Pekka Rinne the most unclutch goalie ever?

member 105785

Luongo was simultaneously the Canucks best and worst player against Boston. Weird series.

He was hung out to dry in all 7 games, even with his polarizing play, he still gets treated unfairly, when was the last time a team won a 7 game series only scoring 8 goals? How can Luongo get hated on so hard when the team got shut out in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals? Pretty sure its the only time that's ever happened. Luongo got 2 shutouts that series and held very strong in game 2, but people always seem to forget how 2 Art Ross winners and a 40 goal scorer were held to a combined 3 points that series.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wouldn't say he is unclutch. I recall him making a couple excellent saves early on in game 6 to keep the 1-0 lead, before the game settled down a bit. That was also an elimination game on the road, and he passed with flying colours.

I would describe him as inconsistent, but I also thought the preds gave too many good looks to the jets, especially for a team considered to have the best defence in the league.

Reactions: Fresh Prince

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I wouldn't say he is unclutch. I recall him making a couple excellent saves early on in game 6 to keep the 1-0 lead, before the game settled down a bit. That was also an elimination game on the road, and he passed with flying colours.

I would describe him as inconsistent, but I also thought the preds gave too many good looks to the jets, especially for a team considered to have the best defence in the league.

Losing like he did in game seven on home ice is definitely unclutch.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
no offense preds fans but rinne has blown the cup for you last season and then giving up those 2 softies in game 7 against the jets was pathetic. preds need to find a good goalie while the cap situation isn't that bad and their players are still in their prime

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
How quickly people here forget: just two years ago (TWO!), the Preds trailed division-winner Anaheim 3-games-to-2 in the 1st round, and then Rinne:

- stopped 26 of 27 shots in Game 6 (only goal allowed was on the PP)
- stopped 36 of 37 shots ON THE ROAD in Game 7 (only goal allowed was on the PP)

Sounds pretty clutch to me.
Anaheim just choked. They blew a 3-2 lead in 4 straight years

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
The mistakes of a goalie are the only mistakes the fans who do not understand the dynamics of ice hockey can (or think they can) recognize. Probably 50% of people having these kind of opinions only watch the highlights, making the bias even greater. Hence these threads and posts about unclutch goalies appear.

Yes, Rinne was bad in game 7 and yes, I am disappointed in his performance, but holy s*** with this hyberbole.

Reactions: Murky and tuozzi

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Rinne has the tendency to start off games, usually big games, shakey and has to settle in. His positioning in game 7 was horrendous. Cant blame the series loss on him entirely. But in game 7 preds offense scored what 2 goals? Not gonna cut it. The team definitely got the life drained out of them after those goals against. In the end the team needed to be better especially mentally. Preds didnt have "it" this playoffs. After the sloppy colorado series i was hoping they would tighten up, but they couldnt string together any consistency. Kudos to the jets, theyre a hell of a team. Hoping for a caps-jets final.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
no offense preds fans but rinne has blown the cup for you last season and then giving up those 2 softies in game 7 against the jets was pathetic. preds need to find a good goalie while the cap situation isn't that bad and their players are still in their prime
Cant blame the cup loss on him... The preds were cashed on forwards. No way that was gonna out gun a firing pens offense.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He was 34/35 by the time he had a chance to play for keeps on a real team. Unfortunately past his prime. With 2011 Rinne Nashville advances.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Rinne might be, ever is a pretty tough word though. I think he does have bigger expectations on him than I have ever understood. I know he is about to win the Vezina but I have never seen him as a top 5 goalie. Maybe that was for a lot of time there him and Jimmy Howard had very similar numbers so I didn't get the accolades Rinne would get for that.

Curious if you know the guy you selected as the anti-Rinne in the OP is 6-6 all-time in Game 7's?

You know who used to have the best Game 7 record for a while, not sure if this has been damaged, but it was Lundqvist for a while... So being great in big moments hasn't got him the ultimate prize.

Rinne is an erratic goalie, it has always been a little confusing. But we know what he is by now. His great is incredible, his bad is a guy that cannot make the league going in there, I don't remember a goalie that had that big of a difference. Turco maybe.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
He was 34/35 by the time he had a chance to play for keeps on a real team. Unfortunately past his prime. With 2011 Rinne Nashville advances.

That may true or not but the last time I looked it is 2018. What he could of done in 2011 is irrelevant. In 7 games the Jets were better.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Rinne's record in elimination games is downright disgusting, no? 2017 was his best year in terms of clutch performances...before that, it was just a bunch of awful.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku

No they don't, they already have Saros.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Luongo played under Vigneault, that pretty much automatically takes him off any unclutch list. At least NYR fans have seen how abhorrent a defense can look with Vigneault's curse of leaving opponents wide open on the weak side - as a deliberate strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad