Salary Cap: Penguins 2013-14 cap/roster building discussion (Contract chart in Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'd keep Shero. To me he's put good rosters together. Coaching has been the failure.

You like our current roster? Because if we keep Shero this is pretty much our roster. He has seen to that with the brutal contracts given out to Letang, Dupuis et al. Very little wiggle room now, and we have 30-somethings on long-term deals. Yay.

I agree, I don't really understand the Shero hate but I won't question, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Hey why don't we reunite the goalie/coach tandem that owned us in 2010? Jaroslav Halak and Jacques Martin!

EDIT: That 2nd part is absolutely serious also. I would like Martin to replace Bylsma and Halak to replace Fleury. Team is instantly better IMO.

We need to become TOUGHER, not softer. All Jacques Martin would do is make this team even easier to play against. No thank you.

That's the hardest part of putting together a lineup without Fleury, but you'd have to think we'd be an attractive destination for Halak, considering most of the cup contenders are well set in net. I'd think a 3 year deal would be best as a bridge to our young tenders, but a 5 year deal would be fine as a safer bridge, and being realistic about what his demands will be. I think he will command 5x5 somewhere.

We can also look at Hiller, or as a sleeper, Khudobin in a trade, then extend him if he plays well.

Khudobin isn't going anywhere. He's Carolina's 'keeper. They'll peddle Cam Ward this summer.

As for Halak, five years, $25 million sounds like another Ray Shero-esque bad idea.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Khudobin isn't going anywhere. He's Carolina's 'keeper. They'll peddle Cam Ward this summer.

As for Halak, five years, $25 million sounds like another Ray Shero-esque bad idea.

I didn't say I loved the idea of giving Halak 5x5, but that's what he'll get. If we want an established goalie coming into his prime, it won't be cheap. I'm fine with taking a shot with someone. But the next tier down of goalies includes guys like Riemer. That's not much of an upgrade. I'm not interested in Miller or his cap hit.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
do we still have both of our compliance buyouts?

Yes, but we can't use one on Scuds. And we shouldn't need to on Fleury, someone will roll the dice on him in a contract year with little risk and a rising cap. Not that we'll get much, but something is better than nothing.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
1. Trade Fleury for whatever
2. Trade Scuderi for whatever
3. Trade Letang+small piece to Edmonton for Perron
4. Trade Bennett+Sutter+F prospect for Wheeler
5. Trade Neal+Despres+Samuelsson for Yandle
6. Call up Pouliot
7. Re-sign Goc, Stemp, Niksy.
8. Sign Halak 4 years 20M
9. Sign Winnik for around 2M per.

FORWARDS

Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Blake Wheeler ($5.600m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Daniel Winnik ($2.250m) / Marcel Goc ($2.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.605m) / Joe Vitale ($0.750m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN

Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Matt Niskanen ($4.750m)
Derrick Pouliot ($0.894m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jaroslav Halak ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,711,625; BONUSES: $493,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,288,375

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
keeping fleury for this long is absolutely inexcusable.

Agreed. And Completely under valuating players of a certain type and skillset, from draft day to FA.

From starting out with one philosophy and then switching or abandoning that philosophy on team construction.

For living in the past. Signing Scuderi and Michalek even though we play a system they cannot excel in.

Surrounding Crosby/Malkin with JUNK.

Granted signing guys like Cooke and Ruutu were nice......almost a decade ago.

Time for new management period.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
1. Trade Fleury for whatever
2. Trade Scuderi for whatever
3. Trade Letang+small piece to Edmonton for Perron
4. Trade Bennett+Sutter+F prospect for Wheeler
5. Trade Neal+Despres+Samuelsson for Yandle
6. Call up Pouliot
7. Re-sign Goc, Stemp, Niksy.
8. Sign Halak 4 years 20M
9. Sign Winnik for around 2M per.

FORWARDS

Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Blake Wheeler ($5.600m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Daniel Winnik ($2.250m) / Marcel Goc ($2.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.605m) / Joe Vitale ($0.750m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN

Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Matt Niskanen ($4.750m)
Derrick Pouliot ($0.894m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jaroslav Halak ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,711,625; BONUSES: $493,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,288,375

Aren't you done watching this team?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Letang has never played to the level of his current contract. That contract was given on the basis he would be getting better not worse.

I'm not saying he was bad in the last 3 years, he had one really good year, but not 7+million a year good. He put up a lot of points, but still had his negatives.

Really? His current contract has a cap hit of 3.5m. He's played well beyond that - especially the last couple of seasons.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Am the only one who looks at the free agency list and not think it is that great a pool?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Any GM taking Letang for a legit top six winger (at least 25 goals plus per season) and giving the pens valuable cap space would be fool hearty. I wish it would happen but it won't. but every trade has two components, cap and player evaluation.

If you were the Pens would you trade Kunitz or Neal for Letang if he were on another team. That's what you are asking another GM to do. The answer should be a NO NO.

That all depends on team needs. Pittsburgh wouldn't move Kunitz/Neal for Letang because we have no winger depth, and have a log jam on D. However, a team like Edmonton or Tampa who both need top end D and are stacked at forward would be much more likely to see if there's a deal to be made (F for D).

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
No to people wanting Megna or Gibbons on the fourth-line. Either they get top-nine minutes, or they go WBS/another team. It reminds too much of how useless Dustin Jeffrey/Andrew Ebbett/Chris Conner/Jason Williams were as fourth-liners. Pittsburgh needs grit and toughness on the fourth line.

My preferable line:

Enforcer - Zach Sill - Spencer Machacek/Adam Payerl

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
No to people wanting Megna or Gibbons on the fourth-line. Either they get top-nine minutes, or they go WBS/another team. It reminds too much of how useless Dustin Jeffrey/Andrew Ebbett/Chris Conner/Jason Williams were as fourth-liners. Pittsburgh needs grit and toughness on the fourth line.

My preferable line:

Enforcer - Zach Sill - Spencer Machacek/Adam Payerl

Yup. We're on the same page, RT.

We can keep a Gibbons or Megna around to sub in for injuries and/or when the enforcer isn't required, but otherwise they need to play on the third line next season (or elsewhere).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Moving Letang for depth last summer looks like it would have been the correct move.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Moving ANY defenseman, really. Bortuzzo can't get into the lineup. Despres is still down on the farm. It's beyond stupid.

Any defenseman other than Letang wouldn't have brought back the return we needed to rebuild the forward group.

I wanted it to happen. Just as I wanted Dan gone.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't know if hes tradeable, but his NMC goes into effect july 1st, so Shero will have time to move him if he can.

We won't get anywhere what we could have last summer.

One would hope Maatta looking like a top 4 option next year, Martin outplaying Letang in the postseason yet again and our insane amount of depth at the position will at least force Shero to think about it.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
So some day you would be against Stan Bowman?

Eh, got me. Bowman is objectively at another level than Shero in terms of building a team. Bowman already re-built a cup winning roster into another. Shero is still trying to recreate the Patrick's roster from the cup winning team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
We won't get anywhere what we could have last summer.

One would hope Maatta looking like a top 4 option next year, Martin outplaying Letang in the postseason yet again and our insane amount of depth at the position will at least force Shero to think about it.

Yeah, you could really improve this team with an extra 7 million in cap space this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad