Pekka Rinne the most unclutch goalie ever?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
'Ever' is a very strong word, so no. He isn't clutch for sure, though.

And who would have guessed: another negative thread/post on a Finnish player by DDRhockey *yawn*

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
In recent history, yes.

But, I'll go one more, and say he's been the most overrated goalie of the decade. I've never understood how he's been considered among the elite. A very good regular season NHL goalie? Sure. An elite, Vezina worthy goalie, absolutely not. Although he'll win it because the awards these days are a crap show, "who do we feel bad for this year" or "who's turn is it" PC love fest.

The problem is, Rinne is a good dude and very likable, so he's easy to cheer for. But, if we're being honest, he is very unlutch and overrated.

I would say the most unclutch since Hextall 2.0, and I'm a Flyers fan. After Hextall returned post-Lindros trade, he absolutely let in brutal goals at the worst possible times - any Flyers fan can attest to this.

IMO, in order to be "unclutch" you have to be considered a very good goalie and expected to perform better when it matters. A crappy goalie is a crappy goalie. But "unclutch" means you're good-to-great but just come up small when it matters. Hextall, Rinne immediately come to mind.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Anaheim just choked. They blew a 3-2 lead in 4 straight years

So when Rinne loses a big game he's "unclutch", but when he wins a big game it's because the other team choked. Got it.

Rinne's record in elimination games is downright disgusting, no? 2017 was his best year in terms of clutch performances...before that, it was just a bunch of awful.

His record in elimination games is 6-7. Could it be better? Sure. But downright disgusting? I don't know about that.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Rinne (West) vs Bobrovsky (East) is the new Luongo (West-Canucks) vs Miller (East-Sabres); for playoffs goalies who can't get it done.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
So when Rinne loses a big game he's "unclutch", but when he wins a big game it's because the other team choked. Got it.
2013: Anaheim goes up 3-2 in the series, loses in game 7 on home ice
2014: Anaheim goes up 3-2 in the series, loses in game 7 on home ice
2015: Anaheim goes up 3-2 in the series, loses in game 7 on home ice
2016: Anaheim goes up 3-2 in the series, loses in game 7 on home ice
2017: Anaheim goes up 3-2 in the series, wins game 7 by 1 goal on home ice after being scored on first.

Can you see the pattern? Rinne played well but do you know the phrase "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"?

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
He is maybe not the most unclutch goalie ever too but Holtby is certainly unclutch for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad