Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Flyers 1 - Pens Undefeated in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Amazing how much better the team looks when the bottom 6 chips in. Now imagine if they had a bottom 6 that's able to do this regularly instead of the fluky once every 38 games or so.
Well, I think JR's MO is to get us a center, so he knows it too. Easier said than done.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Right now, it doesn´t look like they would need 96 points tho. East has some very strong teams and then some real mediocre teams. We are gonna fight with the Canes and Isles for that wildcard spot and we are 1 point behind both right now. They have games in hand, but it´s not a big hole yet. Kinda shocking, but it´s really not that bad. That said, just squeezing into playoffs and playing TB powerhouse team there is not ideal either. 96 points should be our goal then, and that might get us into playoffs and possibly avoid TB... All speculation for now tho.

Tbf to them, they went through a powerhouse Washington team for those two cups. They just don’t seem like that team anymore.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Say what you will but Reaves was never the problem with the fourth line. He looked better early on with McKegg, and with Sheahan I think he would be just fine. Rowney has been the problem with the fourth line all along. He is a replacement player, a depth player.

If Rust-Sheahan-Reaves is our fourth line down the stretch, we're going to win a lot of games.

Thank you, funny how some miss the glaring problem at center, then proceed to blame Reaves. I chalk most of it up to trade bitterness.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Penguins points percentage in the second half would need to be .650 to make 96 points. Only 7 teams have done that in the first half. It's going to be very hard for them to make it.

Our destiny is still in our own hands though. We’re basically competing with the New York teams and we are close, we also have multiple games against them.

Then there is outside chances of New Jersey (are they that good) and Columbus (injuries) dropping off somewhat.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Our destiny is still in our own hands though. We’re basically competing with the New York teams and we are close, we also have multiple games against them.

Then there is outside chances of New Jersey (are they that good) and Columbus (injuries) dropping off somewhat.

True, but the margin for error is slim, so we need to get on our horsey.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Missed most of the game, I was passed out on the couch with the game on. Took some Nyquil+cough medicine and I'm still out of it. ****in sickness!
stardust-gif.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Amazing how much better the team looks when the bottom 6 chips in. Now imagine if they had a bottom 6 that's able to do this regularly instead of the fluky once every 38 games or so.

Not to take things too much at heart here, but couldn't the same be said of the top six?

This is game one in the new year, a win, so I'm happy for that, but they are far from out of the water. I just hope this game sparks the others.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Two questions for me coming out of that game:

1. Is Sheehan shifts to L4, do we bring the kegger back up to retake his rightful spot as 3c?

2. If we call Olesiak the Big Dawg, is that offensive to penguin legend Eric Tangradi?

Reactions: Erz8771

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
In former-Pens news, Fleury just recorded his 2nd shutout in his last 3 starts bringing his season numbers to 8-1-1, 1.77 GAA, and .943 SV%. He's had only 1 game with a SV% under .921, and that was the Detroit game in which he suffered a concussion (and stayed in to finish the game).

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Jarry was in net when the game-winning goal was scored, so he gets credited with the win.
Huh, makes sense but never knew that. The more you know.

I didn't get to see the game, but some of you are mentioning sheahan looking good on line 4. Was rowney on line three or was this just a random double shift or something?

Also, Sid and Jake got pk time?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
In former-Pens news, Fleury just recorded his 2nd shutout in his last 3 starts bringing his season numbers to 8-1-1, 1.77 GAA, and .943 SV%. He's had only 1 game with a SV% under .921, and that was the Detroit game in which he suffered a concussion (and stayed in to finish the game).

Vegas plays a very defensive style. We don’t.

They are also probably the best coached team in the league this year.

Good on MAF though.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Good on MAF though.

Yeah, I just thought it was a nice share. With the way his Penguins career ended, it's nice to see him having a great season for Vegas.

I didn't get to watch the game, but glad to read that both of our goalies looked good. Hope Jarry's injury isn't anything serious. The season's been such a battle for the Pens, they really can't afford many injuries from here on out.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

You can go look up my quotes if you want to completely bore yourself, but for many years I have said that Fleury would end up on a defensive oriented team and go lights out. He has his faults but they were magnified by the style played in front of him pretty much his entire time here. And covered by the defensive style he has in front of him now.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I've always found it imperative to not irrationally lash out and say things. Example: 2008-09: "BLOW IT UP. THIS TEAM IS DONE." Instead I said they put themselves in a bad position, gave up on the coach, but a few changes and we could make a run. In 2015: "THE WINDOW IS DONE. TRADE EVERYONE!" I said similar the major thing the team needs is an identity and to stick with it, preferably one with speed/skill. But if they wanted to go big, then commit. Whatever they do, commit to one way and have accountability/a strong culture. Many others post like that, too. They know there just isn't one way to win.

Analyze what you see and add an opinion, but recognize there are more ways to win other than just one. You absolutely hated, and I mean HATED, how small we were. You were very vocal about it. And then we win b2b cups because of the speed/skill.

So when you are the type to throw it out there like that, you can't then thump your chest at a W when you have about 40 Ls.

In defense of my opinion, how was I or anybody else able to predict the NHL getting rid of aggression, fighting and even most checking from the game??? Do those things still take place, yea, but not with regularity.

Was I wrong, yea. But hockey isn't played the same way that it was back 5 years ago.

I'll give you something to ponder in closing. The Pens won with a talented, fast and soft squad the last 2 years and it started a trend in the league. Wouldn't it be interesting now with everyone thinking this is the only way to win om today's NHL that the Pens now transformed into a talented, big, nasty team and won it again.

Lastly I agree with one point, every team needs an identity.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The Penguins points percentage in the second half would need to be .650 to make 96 points. Only 7 teams have done that in the first half. It's going to be very hard for them to make it.

The Penguins have finished with a top-8 record 10 of the last 11 seasons.

If they start playing well, it won't be hard.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Where are all of the Hal Gill jokes for Oleksiak? I absolutely love that trade and if we lose Dumo or Maatta to land that STUD 3c, I am happy knowing we got Olek.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not to take things too much at heart here, but couldn't the same be said of the top six?
There's certainly blame to go around. The top 6 has underachieved for whatever reason, but we at least get a little something out of them, just not enough. Conversely we get almost nothing out of our bottom 6, especially the 4th line. The 4th line is probably the worst it's been since the dreaded Glass/Adams days. We're currently icing nothing more than 3 plugs on that line.

I think it's pretty obvious we need another center. I guess we could use a winger to help out the lack of top 6 scoring too but another center would at least allow Sheahan to move down to the #4 center spot and make our lineup a little deeper.
This is game one in the new year, a win, so I'm happy for that, but they are far from out of the water. I just hope this game sparks the others.
Yeah, me too.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Good on MAF though.
Don't matter much. It's nothing to dwell on. The guy has a few years to his youth and will be done. Had to move on from a goalie making 5 mil. Don't forget multiple behind the goal line goals and the soft wristers beating him. Hardly based on a teams defense.
Guy had ample breakdowns for every positive note.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The biggest take away for me was that the Penguins played decent hockey for most of the game. Something they have not been able to do for even half a game or even a full period.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There is nothing wrong with being happy for Fleury. I am happy for him. So many people thought he would fail and he hasn't. Good for MAF. If we're out of the playoffs and Vegas is still in it, count me in as a supporter for MAF winning another one.

Also, MAF faces 31.7 shots against per game.

That's more than the amount he faced as a Penguin in the last 4yrs per season (last year was 31 vs 31.7 this year). So yeah, defensive or not, he's always been f***ing good, we just whine a f*** load because it's our thing.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
great win.
now lets focus on the upcoming b2b games.
Doesnt get much more important than this upcoming b2b. Carolina and Islanders both at 44 points, pens are at 43.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You can go look up my quotes if you want to completely bore yourself, but for many years I have said that Fleury would end up on a defensive oriented team and go lights out. He has his faults but they were magnified by the style played in front of him pretty much his entire time here. And covered by the defensive style he has in front of him now.

I'd probably refrain from making any definitive judgments on Fleury outside of Pittsburgh until he's got a little bigger sample size than 10 games on a white-hot team.

Good to see him doing well though. Always had a great attitude, and he handled the situation here with more grace than just about anyone else would have.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd probably refrain from making any definitive judgments on Fleury outside of Pittsburgh until he's got a little bigger sample size than 10 games on a white-hot team.

Good to see him doing well though. Always had a great attitude, and he handled the situation here with more grace than just about anyone else would have.
Is it still not enough even if he's facing more than 30 shots a game? Or do people just want his numbers to drop to feel better about something that means nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad