he could become a decent 6/7 though. Just can’t see him above Blueger, Kasper, Angello, Almari

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Speaking of Almari, has anyone with the team said definitively why he's playing overseas again this year? He was all set to come over and suddenly he's not.

I saw rumors about him needing to get stronger but that seems counterproductive. If he was having trouble, you'd think they'd want him working closely with the team's trainers/nutritionists.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Speaking of Almari, has anyone with the team said definitively why he's playing overseas again this year? He was all set to come over and suddenly he's not.

I saw rumors about him needing to get stronger but that seems counterproductive. If he was having trouble, you'd think they'd want him working closely with the team's trainers/nutritionists.

Penguins see 'big potential' in Niclas Almari

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Thanks. Does it say why they think it's better to put on weight overseas rather than start playing the NA style against men? Is there concern about him getting injured or something?
Unfortunately, I'm not subscribed to DK so I can't find out if it was further discussed in the article. Perhaps, he'd rather stay home than play in Wilkes-Barre. He could certainly put on weight and play against men here, on top of getting used to NA Hockey. If I had to guess, I'd say he likes it better in Finland than riding the AHL bus everyday.

Apparently he's coming over next year so I'm fine with it.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Going to go with Riikola because he's the only one of our prospects who not only played, but apparently played very well in a meaningful role in the Men's WC. And at only 24, it's not like he's a late 20s/early 30s career Euro player who may have already peaked as a player.

I also like the following players here:

Blueger: upside only as a 4th line guy, but a quality one who can maybe temporarily step up to a 3rd line role once in a while and is a safe bet

Almari: Sexton, on his way out the door, was adamant that Almari will be an NHLer, and an invite to possibly be on a strong Finnish D-corps reinforces that, and he played well in his brief WBS stint. As a bit of a late bloomer, we have to like his trajectory.

Angello: also was impressive at the end of the season including playoffs in WBS. His combination of size and some scoring touch, gives me the feeling he could be a guy who produces at the NHL level in a middle 6 role on either W or C and certainly should have some net front PP ability.

Miletic: this guy has been so dominant offensively in the OHL, we have to give him some serious love, and I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more votes so far. The fact that the Pens' brass really likes him AND thinks he has the character and some of the intangibles & pro habits suggests he has a good chance to reach his potential -- and as an older player, could do so within a year or two, a la ZAR. Coming out of such a strong London Knights program with the Hunters at the helm also shows he was reared very well to be a pro.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Blueger is almost to the NHL so as it is, his ceiling is low, but I'd say it's more likely than not that he makes it as a 4C if we're just making an educated guess at this point.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This was a tough one....I don’t like picking guys whose upside is fourth line player...it was between Almari, Militec and Almeida for me and I chose the youngest with the highest offensive skill...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This was a tough one....I don’t like picking guys whose upside is fourth line player...it was between Almari, Militec and Almeida for me and I chose the youngest with the highest offensive skill...

Pick a D man then ;)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Voted for Almari as I'm bullish on his long term potential and floor given all we've heard about him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Who is the Pens’ emergency goalie? That’s who I’m going with.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Voted Riikola although honestly, at this point, i lack info about this poll's players from now on. I guess WC nudge him in for me.

What i don't get is Blueger running with this one, yeah he's probably the nearest to the NHL but his ceiling is a low 4th that could maybe patch on the 3rd line.

I mean, i thought this was more about potential.

Reactions: Andy99

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Voted Riikola although honestly, at this point, i lack info about this poll's players from now on. I guess WC nudge him in for me.

What i don't get is Blueger running with this one, yeah he's probably the nearest to the NHL but his ceiling is a low 4th that could maybe patch on the 3rd line.

I mean, i thought this was more about potential.

I'm a little bothered by the lack of Adam Johnson love here. he was a tad slow in getting going last year but he ended up a solid guy in WBS. He is exactly what they should be trying out as a 13th forward along with Blueger. Other than his weight he has impressed me since his pre-season stint. All while being forced into a new position in WBS. He was very impressive as a C during that pre-season. I just don't see him as bad as, say Sheary was being knocked off the puck, since Johnson is 6.o'. That 175 lbs is my only knock. Hopefully he added some over this summer.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think you can put any of like 4 or 5 prospects in this slot and have it be fair. You can pick Blueger or Riikola if you like safe but low potential prospects, or Bjorkqvist or Almari if you like high potential gambles. Personally, I'd go Bjorkqvist, Blueger, Almari and Riikola in that order for #6-#9.

I don't get the hype with Angello, though. That's one thing I'll admit, I don't get it. Idk how he's in 3rd for this poll, he wasn't all that impressive throughout college offensively and he hasn't done much professionally yet.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think you can put any of like 4 or 5 prospects in this slot and have it be fair. You can pick Blueger or Riikola if you like safe but low potential prospects, or Bjorkqvist or Almari if you like high potential gambles. Personally, I'd go Bjorkqvist, Blueger, Almari and Riikola in that order for #6-#9.

I don't get the hype with Angello, though. That's one thing I'll admit, I don't get it. Idk how he's in 3rd for this poll, he wasn't all that impressive throughout college offensively and he hasn't done much professionally yet.

That was before he read the book "Mindset"

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, this is where things get a little tougher.
But the player who's done well/developed in the best league is Bleuger so i'll be selecting him.

ETA: Also don't sleep on Angello.
Gotta see how he, Riikola, Militec perform in the pros.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Angello had nearly identical production to Blueger, the guy winning the poll, while playing a few less games. He left college a year early. He's 6'5", fast, physical and focused on being a complete player. Why wouldn't he be in 3rd?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad