OT: Pearl Jam PJ20

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I can care less about politics.. Eddie Vedder can sing the phone book and ill go and see him in concert. There are not around for 20 yrs because bashing Bush was cool. They are around because they rock the house every where they go!!!

There was a time yes... I'd agree with you. Have you heard Skellie Vedder try to sing post 2008? HORRRR-IIIIID

Keep chain smoking and drinking EV... Pearl Jam and their fanbase in 2015 is like if Tavares came to camp weighing 230 pounds and was getting outskated by brian strait but a contingent of the die hard fan base said... he's older and savvier and he beefed up! He's different but better than ever!

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
There are few artists in rock history, let alone on the current american music scene, let alone stars as high profile as eddie/pearl jam, who are more fan friendly and do more to make their art accessible to their fans.

I'm really into rock, 1960s through the grunge era, and a huge pearl jam fan. I have friends who love all sorts of bands from that era and spend countless hours hunting down obscure bootlegs. Pearl Jam has literally put every single concert they've done from the last decade on itunes, and released official "bootlegs" of many more. This is also a band that has been touring for well more than 20 years now, and still plays 3+ hour setlists at all their concerts. Being a massive pearl jam fan is the most privileged fandom imaginable, from the perspective of how the fans treated by the band. To say Pearl Jam or Eddie has contempt for their fans is the furthest thing from reality ever.

Also, re: the complaints about Pearl Jam's politics — this photo was of Eddie during the band's MTV unplugged set in 1992. It's fine if it's not your thing, and it's totally fine if you vehemently disagree and find it so distasteful that it turns you off their music entirely. But it's not like this hasn't been a core part of their identity since forever:

pro-choice1.jpg

Pearl Jam, and to a lesser extent the 80s/early 90s Seattle music scene, was always heavily infused by an explicitly left-wing sense of social awareness/political activism. It's utterly bizzare to complain about Pearl Jam's politics as if it's in some way incidental to their music — it's been a subtle and often not-so-subtle part of both their stage/media presence and their literal song lyrics since the early days of Ten/Vs./Vitalogy. It's like complaining that Springsteen sings too many songs about alienated members of the working class, or that you went to a Skynyrd concert just to be entertained, not listen to a bunch of songs about the South, or that you really like Neil Young but wish he'd stop singing stuff that's so anti-Nixon. Would it really make sense to say, "I love David Bowie, but wish he'd ditch the pan-sexual brit act"? For better or worse, lefty causes are an absolutely core aspect of the band's identity, not some vanity side project being imposed on fans. If it's not something you want to deal with, then Pearl Jam probably isn't the band for you. Which is totally OK.

I remember a music critic I respect once wrote about Jimmy Buffet something along the lines of: "I don't deny he knows how to put on a good show, it just isn't my kind of show." If you respect Pearl Jam musically, but don't care for their politics, just accept that maybe Pearl Jam just isn't for you. They certainly don't owe it to anyone to alter their identity, and it's sort of nonsensical to request that they somehow could strip their act of politics and "stick to music" when it's infused their music and act from day one.

Nice narrative but their politics have nothing to do with how cheesy their show has gotten (have you seen the forced charade with the bulbs they put on during porch nowadays? LOLOL

how bad eddies voice has gotten...

how sloppy the musicianship has gotten...

or how lazy and uninspired the albums have been since my favorite era of PJ (No Code to Into the Wild)

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Nice narrative but their politics have nothing to do with how cheesy their show has gotten (have you seen the forced charade with the bulbs they put on during porch nowadays? LOLOL

or how lazy and uninspired the albums have been since my favorite era of PJ (No Code to Into the Wild)

Others seem to think differently. If you don't like the way they sound, Eddie's politics, the band's musicianship, etc........... then DON'T LISTEN.

You aren't swaying anyone with your opinion.

I've seen PJ at least ten times and have never been disappointed.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

agree to disagree. i think eddie still sounds great. i'm not going to argue their albums now match up to the early stuff, but the fact that they put out great music for a decade (I think Yield is their last great album, but there's good stuff on Binaural and Riot Act) is itself pretty amazing. (And it sounds like your favorite stuff spans a lot of their second decade — think of how incredible that is.)

it's kind of like blaming Pearl Jam for success. They were the best (and most sophisticated — even in the earliest stuff there's a lot of experimentation) rock group in the world for a while. It's kind of impossible to expect a band that peaked when the members were in their mid-20s to be as creatively vibrant when they're all almost 50. But, like I said before, there's no band more committed to fan service. You might think their stage act is cheesy, but they spend 3+ hours every show playing deep tracks the diehards love, turn around to face the fans who bought the cheaper tickets on the back of the stage, and let fans buy cheap videos of every show.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
agree to disagree. i think eddie still sounds great. i'm not going to argue their albums now match up to the early stuff, but the fact that they put out great music for a decade (I think Yield is their last great album, but there's good stuff on Binaural and Riot Act) is itself pretty amazing. (And it sounds like your favorite stuff spans a lot of their second decade — think of how incredible that is.)

it's kind of like blaming Pearl Jam for success. They were the best (and most sophisticated — even in the earliest stuff there's a lot of experimentation) rock group in the world for a while. It's kind of impossible to expect a band that peaked when the members were in their mid-20s to be as creatively vibrant when they're all almost 50. But, like I said before, there's no band more committed to fan service. You might think their stage act is cheesy, but they spend 3+ hours every show playing deep tracks the diehards love, turn around to face the fans who bought the cheaper tickets on the back of the stage, and let fans buy cheap videos of every show.

In all fairness to them. I also might just be in a PJ burnout phase. I've been to over 20 shows and would still highly recommend people get into their music and see a show. I just personally feel that compared to the band I grew up loving there have been a lot of shifts away from the artsier side of their music (Although I loved pendulum and infallible off of LB) and also there has been a dramatic shift away from the fan friendly ticket prices and 10C fees.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
I've always wondered how much shorter Ten would be if they took out all the "oohs" and "ohs" and "ahs" that make up the ends of all the songs.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
I've seen 'em 4 times since 2005, all of those shows were 3 hours +, they go hard and long live. I like the way they play the songs faster live than on the album. It lets them jam a ton of songs into the concert. I find many of the album songs too slow, but excellent live. I only got into them around 1999 or so. I'd heard the radio songs from Ten before that but didn't realize the number of amazing songs they had. Also I was 1 of those people who couldn't understand the lyrics Eddie was singing, but once I started googling them, my love for Pearl Jam really took off. To this day, I still youtube an old concert or song of theirs almost everyday, usually after work to relax, and on the way to work its usually Pearl Jam cranked to the max in the car !

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Also I was 1 of those people who couldn't understand the lyrics Eddie was singing, but once I started googling them, my love for Pearl Jam really took off.

Also, one of the most rewarding things about watching random concerts is seeing how Eddie changes lyrics around each time/adds random tags. Pearl Jam live is a far cry from Axl Rose reading his lyrics off a teleprompter.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Man I miss the grunge era. Certainly some great music back then. Nirvana being my favorite, though I loved Pearl Jam as well. Big fan or Sound Garden and Alice in Chains too. Just great music, they really saved rock after all that hair band music of the mid to late 80s. Though I liked Guns N Roses first album a lot (not a hair band). I'm an old geezer, born in 1962, and my music growing up was highlighted by some great rock in the late 60s to late 70s, but I truly love music and adapted to and truly loved some of the rock music of the 80's and 90's. Even some in the 2000's.

Last edited:

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Man I miss the grunge era. Certainly some great music back then. Nirvana being my favorite, though I loved Pearl Jam as well. Big fan or Sound Garden and Alice in Chains too. Just great music, they really saved rock after all that hair band music of the mid to late 80s. Though I liked Guns N Roses first album a lot (not a hair band). I'm an old geezer, born in 1962, and my music growing up was highlighted by some great rock in the late 60s to late 70s, but I truly love music and adapted to and truly loved some of the rock music of the 80's and 90's. Even some in the 2000's.

Similar, but younger here. Grunge was my entry point into rock fandom, but I get more and more obsessed with 60s/70s stuff -- Lou Reed, Neil Young, Bowie are my favorites right now.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Wow, talk about memories, lol. I was also at that NVMC show and it was very uncomfortable when "the speech" started. I am not really very political, I define myself as an independent moderate, willing to listen to both sides, develop my own viewpoint and decide/vote accordingly when I feel moved or spurred to take action.

But I do not want to hear a long-winded and rambling speech at a concert. Honestly, I do not want anything of the sort at any entertainment event. I go there to get away from all of the cr@p and mundane life existence. You want to get on your soapbox, even if it is an issue I agree with, keep it short and move on or do it in the proper forum if it is a lengthy diatribe. Go on a talk show, hold a debate, write a blog or publish an article, etc.

That said, I still enjoy Pearl Jam's music and much of the grunge era's bands and I am very thankful that I have XM to listen to on all of my long commutes.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
On the topic of 90's rock - - saw Foo Fighters last night and they absolutely killed it. King Grohl still got it.

I saw them too. Incredible energy. He was more active in a chair than most singers are these days.

Wish they played a few more covers last night. I could have done without the Bad Brains jam.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I saw them too. Incredible energy. He was more active in a chair than most singers are these days.

Wish they played a few more covers last night. I could have done without the Bad Brains jam.

I always wish they would play a Nirvana song..would be very cool.

You're 10% correct about the energy...they were on for like 3.5 hours with minimal breaks...what a freakin show. And that throne is insane haha...he brought the energy for sure.

scott99

May 13, 2005
On the topic of 90's rock - - saw Foo Fighters last night and they absolutely killed it. King Grohl still got it.

Forgot about them. Love the Foo Fighters. Saw them at the Rose Garden in 1996, after their first CD, great band.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad