Salary Cap: Penguins 2013-14 cap/roster building discussion (Contract chart in Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, you could really improve this team with an extra 7 million in cap space this year.

It's gotta be through trade though. As mentioned above, the FA pool this summer is weak. Who knows if teams will bite on deals for Letang, MAF, Sutter, etc. That's why I'm not optimistic about this team getting fixed this summer.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, you could really improve this team with an extra 7 million in cap space this year.

I would have asked for a top line forward, a young NHL ready top 9 forward and a high pick for him last summer.

At this point, I'd take a package based around an upgrade in the top 6 and the cap space we'd get moving him.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Sucks that we have to go back to Fleury buyouts and goalie signings with our cap geek fantasies.

1. DB needs to go at this point. The lack of effort combined with lack of composure is just too prevalent with this team. How about Trotz as HC and Tocchet as an assistant?

2. Fleury needs to go. Shero needs to show that repeated playoff failure isn't accepted. Was hoping he'd figure it out but he basically took a series from 3-1 to 2-2. Say what you want about games 1-3 but he's allowing 3-4 goals every game.

3. At the moment Beau has seemingly become less of an option for Crosby. I'm not sure I love BB and Dupuis flanking Sutter - too much soft on that line. If Sutter is back I'd look for a physical winger to play with him and Dupuis, and then slide Bennett up with Malkin and Neal. Leaves a 1st line void still...

Might need to move a certain defenseman to get that 1st line winger. I am pro Letang but his salary can not be justified if he can't anchor our PP.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we're not trading any of our core players, I'd move Neal up with Sid full time. Sign Kule and play Beau on Geno's RW.

Try and clear some cap space and use it to address the bottom six.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
If we're not trading any of our core players, I'd move Neal up with Sid full time. Sign Kule and play Beau on Geno's RW.

That's a slick way to move pieces around actually. Like it a lot.

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Kulemin - Malkin - Bennett
Stempniak - Kesler - Dupuis

Not sure if that's feasable without Letang moved in the Kesler deal, or elsewhere. But that's the kind of top 9 needed to win.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That's a slick way to move pieces around actually. Like it a lot.

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Kulemin - Malkin - Bennett
Stempniak - Kesler - Dupuis

Not sure if that's feasable without Letang moved in the Kesler deal, or elsewhere. But that's the kind of top 9 needed to win.

I'm just done with the Malkin/Neal dynamic. Malkin needs to start shooting more. And the past has shown he can play at his best without a pure sniper.

Kunitz and Neal are good together. I'd argue the sum is greater than the parts. And Sid has produced with them whenever the trio have been together.

Kule is exactly what Geno needs in the playoffs. And Beau plays a similar style to Geno and would look to set him up instead of the other way around.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I'm just done with the Malkin/Neal dynamic. Malkin needs to start shooting more. And the past has shown he can play at his best without a pure sniper.

Kunitz and Neal are good together. I'd argue the sum is greater than the parts. And Sid has produced with them whenever the trio have been together.

Kule is exactly what Geno needs in the playoffs. And Beau plays a similar style to Geno and would look to set him up instead of the other way around.

I agree. At first glance it might seem like a slight downgrade for Malkin but having the right pieces around him might turn him back into 40 goal Malkin. Not 28 goal Malkin which is the rate he's scored in the past 2 seasons.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I agree. At first glance it might seem like a slight downgrade for Malkin but having the right pieces around him might turn him back into 40 goal Malkin. Not 28 goal Malkin which is the rate he's scored in the past 2 seasons.

Kunitz-Sid-Neal would force teams to put their top center+D pairing on them all series.

Kule and Beau give Geno the necessary supporting cast to take advantage of the matchups from there. Beau brings that dynamic element outside of Geno. Kule is the workhorse that gets them out of the D-zone and will compete more along the wall and around the net than anyone Geno's had on his line all year.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Kulemin can play both wings, as can BB. I think Kule has been playing mostly RW with the Leafs, so BB could stay on LW. But, either way, I agree with you ... would be nice if we could sign Bolland for the 3C spot.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($4.000m)
xxx / Dave Bolland ($5.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Zach Sill ($0.550m) / Joe Vitale ($0.800m) / Jayson Megna ($0.900m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Simon Despres ($0.900m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.605m) /

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,874,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,225,833

Still plenty of cap to fill the LW spot on the third line

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If we even toy with the notion of moving Geno before exhausting all options regarding a trade of Letang and his laughable contract, I'd probably reconsider my allegiance to this team. Completely unacceptable by the very definition of the word.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we even consider trading Malkin before Letang, my lord.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If we even toy with the notion of moving Geno before exhausting all options regarding a trade of Letang and his laughable contract, I'd probably reconsider my allegiance to this team. Completely unacceptable by the very definition of the word.

This is exactly why I keep harping on making the coaching change first and foremost.

It makes absolutely zero sense to start trading away core pieces of this team before firing Bylsma. You get rid of the biggest problem first (Bylsma), then you start tinkering based on what you see when the new guy comes in. You don't do it the opposite way.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Sid and Geno are untouchable, even if they've underwhelmed lately in the postseason. They should be untouchable. They aren't the problem. After that, i'd absolutely listen on anyone else. This team needs to be blown up ASAP.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This is exactly why I keep harping on making the coaching change first and foremost.

It makes absolutely zero sense to start trading away core pieces of this team before firing Bylsma. You get rid of the biggest problem first (Bylsma), then you start tinkering based on what you see when the new guy comes in. You don't do it the opposite way.

I agree to a point, but I think Letang NEEDS to go. His contract is Gomez-like, and he's the only trading chip we have that can bring back the pieces this team needs to start fixing the dumpster fire it's become.

But yeah, I agree. The first chip that needs to fall is Bylsma.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree to a point, but I think Letang NEEDS to go. His contract is Gomez-like, and he's the only trading chip we have that can bring back the pieces this team needs to start fixing the dumpster fire it's become.

But yeah, I agree. The first chip that needs to fall is Bylsma.

I'm not against dealing Letang, especially based on his play this season. He just doesn't seem to be playing anywhere near an elite defenseman, despite the fact he's paid like one.

Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't know enough about coaching to know whether Letang looking like a waste of cap space is on him, or whether a better coach could actually bring out the best in him. That's the sole reason I'd hang on to Letang until at least seeing him under a new coach/system.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Letang hasn't played like a franchise D-man in the playoffs. The last time he was putting up points while shutting down top end players was 09.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm not against dealing Letang, especially based on his play this season. He just doesn't seem to be playing anywhere near an elite defenseman, despite the fact he's paid like one.

Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't know enough about coaching to know whether Letang looking like a waste of cap space is on him, or whether a better coach could actually bring out the best in him. That's the sole reason I'd hang on to Letang until at least seeing him under a new coach/system.

The thing is, a new coach isn't going to fill out the wings with the wingers we need, and he's not going to fill out the bottom six with the kind of guys we're sorely lacking. He'll change the complexion of this team, and right the ship in that regard, but we're still in a bad ****ing spot personnel-wise. We have Neal and Bennett for the long term for our top six wingers. Kunitz will be 35, and despite whatever meaningless stats he's accumulated during the regular season, he's not getting it done come playoff time production-wise and he's lost any sort of physical aspect of his game. The wheels will fall off sooner rather than later with Kunitz. It's as urgent as it's ever been with regard to finding permanent fixes to Sid's wing. Letang's the only way we achieve that. Add to that the fact that he's a luxury player, and not a make-or-break guy for this team, and it's a no brainer.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
What do people think about going to KMN and XX-C-B?

If a viable winger for Crosby can be found.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
What do people think about going to KMN and XX-C-B?

If a viable winger for Crosby can be found.

If XX is really solid top 6 guy, then yes. Good skater, good boardplay and actually some hands. Who is that guy? Im thinking Kesler, E.Kane possible? I just dont see Shero targeting those guys when Duper is back, i really think he is so ****ing stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad