Prospect Info: Penguins #6 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Bengtsson becomes our first new entry at #5. So four of our top five prospects are Europeans. Added Josh Archibald.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (86.21%) (+1)
#2 Jake Guentzel (67.41%) (+7)
#3 Oskar Sundqvist (39.68% in 3rd poll, 55.56% in run-off) (+-0)
#4 Dominik Simon (40.48% in 3rd poll, 44.33% in run-off) (+2)
#5 Lukas Bengtsson (43.75%) (new)

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
I am going with Jarry. The recently drafted guys are all projects so I can't put them ahead of Jarry. Jarry had a bad end to the year but I think with some work he can be a solid NHL backup which is all we need him to be, we may even be able to flog him in a trade should he perform well in the AHL this year.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I am going with Jarry. The recently drafted guys are all projects so I can't put them ahead of Jarry. Jarry had a bad end to the year but I think with some work he can be a solid NHL backup which is all we need him to be, we may even be able to flog him in a trade should he perform well in the AHL this year.

Meh. Jarry is still as much of a project as Gustavsson is at this point. I'll bank on Gustavsson's starter potential over Jarry's backup potential.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Went with Björkqvist because I like his last name and his upside sounds fun and useful. I'm fine with Gus winning.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's what the other poster was saying. In what sense makes you think he does?

In the sense that he's young, talented and still has plenty of time to develop. Do we have any reason to think he doesn't have starter potential? Last year was his first pro season and he played really well early on and struggled down the stretch with a team that went through tons of changes.

I think this season will give us more evidence as to what he can become. We have to remember Matt Murray is not the norm for goalie prospects.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Hall has good size and untapped offensive potential so I went with him. Hopefully hes a big boom prospect for us.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
In the sense that he's young, talented and still has plenty of time to develop. Do we have any reason to think he doesn't have starter potential? Last year was his first pro season and he played really well early on and struggled down the stretch with a team that went through tons of changes.

I think this season will give us more evidence as to what he can become. We have to remember Matt Murray is not the norm for goalie prospects.

Maybe his declining save % ever since he was drafted? Losing the starting job to DeSmith last year? Lots of respectable posters that watch most of WBS games have noted concerns with his play. I'm not saying Jarry should be considered a bust, but I think expectations for him should be heeded a little bit. He's got a good opportunity to turn things around next season with a stacked WBS defense, so I'm definitely expecting some improvement on his part. But I'm not expecting him to be a starter in the NHL until he breaks the trend he's in.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jarry is raw, period. We knew that when we drafted him and since then he's been a mix of very good and mediocre. He still has a high ceiling and a low floor. I'm not going to hold the fact that he didn't develop freakishly fast like Murray did against him, but the way last year ended certainly didn't leave the best taste in my mouth. I'll vote for Jarry as soon as Gustavsson goes off the board, they're basically tied in my book and I'm giving preference to the Swede because I'm racist that way, I guess.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe his declining save % ever since he was drafted? Losing the starting job to DeSmith last year? Lots of respectable posters that watch most of WBS games have noted concerns with his play. I'm not saying Jarry should be considered a bust, but I think expectations for him should be heeded a little bit. He's got a good opportunity to turn things around next season with a stacked WBS defense, so I'm definitely expecting some improvement on his part. But I'm not expecting him to be a starter in the NHL until he breaks the trend he's in.

Losing a starting job in the AHL in your first pro season isn't that big of an indictment to me. He shouldn't have had the starting job in his first year anyway. Murray was the starter and Jarry got the role after the call up. As I said already, people need to temper their expectations of goalies. Murray is not the norm of a goalie prospect, even a highly touted one.

I think we are saying the same thing, just from different angles. You are saying you aren't expecting him to be an NHL starter based on last season or his last year in juniors. I'm saying his play isn't out of the ordinary for goaltending prospects. It will take some time and growing pains, like most goalies. He may end up busting or being a back up at best, but I'm not willing to say he doesn't have starter upside anymore. To me he has the same upside he had when he was drafted.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People criticizing Jarry for his AHL numbers should go look at Gustavsson's numbers. Spoiler alert, they're nothing special.

Jarry was one of the best goalies in the WHL in 14-15 (can't remember if he won goalie of the year or was a finalist) and was good with WBS up until like January 1st. People voting gustavsson here are just voting on the shinny new toy.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just based off perceived potential/#1 Euro G ranking in the draft, i'll go with Gus here.
Guys i was thinking about here as well, Bjorkvist and Hall.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Goalies are notoriously hard to predict and both Jarry and Gus seem a long ways off even in a best-case scenario. Sticking with Bjorgkvist.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Jarry needs to have a great season next year for trade bait alone. Murray is our future...would be nice ro get something of value for jarry

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Jarry needs to have a great season next year for trade bait alone. Murray is our future...would be nice ro get something of value for jarry

That's why I am trying to vote him high! So the NHL GM's see how high he is ranked by HFBoards and they give up a stud LWer for him!!:naughty:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Losing a starting job in the AHL in your first pro season isn't that big of an indictment to me. He shouldn't have had the starting job in his first year anyway. Murray was the starter and Jarry got the role after the call up. As I said already, people need to temper their expectations of goalies. Murray is not the norm of a goalie prospect, even a highly touted one.

I think we are saying the same thing, just from different angles. You are saying you aren't expecting him to be an NHL starter based on last season or his last year in juniors. I'm saying his play isn't out of the ordinary for goaltending prospects. It will take some time and growing pains, like most goalies. He may end up busting or being a back up at best, but I'm not willing to say he doesn't have starter upside anymore. To me he has the same upside he had when he was drafted.

So how ordinary is it for a goalie to have a declining save % for three straight seasons since being drafted and still reach his potential? Any recent examples of that? I'm definitely no expert when it comes to goalie development assessment, the Pens have had very few successful examples of to go by. But that's my concern. I think it's going to be a long and windy road (much more than it would normally take) for Jarry and a potential NHL career if he doesn't start showing some more positive signs towards his development soon.

Jarry didn't lose his job to DeSmith, he was injured and DeSmith kept winning so they stayed with him.

I stand corrected. Didn't know Jarry got injured.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Saying "he has had a declining save% for 3 straight years since being drafted" is so hilariously ignoring context that it doesn't deserve a serious response. Let's lay it out though:

12-13: Jarry was a backup on a stacked Oil Kings team, hence why he put up insane numbers
13-14: Jarry's 1st season as a starter on a really good Oil Kings team, won the WHL championship and memorial cup, was 2nd in goalie of the year award and was on the Eastern Conference 1st all star team
14-15: Jarry's 2nd season as a starter on a bad Oil Kings team that lost a ton of players to the pros, was 2nd in WHL goalie of the year award and was on the Eastern Conference 1st all star team

It seems like people who hate Jarry are just stat watching and evaluating him based on that. He had a very good junior career and was good up until the turn of 2016.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad