Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Bruins 2 - A Huge Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Since Murray's return in December; .2.34GAA & 942SV% - 20-6-2 - He's 2nd after Robin Lehner in SV% and 5th in GAA with 20 games played min.

Since his returns in February: 2.37GAA & .932SV% - 8-2-2 - 3rd in SV% and 10th in GAA with 7 games played min.

Damn fine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Daley works only as a point of comparison- e.g. for a trade that most people on this board absolutely hated when it went down because they didn't realize how well Daley would fit in here. I don't think anyone is seriously saying that Daley and Gudbranson are the same, just that Gudbranson's showing more offensive and defensive instincts here, better mobility, than he did in Vancouver.

Plus, historical footnote, Daley had 6 points for the Hawks the year they traded him and was just flat out awful for the firs 1/3 of the season. He was objectively worse on that squad than Gudbranson was for Vancouver. :laugh: He was the big trade that didn't pan out for them.

Have to say, I went back and read the Daley trade thread and it mostly seemed to be full of absolute euphoria that we'd moved Scuderi. As much support for Daley as criticism.

There's been a lot of trades that have met plenty of criticism, but I don't think I'm ever going to see one that critical ever again.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
A little hard to believe that after a really great win and a great strech here some are bringing up Sprong...

I would have loved to keep him around too and given him a real oppurtunity, but it just wasn't gonna happen. We have enough talent up-front without him, and the player we got back has been potentially far more valuable given Sprong's usage.

Not to mention hes not very good.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Daley works only as a point of comparison- e.g. for a trade that most people on this board absolutely hated when it went down because they didn't realize how well Daley would fit in here. I don't think anyone is seriously saying that Daley and Gudbranson are the same, just that Gudbranson's showing more offensive and defensive instincts here, better mobility, than he did in Vancouver.

Plus, historical footnote, Daley had 6 points for the Hawks the year they traded him and was just flat out awful for the firs 1/3 of the season. He was objectively worse on that squad than Gudbranson was for Vancouver. :laugh: He was the big trade that didn't pan out for them.
Yeah none of that is true. We were overjoyed to give up Scuderi, and while some people had concerns about Daley being rid of Scuds was the main priority. Most people on this board absolutely did not hate the trade, in fact I'd say it was the other way around.

Also as bad as Daley was in Chicago, firstly it was poor deployment by Quenneville (playing him as a LD) and also even then he wasn't as bad as Gudbranson. It really cannot be emphasized enough that Gudbranson was literally the worst regularly playing defenceman in the league for Vancouver.

Gud has been perfectly fine so far and I hope to God he keeps it up. Same with Johnson. If Sullivan can somehow get the best out of those two we'll be in very good shape.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Very impressive win, although we just had to make things tense in the end as usual. First period was almost perfect, we created lot of chances in the third too and struggled a bit in the second as usual. Bruins are a good team and unlike us shoot a lot on the PP, which skewed the shot stats a bit. JJ's miraculous transformation continues, he even hit the net with some shots this time, praying that it continues. Horny, Bjugstad and Simon seem to be developing nice chemistry and Horny is back to being a real thorn in other teams' side. Geno and Phil woke up in the third and were unlucky not to score. Sid and Jake and their magical chemistry is amazing to watch. McCann's trade looks more and more like a daylight robbery.

We need to work on the PP, yes, it's not bad statistically but it tends to score from broken plays, counter-attacks, etc.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Since Murray's return in December; .2.34GAA & 942SV% - 20-6-2 - He's 2nd after Robin Lehner in SV% and 5th in GAA with 20 games played min.

Since his returns in February: 2.37GAA & .932SV% - 8-2-2 - 3rd in SV% and 10th in GAA with 7 games played min.

Damn fine

I'm more interested in the HFboards "advanced goalie postings" stats since his return? I miss the usual panel of experts who show up on cue when a goal goes glove-side (the worst kind) or Murray doesn't MAKE.THE.BIG.SAVE (on the third 2on1 of the period). They seemed so sure of themselves just a couple months ago...

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Some people really like Blueger here. Definitely overrated by some. Decent young player, that is all. Not defending ZAR, either. He sucks.

Cue invariable glute pain.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure we as fans realized how much the sudden loss of his father may have affected him for the past year or so--let alone his ability to shoulder the load of being a franchise goalie.

May not be the reason behind his struggles, but I know if I was a 22/23 year old kid and my father suddenly passed, I'd have a really hard time concentrating on my work for a while. I can't imagine the difficulty of having to deal with the pressure of being an NHL goalie on a team desperately chasing Cups.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
This team goes as far as Murray takes them. Sid and Geno drive the bus, and Letang (rest his soul, sweet baby boy) is also an integral part of our ability to go deep into the playoffs. Of course, any team that goes far has a quality supporting cast and guys like Horny, McCann, Rust, and Bjugstad are just that--with the addition of Kessel if he rights the ship.

All of that being said; none of it matters if Murray isn't playing at the top of his game. Luckily for us, for the first time in a couple years, Murray seems to be hitting his stride and getting hot right before the playoffs again.

LMAO, love it! Feel the same!

Based on what I've seen, Guds knows when to pinch in the OZ to keep plays alive. He kind of reminds of Dumo in the sense that he will opt for the safe but effective play when partnered with an offensive guy (Schultz).

That's what has impressed me the most. He knows he's slow, so he plays "smart". More to it than that, but I think that's a fair simple explanation.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm not sure we as fans realized how much the sudden loss of his father may have affected him for the past year or so--let alone his ability to shoulder the load of being a franchise goalie.

May not be the reason behind his struggles, but I know if I was a 22/23 year old kid and my father suddenly passed, I'd have a really hard time concentrating on my work for a while. I can't imagine the difficulty of having to deal with the pressure of being an NHL goalie on a team desperately chasing Cups.

No doubt. But the Fleury maniacs chastise and taunt him when he allows a breakaway goal to Kuznetsov.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

Especially in a fanbase that doesn't like or appreciate you because you outplayed a fan favorite.

Reactions: ncm7772

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
What a game by Matt Murray, I dunno what changed in his psyche as of late but he is FOCUSED. This is the murray I thought we'd have for most of the season. Glad we have him now, stay hot Matt we get this level of goal tending in the playoffs and we can beat anyone.

Those florida boys, I'm still amazed by JR picking them up for what we gave up. JJ since he went to his strong side has been great, never take him off that side again...

Crosby was great in this game with no shots on net (though one post). This is easily one of his best seasons ever and deserves some individual hardware.

Reactions: ncm7772

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
I wasn't expecting much from Jared Mccann when we traded for him, but I've been pleasantly surprised. He has 13 Points in 19 games and a +9 since joining us, and looks pretty good out there.

Its nice when a player comes in and just gels like this.

Reactions: BHD and ncm7772

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I really hope we have the same jump tomorrow night
What a fantastic 1st period displayed by the Pens last night, not many teams have a chance to beat us when we play like that
Keep up the great work boys
And Matt Murray, just WOW!!!!

It was awesome to see the Pens come out and set the tone last night. Doesn't happen enough!

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's what has impressed me the most. He knows he's slow, so he plays "smart". More to it than that, but I think that's a fair simple explanation.

I don't think Gudbranson is slow, that's not something I've noticed about his game. The only thing I've noticed about his game is that nothing stands out with him, he seems to be a jack of all trades type of defenseman.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I don't think Gudbranson is slow, that's not something I've noticed about his game. The only thing I've noticed about his game is that nothing stands out with him, he seems to be a jack of all trades type of defenseman.

Honestly the only thing I see is a little similar to Maatta is when he gets shifted along the boards he has a hard time with his pivot and will get caught flat footed
He has been a good addition so far and should be okay in the playoffs
We won a freakin Cup with Ron Hainsey as our main guy!!!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Based on what I've seen, Guds knows when to pinch in the OZ to keep plays alive. He kind of reminds of Dumo in the sense that he will opt for the safe but effective play when partnered with an offensive guy (Schultz).
It's early and I don't want to jump the gun here, but thus far Guds has shown a better hockey IQ than I anticipated. He's making the proper reads in when to pinch and pull back. So far so good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Yeah people criticizing his skating still is blowing my mind. Dude is pinching up the boards as well as Schultz.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm loving the deal Rutherford made with the panthers to get McCann and Bjugstad.
We got younger, faster and added depth. My concern with Bjugstad is consistency in production. If he can be a 40 point guy and shore up his faceoffs a bit we'll be good there. He's consistently getting scoring chances however which is a good sign. McCann has tons of potential here. He could really be a find for us when he plays fast and is given the opportunities he's garnered thus far. Really good open ice player from what I've seen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad