Post-Game Talk: Penguins - 3, Senators - 2

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The amount of effort that went into that stupid picture bothers me and now Iron Man is tainted. Actually, does anyone know the last game he missed due to injury and not being scratched?

From what I've found, he looks to be at a 44 sec average for the season. Still 6th among d men, about 3 seconds shorter than 5th. Maybe a minute or so total per game.

He had some extremely short shifts tonight that I'm guessing were match up related, and skewed his numbers.

Regardless, I think he needs more time and Maatta needs to be cut back a little.

Yeah, I think what I found was similar, over 2 seconds but less than 3. Shorter shifts but not shockingly so in general. Maybe match up related, or maybe he's feeling banged up after being a physical monster against Vancouver. Despres went on a bit of a rampage and then went down the tunnel but he came back, apparently his torso or something (I can't remember exactly).

He needs more time and some shots against tougher competitions while Maatta needs to be paced more.

ObsessedCreative*

Seriously Penguins?

:facepalm:

adams-1040x572.jpg

Edit: No, of course I didn't make that myself. I cringe to see what the Pens would do if he had a run comparable to Bouwmeester's 739 games or H Sedin's 679 games. Parade anyone?

This organization is getting beyond ****ing embarassing. The fact that we have to listen to Steiggy be the worlds biggest ****** homer, to their horribly bad twitter / Facebook accounts, and the "pens TV" team I am starting to loathe the image and persona they put out there as much as some of our most hated rivals. :shakehead

Malkin112*

There is no doubt that they will sign Adams 1 year 1M$ contract. He's fan favorite and important locker room guy

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They should have to take it down due to copyright infringement. :laugh:

Yes. We should report it to Marvel/Disney.

This organization is getting beyond ****ing embarassing. The fact that we have to listen to Steiggy be the worlds biggest ****** homer, to their horribly bad twitter / Facebook accounts, and the "pens TV" team I am starting to loathe the image and persona they put out there as much as some of our most hated rivals. :shakehead

I don't understand how their twitter and facebook are so bad. The TV group sucks and can be weird but it's god damn social media, it shouldn't be so difficult.

There is no doubt that they will sign Adams 1 year 1M$ contract. He's fan favorite and important locker room guy

112114_IndianaJones_TohtFaceMelt.gif

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Kyle Turris:

“I don't think my head hit the ice. I haven't seen it it yet but I definitely didn't see anything coming but he definitely got me pretty good. It felt like it was definitely in the head vicinity. I don't know. I haven't seen it.â€

In the head vicinity?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just saw that MAF has only given up 9 goals in the third period and OT all season?

Can anyone confirm that? It doesn't sound right to me.

That's like bizarro MAF right there...

Just did some quick research and it looks like he has given up only 11 goals in the third and OT this season.

Damn.

Last edited:

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
tumblr_ng6bv5sqP31r6f9y3o1_500.gif

goc's facial reaction to the ref's explanation of the sill penalty is priceless.

even adams's attempt at not rolling his eyes is funny.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Kyle Turris:

“I don't think my head hit the ice. I haven't seen it it yet but I definitely didn't see anything coming but he definitely got me pretty good. It felt like it was definitely in the head vicinity. I don't know. I haven't seen it.â€

In the head vicinity?

Dude, just flat out say he didn't hit your head. Everybody can see it, it's not your fault the refs called a penalty.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Malkin was today's dominant player, but Crosby was really good, also. He was happy to win but angry he didn't score. Breakout game is coming

Well, start making some moves when going at the goalie. For all the talent he has, Crosby can be awfully monotone regarding his moves. It's like he wants to prove that his release is always quicker than the goalie can shut his five hole.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Well, start making some moves when going at the goalie. For all the talent he has, Crosby can be awfully monotone regarding his moves. It's like he wants to prove that his release is always quicker than the goalie can shut his five hole.

It's pretty funny the current "Best player in the world" never dekes a goalie. I'm a grinder in beer league hockey and I deke goalies more than him. :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's pretty funny the current "Best player in the world" never dekes a goalie. I'm a grinder in beer league hockey and I deke goalies more than him. :laugh:

Mario used to do 2 things - shoot top right glove hand or do that move coming from the left to open the five-hole. I can't tell you how many times Mario went top right corner instead of a deke.

Sid uses that five hole more than anyone I know. I'd still love to see him roof a few backhands. His backhand is disgusting.

terex

Jan 2, 2010

Are you saying that Sid needs a one on one coaching session with Coach Bombay?

Come here, Sid. Have you been practicing that triple deke? Then you're all set. You may make it, you may not. But that doesn't matter, Sidney. What matters is we're here.

On a sidenote, the original duck bill on the Mighty Ducks jersey in that movie looks a bit like a **** and balls.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mario used to do 2 things - shoot top right glove hand or do that move coming from the left to open the five-hole. I can't tell you how many times Mario went top right corner instead of a deke.

Sid uses that five hole more than anyone I know. I'd still love to see him roof a few backhands. His backhand is disgusting.

A goalie has no chance of stopping a backhand deke that is roofed.

It's not easy to do though, especially with a curve. The difference here is, Crosby has such a flat curve, that lifting the puck on his backhand should be automatic with him.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Kyle Turris:

Quote:
“I don't think my head hit the ice. I haven't seen it it yet but I definitely didn't see anything coming but he definitely got me pretty good. It felt like it was definitely in the head vicinity. I don't know. I haven't seen it.”
In the head vicinity?

that's a Bylsma-like explanation. everything is aproximatively and he's not the one to being blamed for anything... textbook.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

first I thought that photohop has been made sarcastically by a fan... now I find out the organization did it? haha. they are trolling us.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Despres seconds-per-shift over the past 7 games:

35 - Saturday against the Senators
34 - Two weeks ago against the Bruins

(sorry it's out of order)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Despres seconds-per-shift over the past 7 games:

35 - Saturday against the Senators
34 - Two weeks ago against the Bruins

(sorry it's out of order)

You more or less control the time of your own shifts in most cases, within reason.

You are given a standard shift time to be aware of, and unless you keep over extending, it's not usually something the coaches harp on.

Ie, I severely doubt MJ and staff are telling Despres to short shift. Many times you try to get off when your partner does, if possible.

What does Scuds ES shifts look like over the same time period?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
tumblr_ng6bv5sqP31r6f9y3o1_500.gif

goc's facial reaction to the ref's explanation of the sill penalty is priceless.

even adams's attempt at not rolling his eyes is funny.

Goc has cracked me up a few times, him and Adams here are golden here. :laugh:

Johnston is well on his way to hating the refs but seeing him actually be angry is interesting.

Kyle Turris:

Quote:
In the head vicinity?

that's a Bylsma-like explanation. everything is aproximatively and he's not the one to being blamed for anything... textbook.

The head vicinity... so your chest and shoulder? At least think of a better way to say it. :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You more or less control the time of your own shifts in most cases, within reason.

You are given a standard shift time to be aware of, and unless you keep over extending, it's not usually something the coaches harp on.

Ie, I severely doubt MJ and staff are telling Despres to short shift. Many times you try to get off when your partner does, if possible.

What does Scuds ES shifts look like over the same time period?

Can't do ES, i don't have ES Shift numbers.

overall seconds/shift, in order, from Boston to Ottawa

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Can't do ES, i don't have ES Shift numbers.

overall seconds/shift, in order, from Boston to Ottawa

If this includes PK shifts, then it's obviously difficult to draw any conclusions from. PK shifts are generally short when the kill is doing well, and can be over extended on a bad kill.

Just going by my own eye test, Despres should be getting Maatta's minutes. However, MJ I believe wants unity with his pairs, which is why he kept Martin with Letang when Maatta was back. So it's not like he is just doing it with Despres and Scuds.

As for the short shifts yesterday, he may have been sick or had a nagging injury. I know I kept my shifts short in those instances. Either way, he was a beast in person yesterday. That's the important thing here.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I'd like to add this:

My vision of this team is one built around Sid and Geno. You've got so many young defensemen. Use more of them and allocate the cap dollars up front. Sid and Geno are an advantage that nobody else in the league has. Leverage it.

Think about that Ehrhoff goal. The shift before is that insane one from Geno. Ottawa was totally on it's heels. Out comes Sid, and he presses that advantage, and you get the goal.

If you're lucky, even on a fully healthy roster, you might see Sid and Geno put pressure like that one a team maybe twice a game. In a situation like now, be thankful if it happens once.

BUT, imagine if this organization gave Sid and Geno the help they deserve. They'd have back to back shifts like that putting the opposition on their heels 1-2 times a PERIOD.

The Penguins organization has the two players who, by far, are better at putting other teams on their heels than anyone else in the league. Why, with all of these young defensemen, they don't press that advantage is tragic. That it's an organization owned by Mario Lemieux doing this makes it doubly so.

This is simply a poorly run organization and has been for years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't blame Turris for talking around the call.

There's nothing to be gained from him saying the ref got it wrong, and knowing what refs are like, if he made 'em look bad after the call went his way they might be inclined not to call the next borderline hit that somebody makes on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad