Pekka's problem

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
He had a decent game tonight, but watching him is painful. He is really fighting the puck all the time. The good news, I think, is that his troubles appear to be mostly mental. He isn't really slowing that much, but he is out of position from time to time. His biggest problem right now is that he has zero confidence. Every soft puck thrown at him is forcing him to play to the puck twice or double clutch. There is nothing at all that looks remotely smooth about his puck handling, whether it be when he's making a save, or trying to bail out the D by playing the puck. It is noticeable how awkward some of his attempts are, and it's costing us (even though he made several good stops tonight). Making stops is one thing, but he hasn't been the Peks of old in terms of handling the puck.

The good news . . . this seems like a confidence problem that can be fixed. He still has the physical ability to be one of the best goalies in the world, we just need to see those again.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I thought he looked fine tonight other than at the end of the game when he (and the whole team) was scrambling trying to get the puck out of the zone and he ended up on his back.

I'd prefer he just stay in his net sometimes on those iffy pucks behind the net and just let his defensemen retrieve/fight for the puck but I wouldn't complain about his game other than that part at the end of regulation tonight.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The good news . . . this seems like a confidence problem that can be fixed.

So it could be characterized as a goaltender coaching problem? :)

I know, I know, I should stop harping on this, but damnit, I feel like I saw this coming a mile away and got ridiculed for it...

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Again, Rinne was bad Korn's last 2 seasons and we blamed the injuries. This year we blame the goalie coach even though Hutton has made huge strides this season.

i totally agree. People act like the 15-16-8, .910, 2.43 in 2012-13, and 10-10-3, .902, 2.77 in 2013-14 seasons under Korn never happened. There are many good goalie coaches around other than Mitch Korn. This is on Rinne, he's always been a highly emotional up and down from one year to the next type goalie. He's had two year with a higher goal against average than this year, and 3 years when his save percentage was lower or only slightly better than this year.

that's why we shouldn't just assume 'age' has caught up with him, or that his problems this year are due to no Korn. He has it in him to be either a .910 type goalie or a .925 type goalie next year too.

And someone other than Korn has to get some credit for the good years Hutton, Saros and Mazanec are all having if we blame coaching for Rinne's bad year.

Personally I blame the girlfriend. Or Rinne not marrying her after 10 frigging years of being engaged.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I attribute Rinne's recent turnaround not to more rest, but by being challenged because Hutton was given back to back starts and on the verge of more. Competition drives a competitive person, not rest.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I attribute Rinne's recent turnaround not to more rest, but by being challenged because Hutton was given back to back starts and on the verge of more. Competition drives a competitive person, not rest.
Funny to look back on now, but kind of like in 2014 how Hutton actually stepped up and became a pretty legitimate option once we traded for Dubnyk.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
We're not going to go far in this year's playoffs with Rinne in the crease. We may get past first round if he gets hot, but this season he's had so much trouble with consictency (in a week shut out the Blues and gave up 5 goals against the league's least scoring team). He may get hot in one round but will cool off and suck like he did yesterday.

With this goaltending, we're one and done.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I fear this is the new Pekka. Its now a year long problem. Preds wouldn't be in the position of needing excellent goal tending every game if there had been an old Pekka in net early in the year. You're going to have games like last night but right now we can't afford any.
He's had one bad game in his last 10....

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Should've started Hutton last night, it being an OOC game and all.

One should note that Hutton has 3 guaranteed games in the next 4 weeks due to back to backs and it's not like Pekka had been playing bad, he had picked it up. Having said that, I am wondering if we are getting to a point with Pekka where he just can't handle the 65-70 games he used to play, but instead needs that knocked down to the 50's.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
One should note that Hutton has 3 guaranteed games in the next 4 weeks due to back to backs and it's not like Pekka had been playing bad, he had picked it up. Having said that, I am wondering if we are getting to a point with Pekka where he just can't handle the 65-70 games he used to play, but instead needs that knocked down to the 50's.

I wouldn't mind 60 games ... that'd pretty much eliminate most back to backs.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
The way last night went, I have zero trust in Rinne come playoff time. We're so gonna be one and done unless he gets his **** together and lights it up. We are more reliable on our goalie than most teams.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Have we reached the point where Hutton should start in the playoffs? I don't give a **** about payroll he can win some games for us and make key time saves then he should get the nod. If he starts to drop then put Rinne there.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Have we reached the point where Hutton should start in the playoffs? I don't give a **** about payroll he can win some games for us and make key time saves then he should get the nod. If he starts to drop then put Rinne there.

cant access Youtube at work but would insert the Michael Scott "No NO No God NO" clip here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad