Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Bruins 2 - A Huge Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Simon and Hornqvist complement Bjugstad really well on the 3rd line, so I'd rather not touch that line anytime soon. That line could be an absolutely excellent playoff line, because even when they're not scoring, they're likely possessing the puck and eating time in the offensive zone.

The only problems I see with the forwards here going forward is the 2nd line, partially because of usage and partially because of bad play. If they'd trade Kessel for a more complete RWer, Malkin would round back into form and the 2nd line would be McCann-Malkin-RW, I'd really like this forward group. I just don't think we'll see ZAR not in the top-9, and ZAR doesn't have a spot in the top-9 in this setup.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Simon and Hornqvist complement Bjugstad really well on the 3rd line, so I'd rather not touch that line anytime soon. That line could be an absolutely excellent playoff line, because even when they're not scoring, they're likely possessing the puck and eating time in the offensive zone.

The only problems I see with the forwards here going forward is the 2nd line, partially because of usage and partially because of bad play. If they'd trade Kessel for a more complete RWer, Malkin would round back into form and the 2nd line would be McCann-Malkin-RW, I'd really like this forward group. I just don't think we'll see ZAR not in the top-9, and ZAR doesn't have a spot in the top-9 in this setup.

I'm really dreading what JR might do with Kessel this off season. For all his struggles that is still a lot of production to replace and at a cheap cap hit too.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Bjugstad on Hornqvist “He’s intense” :laugh:

We see, we’ve heard!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I saw just the third period. These are comments on that period.

++the amount of creation that Geno did was staggering. Great game by him in the offensive zone.

+/- Kessel actually did a decent job forechecking and supporting Malkin. However he couldn't finish chances as per the usual. 4 more months.

+JJ. Again. Taking crazy pills.

+Murray

------Defending the 6-on-5. We have to do drills on this or something. The turtling and collapsing with 5 out there is just not acceptable. And we got burned by it. Again.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think it's actually a big help to us that Bjug has been on a team with higher expectations and didn't quite live up to them. He's more likely to be happy in a 3rd line role than someone who hasn't had that experience.

Ya excellent point.

The Florida beat guy after the trade couldn’t emphasize enough how much he preferred center over wing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm really dreading what JR might do with Kessel this off season. For all his struggles that is still a lot of production to replace and at a cheap cap hit too.

Meh, I'm confident you can replace Kessel on the PP at this point with Guentzel. At that point, you just need to find a 40-50 ES point winger, which should be doable with Kessel as the main trade piece.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Worst case is he gets a lots of ice time player back that sucks. That'd be hard to accomplish in a Phil deal one would think.

Trading him and picking up a winger in Free Agency wouldn't be too too bad. Lots to like in the forward FA class this summer.

Reactions: Pancakes

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bjugstad on Hornqvist “He’s intense” :laugh:

We see, we’ve heard!

Hmmmm...then I propose lines of:

Bleuger-Sid-Cullen
Wilson-Malkin-Simon
Jake-Kessel-Bjugstad
ZAR-McCann-Hornqvist

Ya know...balance and stuff.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Cool that Jared McCanned 2, what a pick and such coolness from big Bjugstad on his goal, the delivery velocity was proportionnaly opposite to the patience involved before shooting.

Gotta love'em acquisitions.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I'm never going to get through all the pages, but hopefully with the injury to ZAR we finally get to see what could easily be the best third line in the league

McCann - Bjugs - Kessel

I know I mention it after almost every game, but this line just has to work...right?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm never going to get through all the pages, but hopefully with the injury to ZAR we finally get to see what could easily be the best third line in the league

McCann - Bjugs - Kessel

I know I mention it after almost every game, but this line just has to work...right?

Why don’t we just leave McCann in the top six? He’s lighting it up and providing very good defensive support.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

McCann - Bjugs - Kessel

I don’t generally get involved in the “zomg Geno’s wingers” complaints, but if Jake, McCann, and Kessel aren’t going to play with Geno, and Rust is out, who are we playing him with, exactly?

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So, for those who have been arguing for Blueger to L2 LW . . .

5 minutes there last night.
Shot attempts: 11-2
Scoring Chances: 3-0

I know Sully and @ColePens would disagree, but perhaps even if ZAR is healthy for Thursday, Blueger has EARNED a game as L2 LW?

I don't disagree that Malkin and Phil could use some speed on that LW, but the end of that game was simply Malkin and Phil playing with some urgency after a demotion.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't disagree that Malkin and Phil could use some speed on that LW, but the end of that game was simply Malkin and Phil playing with some urgency after a demotion.

No. It wasn't. And to argue that completely minimizes what Blueger was doing out there. He was forechecking hard and fast. He was moving to support and make himself available instead of watching and reacting. And, we was getting Geno the puck where he had time and space and sometimes was coming with speed. These may seem like simple little things, but they're oh so important.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t generally get involved in the “zomg Geno’s wingers” complaints, but if Jake, McCann, and Kessel aren’t going to play with Geno, and Rust is out, who are we playing him with, exactly?

He should just make due with the sloppy seconds and thank JR and Sully for it.

#Ingrate

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think it's actually a big help to us that Bjug has been on a team with higher expectations and didn't quite live up to them. He's more likely to be happy in a 3rd line role than someone who hasn't had that experience.
Bjugstad COULD be a solid 3C for us as long as he can maintain some consistency. He has a lot of good raw tools.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Man, I know Murray was all world again in this one, and shut the door on every comeback attempt, but what a controlled, organized win. All the nightmare scenarios for this team a few weeks ago have been unfounded, and the only thing that hasn't improved has been Kessel (and Geno, who is still in a funk).

Barring those two, every other aspect of this team has gotten better. The depth scoring, the PK, the blueline, you name it. Lost Dumo and Letang and somehow the D just goes back to a simpler game, moves its biggest liability onto his stronger side, and adds a universally panned player....who just keeps it simple and doesn't look bad at all. I don't wanna say shades of 2016/17, but its certainly flying in the face of expectations once again.

So turns out old JR isn't stupid after all. Go figure.

Yeah, its kind of crazy how everything has turned around in a few short weeks.

We still have problems and have a long way to go, but pulling the disaster of the Brassard move out of the fire with these guys has been a big plus. They're young, they're cost controlled, and they give us the kind of depth we can count on for years.

Gudbranson was a big big risk because of his contract. And even if he's largely successful, he has robbed us of salary flexibility. We've got a while yet to go on that one, but if he continues to look like he has (and gets more comfortable) and we can lower his minutes when 58 gets back, its another solid move, albeit at a big cost

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

That would be Simon-Hornqvist. Or Bloogs-Hornqvist.

Yup.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
That would be Simon-Hornqvist. Or Bloogs-Hornqvist.

Yup.
This is kind of what I was thinking. Or just for fun try Bleuger - Geno - Simon

The thing is, if Geno can get going he can be successful with almost any two of the Pens NHL caliber wingers. If the Pens want to win the cup, or at least have a whiff of the cup, they need to have more than just Jake and Sid scoring. McCann is a luxury to have in the top six, but he is more of a necessity for the third line because he works well with Bjugs and with Kessel. If Sully were to play McCann - Bjugs - Kessel as the third line now, it gives them time to develop chemistry. If the Pens can have Sid/Jake, Geno and a strong third line all scoring, then the team is almost unbeatable. As effective as HBK was, I am confident that MBK is better or at least could be better.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Hey kid, you’re alright :)

D1V_iQ7WsAEihXf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad