Prospect Info: Penguins #6 prospect

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I think these polls really should be done mid-season or something, so you don't have people voting on and giving opinions on guys whom they didn't know existed four weeks ago.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Saying "he has had a declining save% for 3 straight years since being drafted" is so hilariously ignoring context that it doesn't deserve a serious response. Let's lay it out though:

12-13: Jarry was a backup on a stacked Oil Kings team, hence why he put up insane numbers
13-14: Jarry's 1st season as a starter on a really good Oil Kings team, won the WHL championship and memorial cup, was 2nd in goalie of the year award and was on the Eastern Conference 1st all star team
14-15: Jarry's 2nd season as a starter on a bad Oil Kings team that lost a ton of players to the pros, was 2nd in WHL goalie of the year award and was on the Eastern Conference 1st all star team

It seems like people who hate Jarry are just stat watching and evaluating him based on that. He had a very good junior career and was good up until the turn of 2016.

And it seems like you're just pumping him up because he was the runner up for goaltender of the year in the WHL twice. Most players that actually won the award never really went on to have great careers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Wilson_Trophy

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
Other than Price, Jones, and maybe Kuemper and Ward. Who's currently worth a damn on that list?

I wouldn't count the past three winners, too early to judge. Going back to the 90s is irrelevant as well, as they don't play anymore. So that leaves 12 awards of which 6 were won by goalies you mention and Josh Harding, who I'd like to include. His body failed him in developing his career.

If we do look back further, there's Brian Boucher, Corey Hirsch, Trevor Kidd, Mike Vernon, Grant Fuhr.

So there are plenty of good careers, and a few great.

I'm not saying that Jarry will become a solid NHL netminder because he was a runner up twice, but referring to the award's winners as an argument for him not becoming one is not solid.

Anyway, I'm not voting Gus either, as he's still a long way away and his developmental path is unclear. I do have to add to that that Swedish goalie coaches are the cream of the crop, along with the Finnish.

I voted Prow. I think he'll have a good year in the AHL with the occasional callup, and what I read and saw from him at development camp gave me a good feeling.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Wow... Prow is way to low. Jarry getting more votes than Prow is mind boggling.

Whats the word on Ortega? Any chance of him in Wheeling or WB next year.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think these polls really should be done mid-season or something, so you don't have people voting on and giving opinions on guys whom they didn't know existed four weeks ago.

Its worth doing twice a year. Its fun and at the prospects stage... Players can climb or go down within 2 months.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And it seems like you're just pumping him up because he was the runner up for goaltender of the year in the WHL twice. Most players that actually won the award never really went on to have great careers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Wilson_Trophy

Okay so now you are criticizing him for almost winning an award in the league he played in. And honestly, that's a pretty good list. Between the years 2000 and 2011 (counting goalies more recent than that likely isn't fair since it can take years for goalies to develop), of the 9 goalies that won the award, 5 of them have played significant time in the NHL and 4 of them have been starters at different points in time (Price, Jones, Ward, Harding). That doesn't mean a runner up for the award will be an NHL goaltender, but it's certainly not a disqualifying factor like you are trying to make it out to be.

Again, no one here is guaranteeing he is going to be a starting goalie, but he still has starter upside. This is a big year for him and will likely tell us a lot more about his potential than we know now.

Last edited:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Okay so now you are criticizing him for almost winning an award in the league he played in. And honestly, that's a pretty good list. Between the years 2000 and 2011 (counting goalies more recent than that likely isn't fair since it can take years for goalies to develop), of the 9 goalies that won the award, 5 of them have played significant time in the NHL and 4 of them have been starters at different points in time (Price, Jones, Ward, Harding). That doesn't mean a runner up for the award will be an NHL goaltender, but it's certainly not a disqualifying factor like you are trying to make it out to be.

Again, no one here is guaranteeing he is going to be a starting goalie, but he still has starter upside. This is a big year for him and will likely tell us a lot more about his potential than we know now.

I'm not saying it's a disqualifying factor. But it's not a garunteed qualifying one either like other people seem to imply.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not saying it's a disqualifying factor. But it's not a garunteed qualifying one either like other people seem to imply.

Who said it was a guaranteed qualifying factor? I haven't seen anyone here say "Jarry will be an NHL starting goalie".

I think you and others, myself included, are talking past each other. None of us know whether Jarry will be a starting goalie in the NHL, but there is nothing in his history since being drafted that points out major red flags in his development. Ultimately we all think the same thing. Jarry is a good goalie prospect and has starter potential. This year is a big test for his development.

The rest of the discussion is just noise.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Saying "he has had a declining save% for 3 straight years since being drafted" is so hilariously ignoring context that it doesn't deserve a serious response. Let's lay it out though:

12-13: Jarry was a backup on a stacked Oil Kings team, hence why he put up insane numbers
13-14: Jarry's 1st season as a starter on a really good Oil Kings team, won the WHL championship and memorial cup, was 2nd in goalie of the year award and was on the Eastern Conference 1st all star team
14-15: Jarry's 2nd season as a starter on a bad Oil Kings team that lost a ton of players to the pros, was 2nd in WHL goalie of the year award and was on the Eastern Conference 1st all star team

It seems like people who hate Jarry are just stat watching and evaluating him based on that. He had a very good junior career and was good up until the turn of 2016.

Plus, you really can't stat watch in the CHL. I asked Matt Murray this Summer why his stats skyrocketed in the AHL compared to the OHL. Matt basically said Junior hockey is a free-for-all defensively. You can't count on your D to prevent dangerous opportunities, clear pucks or intercept passes so you're often left hung out to dry.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Who said it was a guaranteed qualifying factor? I haven't seen anyone here say "Jarry will be an NHL starting goalie".

I think you and others, myself included, are talking past each other. None of us know whether Jarry will be a starting goalie in the NHL, but there is nothing in his history since being drafted that points out major red flags in his development. Ultimately we all think the same thing. Jarry is a good goalie prospect and has starter potential. This year is a big test for his development.

The rest of the discussion is just noise.

I think Empoleon8771 was putting a little too much stock into it. Anyways, I'm just a little bored and trying to play devils advocate some. I like that we can have some honed in discussions about certain players in these polls. I'm not completely down on Jarry, I'd probably vote for him after Björkqvist and Prow, there may be some red flags popping up I think but I'll be hoping for the best. Goalies can turn a big corner when you least expect it.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
People criticizing Jarry for his AHL numbers should go look at Gustavsson's numbers. Spoiler alert, they're nothing special.

Jarry was one of the best goalies in the WHL in 14-15 (can't remember if he won goalie of the year or was a finalist) and was good with WBS up until like January 1st. People voting gustavsson here are just voting on the shinny new toy.

Not at all. Gus is always square to pucks and tracks plays well. Hes also fluid with his movements and just seems more athletic than Jarry. His flaws are when he comes out of net and closing holes when he moves. Things that are correctable.

Jarry scrambles a lot and seems blocky to me. His movements seem rigid. Ive seen him in person, watched his in junior and in WB. Not a fan... Hope Im wrong but he never seems to correct his flaws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad