Prospect Info: Penguins #3 Prospect

Who's our #3 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The main thing that sticks out to me about our prospect pool is its winger depth.

The top end is definitely not there, but there are about a billion guys who could conceivably carve out a decent NHL career of some sort.

Having a top end guy would be nice, which is why I thought Suzuki or Tomasino were better picks. Those guys, to me, seemed like guys who were potentially game breaking.

Poulin appears to be a guy who will be a fine top 6 winger who will be reasonably productive and could ride shotgun with good talent. I don't hate the pick. I just think there were guys who could be that flash like Guentzel was when he came on the scene.

That being said, I think we have a lot of guys who will be able to come in here and be potential complementary players to the guys we have now. The issue is, when will these guys be ready, and how long will Sid and Geno still be productive?

Reactions: Riptide

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
When Sid and G die down or retire, we’re going to be **** and it won’t matter who we pick in the middle to end of the first round, no one there is going to be able to replace them and make us contenders again...if we’re not picking 1 or 2 in the lottery, we have no shot at contending...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Having a top end guy would be nice, which is why I thought Suzuki or Tomasino were better picks. Those guys, to me, seemed like guys who were potentially game breaking.

Poulin appears to be a guy who will be a fine top 6 winger who will be reasonably productive and could ride shotgun with good talent. I don't hate the pick. I just think there were guys who could be that flash like Guentzel was when he came on the scene.

Yeah, some gamebreaking skill would be nice. The closest thing we have is probably Legare's shot.

That being said, I think we have a lot of guys who will be able to come in here and be potential complementary players to the guys we have now. The issue is, when will these guys be ready, and how long will Sid and Geno still be productive?

Seems like they'll be staggered nicely, though the exact order is anybody's guess. Johnson's likely first, then Bjorkqvist considering how much Guerin likes how he looks in a t-shirt. But Lafferty and Miletic might get a shot too, or Angello depending on how much PUSHBACK we need.

I like Almeida and Bellerive but I imagine the org is gonna want them to develop a bit rather than leapfrog the older prospects.

Encouraging that a handful of WBS prospects could conceivably get a cup of coffee this year, and they each bring something a little different.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think next year is when we'll have to rely on our prospects. With raises to Murray, Mccann etc and the cap barely going up again we'll have to move cap out.

I really hope they actually give some guys chances though. Rather than bringing up scrubs like wilson.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
In terms of being the youthful boost to the core for more cup runs, I think its fair to say all the interesting guys in our pool are at least 1-2 years away and more like 2-3. Guys like Lafferty, Johnson, Bjorkqvist - the ready now guys - are interesting, but probably not much more than good bottom 6ers. Its possible that guys like Poulin/Addison don't coincide with Malkin. Its also possible they simply don't have the quality levels of Boston's/San Jose's young guys, although maybe they have enough - its kind of on the edge.

Realistically, the contribution a lot of these guys will make to our future runs is as trade bait. I wouldn't be surprised if half the top 10 we pick here is traded before it gets to play for Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Why is Hallander viewed higher than Bellerive?

Alot will be surprised by Bellerive. Has the skill and his lower body strength reminds me of Sid. Has a nasty streak too. Will be top 6 or could even stick at C if they decide. But Id like to see Guentzel - Crosby - Bellerive eventually

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Strictly numbers wise? Off the top of my head believe he had a top 10 scoring season for a U19 SHLer in the cap era.

I think there's one statistical projection that said Hallander should have gone 25OA in his draft year (simply by comparing league adjusted numbers). That said, I've seen another that says Bellerive has more or less the same potential.

I'll be honest, right now I'd pick Hallander because I have no concerns about burns hindering him, but otherwise I might lean towards Bellerive. Hallander looks very smart and I like the way he plays in highlights, but every now and again I see what people say about Bellerive's shot and I think that gives him a fractionally higher ceiling.

Of course, Almeida's ceiling is a tad higher than both #FightMe

(Actually I think CLC might have been telling me he rated Almeida higher than Bellerive during the season...)

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
In the very small sample size of 3 AHL games Bellerive didn’t look too comfortable. Hallander has looked good against men already.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anywho. One thing I have noticed about the last few drafts is that the Pens are picking a huge variety of players who could work in a variety of different contexts. I don't think it's because they want to necessarily put them all on the squad, but because it seems like the front office isn't quite sure which way the league is going to go in the next few years.

Will we need speed? We've got it. How about size? We certainly drafted some mutants. Truculence? f*** off. We've got some finese players (though none super high end), some playmakers, a bunch of positional guys, and some physical beasts. We've got our psychotically jolly goalie, and a bunch of dudes that used to be in frats.

Maybe that's the fruit of going BPA, I dunno. But it sure seems like GMJR and co., are just kind of hedging all sorts of bets with the upcoming expansion draft and whatnot.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I must have missed it in one of the other threads, but how exactly did a campfire explode and injure Bellerive?
"Something was placed into the fire pit that caused an explosion" according to the RCMP. I don't think Bellerive was actually that close to the fire at the time, but he got his hands burned trying to put out the fire that was on whoever was close to it.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Anywho. One thing I have noticed about the last few drafts is that the Pens are picking a huge variety of players who could work in a variety of different contexts. I don't think it's because they want to necessarily put them all on the squad, but because it seems like the front office isn't quite sure which way the league is going to go in the next few years.

Will we need speed? We've got it. How about size? We certainly drafted some mutants. Truculence? **** off. We've got some finese players (though none super high end), some playmakers, a bunch of positional guys, and some physical beasts. We've got our psychotically jolly goalie, and a bunch of dudes that used to be in frats.

Maybe that's the fruit of going BPA, I dunno. But it sure seems like GMJR and co., are just kind of hedging all sorts of bets with the upcoming expansion draft and whatnot.

Yeah, we should be pretty adaptable moving forward unless the league starts trending towards highly-skilled forwards.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I get a serious Joey Hadad / JS Dea vibe about Bellerive. They both came in on an invite, had a great prospect tournament, went back and played great in juniors but then their game completely flopped when it was time to play in the AHL. I think he's way overhyped here. I'm happy to be giving him a shot with us, but I wouldn't be investing too heavily into him just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad