Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Red Wings 1 - Purple Tape and iPads and Superstars, Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

looks like Phil in that picture above....teehee
tumblr_inline_okvb6ndyOk1udkq1o_500.gif

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Geno and Phil are killing it! Now that Sid is finding his groove again this team looks a lot more formidable. We just got to get Jake back on wing and get some more goal support from Horny and Sprong.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016

Everyone, aside the ones who actually had to vote(who are these people :huh:), know that he should've been there.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
What is amazing about Geno's performance is that he got to play with "leftovers" linemates and by the eye test(not sure where you can check the numbers) that line played mostly against the Wings' first line AND with Hunwick-Oleksiak pairing behind them. I mean...he's got to play almost like a superhero.
upload_2018-1-13_16-4-46.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Season salvaged.

Until our stars don't completely overwhelm the opposition on pure talent alone, requiring the rest of this team to actually be effective.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sid looked better tonight than any other game this season. So smooth

Reactions: Shaffer

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Sid had it on for the mental health night the Isles did. Sid had a big game and kept doing it. Sid is on a streak. Sid now loves the purple tape. Sid may have tried to justify this with it being slightly thinner than the regular tape.
Never noticed, good lad. Murray too has publicised Mental Health awareness

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What team am I watching here?

I'm amazed this team is right in the hunt. I mean, their record is decent, but the losses they suffered were some serious and utterly dominated defeats in those losses.

Yet, this team manages to beat Tampa. I'll never understand that one.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Missed the game due to work, I see we won and played pretty well minus the penalties. Looks like the team decided they are going to start trying now, hope it continues.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sid had it on for the mental health night the Isles did. Sid had a big game and kept doing it. Sid is on a streak. Sid now loves the purple tape. Sid may have tried to justify this with it being slightly thinner than the regular tape.

So I guess we have to put the purple tape and an iPad in a 7-pointed hexagon on the floor surrounded by lit candles and then light some incense. Take the incense and a palm leaf drenched in myrrh oil and walk three times clockwise in a circle around the hexagon waving the palm over the tape while chanting "ohmmm." Now do one time to the left.
After that we should have good juju for Sid the rest of the season...unless someone sees us and we get involuntarily committed

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
What is amazing about Geno's performance is that he got to play with "leftovers" linemates and by the eye test(not sure where you can check the numbers) that line played mostly against the Wings' first line AND with Hunwick-Oleksiak pairing behind them. I mean...he's got to play almost like a superhero.

I mean, they arent exactly leftovers. While Hags scoring has been an issue, he and Horny are two of the better possession players on the team. They backcheck (Hags specifically), forecheck like crazy, are good at digging out pucks, and create havoc down low. I think this is the ideal situation for Malkin where he doesnt have to do the dirty work and can focus on getting his shot. He works best when hes got the puck on his stick and isnt looking to make pretty passes.

And I like this line as a "defensive" line. Not defense as in Kuhn/Sheahan/Rowney/etc, but defense as in get the puck and keep the puck with possession. I thought earlier a line earlier in the year of Hags-Malkin-Rust would be awesome to jump start all three, and this is just as good.

Reactions: Kip Drordy
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
The PP was as entertaining as its ever been tonight. The puck movement was incredible, and Sid's goal with the stick lift. talk about being a step ahead of everyone else. Extra props to the big 3 upfront.

Reactions: ncm7772

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m happy to see the big dogs playing well. We obviously still need to address several holes in this lineup to be a legitimate contender.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m happy to see the big dogs playing well. We obviously still need to address several holes in this lineup to be a legitimate contender.

The holes are closing up though which helps in terms of what we need to bring in. Easier to plug smaller holes.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
the most important thing for Geno in linemates is that he trusts them to maintain possession of the puck. He needs to trust that if he dumps a puck or passes to them, that it isn't just going to be turned over. Sure, someone like Neal would be ideal, but two hard workers is something he can do well with too. Hags can chase down pucks all day. Horny can win battles all day. Neither make many pretty plays, but we saw what Horny can do on Geno's 2nd goal too. He didn't get a point, but that's probably not a goal without him. Once he gets into his office, he increases the quality of any other scoring chance that we create.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad