Post-Game Talk: Penguins - 3, Senators - 2

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I was starting to get frustrated with Simon's minutes but maybe it isn't on the coaches. He had the same number of shifts as Scuds but he was coming off the ice a full 9 seconds earlier. Has he been taking short shifts all season?

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Here is the obvious from today's game.

1. Ebberts does not belong in the NHL.

2. based on one game only, Jr's trade for the Hammer is a gem.

3. And not because of his winning goal, but because the way he is playing to date, Erhoff will get a bigger payday than Nisky and Orpik, and because of cap constraints he will not be a pen next year.

4. #s 47 and 8 have more offensive ability than Scuds has shown in the last 5 years.

5. Scuds will continue to block the development of the younger D just like he did last year with #47.

6. I am not an MAF supporter, but right now he is the Pens MVP.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Congrats to Craig for beating the Pens franchise record of consecutive games played! 314 games! A feat that could only be done by an iron man, one who plays hard and fights through any injury.

Next up? Just 93 more games and he reaches the 1,000 games played plateau. Hopefully he can find the energy to put in one more season to reach it before retiring under the Pens. They still have many young up and coming players that need veteran guidance which he would pass on before hanging up his skates.

As for + and -, a big minus to Sutter. Started out the season playing well and has done nothing but play poorly. Including tonight where he got an assist. I give my plus of the game to Klinkhammer. Drew some penalties, very physical and just played a very impressive game overall. Showed that he deserved that 4th line winger spot over Sill.

Kill me now if this happens. I won't fight back.

I was starting to get frustrated with Simon's minutes but maybe it isn't on the coaches. He had the same number of shifts as Scuds but he was coming off the ice a full 9 seconds earlier. Has he been taking short shifts all season?

They're supposed to be taking short shifts, it's just that certain players won't get off the ice. He should be getting more shifts than Scuderi at this point. Maatta is struggling (I do think it's getting better overall) and the piece is an anchor, reduce Maatta's workload and get Despres some free shifts.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
off the topic of me *****ing about Despres' play time:

really impressed with Despres, Dumoulin and Maatta in the offensive zone. Dumo and Despres both drew penalties at or below the Ottawa goal line. Dmen are really jumping in on the play, playing aggressive, confident. It's good to see.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Despres had the lowest TOI among Dmen, including Dumo and far and away the least amount of ESTOI (since people keep pointing to that whenever they want to defend the org's usage of Despres)

This is just going by my own eye, but I counted as many ES shifts as Scuds.

I'm just hoping MJ knows Despres is the perfect babysitter for Scuds (ironically not vice versa) and is keeping them together for that reason.

I'm just hoping that it's because DB allowed Maatta to play through his mistakes and he showed the org he can play top four minutes, that he is getting the chance over Despres.

If not I'd love to know why anyone in the org thinks Maatta is the better prospect. Despres is making extremely sound decisions on the ice, is the better skater, is more physical, has a better outlet, is bigger and can rush the puck just as well.

He'll need a partner that is a threat to shoot to get more opportunities. He's always covered with Scuds because they know they don't have to block him up. I'm liking 47s confidence, he looks like he's sorted out when he can jump up and not. I'm confident in his decision making in this system, hopefully he keeps getting more and more involved in the offensive zone.

Scuds is funny. You know he will always pass back to Despres on the re-group. Today he actually made a nice head man pass though. It's quite rare he doesn't draw the F1 in and then slide it over to Despres.

Watch and see what I mean. It's almost comical.

I'd have my F1 to cover up Despres and force Scuds to move the puck, if I'm the other coach.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Despres had two shifts tonight, one on the PP, that were "wow, top-20 Dman" shifts. Obviously that's not the norm, but even his flashes are getting better.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
They're supposed to be taking short shifts, it's just that certain players won't get off the ice. He should be getting more shifts than Scuderi at this point. Maatta is struggling (I do think it's getting better overall) and the piece is an anchor, reduce Maatta's workload and get Despres some free shifts.
I agree with all of that. It is just that 35 sec shifts are really short for d men. That's probably shorter than all the forwards too.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Here is the obvious from today's game.

1. Ebberts does not belong in the NHL.

2. based on one game only, Jr's trade for the Hammer is a gem.

3. And not because of his winning goal, but because the way he is playing to date, Erhoff will get a bigger payday than Nisky and Orpik, and because of cap constraints he will not be a pen next year.

4. #s 47 and 8 have more offensive ability than Scuds has shown in the last 5 years.

5. Scuds will continue to block the development of the younger D just like he did last year with #47.

6. I am not an MAF supporter, but right now he is the Pens MVP.

Set the bar lower. :sarcasm:

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Very impressed with Dumoulin's play in his 2 games thus far. Geno was awesome. I thought the team had some good jump out there today, there's just nobody good out there for it to matter. Our top 6 continues to be a joke. Downie is a 4th liner at best, not a 3rd. Martin is redundant, Dumoulin makes him even more expendable. Please get rid of him ASAP. I have a feeling Klink was all adrenaline today and is going to be this years Pyatt.. though today he was fine.

Adams out to end the game. :shakehead. Come on Johnston.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Despres had two shifts tonight, one on the PP, that were "wow, top-20 Dman" shifts. Obviously that's not the norm, but even his flashes are getting better.

He does the Geno check duck move a bit which I like. When he has the puck more he makes some pretty good power moves.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oh. Megna is here too.

I watched all of Megna's shifts and it's not an effort thing at least, but he just has trouble anticipating the play at NHL speed.

He's always a step behind where he should be. I've questioned he hockey sense in the past, but it's impossible to tell because he's so raw.

I wasn't happy with his game at all this afternoon.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Now we're stalking the players? :sarcasm:

I agree with all of that. It is just that 35 sec shifts are really short for d men. That's probably shorter than all the forwards too.

Well, I didn't know they were 35 second shifts. :laugh:

Looking, it was half assed so I could be very wrong, at the average shift length over the season they're closer. :dunno:

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
On the plus side, the Pens are winning while having umpteen injuries.

I'll take that every time. IF no changes happen before the playoffs, I'll complain.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Well, I didn't know they were 35 second shifts. :laugh:

Looking, it was half assed so I could be very wrong, at the average shift length over the season they're closer. :dunno:
From what I've found, he looks to be at a 44 sec average for the season. Still 6th among d men, about 3 seconds shorter than 5th. Maybe a minute or so total per game.

He had some extremely short shifts tonight that I'm guessing were match up related, and skewed his numbers.

Regardless, I think he needs more time and Maatta needs to be cut back a little.

Last edited:

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Malkin was today's dominant player, but Crosby was really good, also. He was happy to win but angry he didn't score. Breakout game is coming

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Seriously Penguins?

:facepalm:

adams-1040x572.jpg

Edit: No, of course I didn't make that myself. I cringe to see what the Pens would do if he had a run comparable to Bouwmeester's 739 games or H Sedin's 679 games. Parade anyone?

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Malkin was today's dominant player, but Crosby was really good, also. He was happy to win but angry he didn't score. Breakout game is coming
I don't know about that one. He played well, but is obviously more comfortable and effective at the center position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad