OT: Pearl Jam PJ20

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
On the soundtrack for the new Pearl Jam documentary by Cameron Crowe, Pearl Jam's performance of Bu$hleaguer from their April 30, 2003 performance at the Coliseum is included. Which probably means that performance is in the film. So a chance to see the old barn on film.

It's at the Farmingdale Multiplex tonight for one night only, then airs on PBS October 21st.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Ha! I was at that show. If it's in the film that would be really cool. Eddie Gets into it with the fans over the Iraq war.

Needless to say Pearl Scam hasn't returned to Nassau County since the incident.

Nassau ain't NYC EV :yo:

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
I loved Pearl Jam when they first came out. I saw them at a now defunct club in Hollywood, called the Cathouse and followed them to bigger venues in LA and Las Vegas.

Then things started to get political and preachy. Now they're just a bunch of pompous millionaires spouting alot of crap. Eddie Vedder is so full of himself, he had the gall to record a ukulele album and then charge top dollar to see his pretenious little performance in concert.

He obviously has contempt for his fans at this point in his career. He needs to start playing the Lilith Fair!!!

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I loved Pearl Jam when they first came out. I saw them at a now defunct club in Hollywood, called the Cathouse and followed them to bigger venues in LA and Las Vegas.

Then things started to get political and preachy. Now they're just a bunch of pompous millionaires spouting alot of crap. Eddie Vedder is so full of himself, he had the gall to record a ukulele album and then charge top dollar to see his pretenious little performance in concert.

He obviously has contempt for his fans at this point in his career. He needs to start playing the Lilith Fair!!!

Why do you say that? I've only heard good things about him from those who have met Eddie.

His Uke record sold pretty damn well for a record of that sort, and the demand for tickets warranted the price as the venues he played were significantly smaller than what he would normally play with Pearl Jam. I wouldn't pay to see it, but seemingly others had no problem doing so.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Ha! I was at that show. If it's in the film that would be really cool. Eddie Gets into it with the fans over the Iraq war.

Yup **** him. When I go to a concert I dont want to hear some ******* who can sing talk about wars/politics. Just because your famous doesnt mean you have to jam your views down peoples throats. Used to love PJ too. I am there to be entertained. if I wanted to listen to someone about politics I would go to a debate or watch TV.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Why do you say that? I've only heard good things about him from those who have met Eddie.

His Uke record sold pretty damn well for a record of that sort, and the demand for tickets warranted the price as the venues he played were significantly smaller than what he would normally play with Pearl Jam. I wouldn't pay to see it, but seemingly others had no problem doing so.

Those others were Pearl Jam groupies and Vedder knew he could take advantage of that fact and exploit those fans gullible enough to buy into it.

My message to Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Eddie Vedder and all of those musicians that use their concerts to get across their political agenda, is to shut up and just play music. I don't want to pay $100 a ticket to hear that crap!!! Those tickets are expensive and I go to concerts to be entertained.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Those others were Pearl Jam groupies and Vedder knew he could take advantage of that fact and exploit those fans gullible enough to buy into it.

My message to Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Eddie Vedder and all of those musicians that use their concerts to get across their political agenda, is to shut up and just play music. I don't want to pay $100 a ticket to hear that crap!!! Those tickets are expensive and I go to concerts to be entertained.

So is it political agenda in general or just certain political agendas? I see you named artists that tend to have a similar view on things. After all, that's quite a bit of vitriol you seem to be injecting into your posts...

Actually, ukuleles are pretty popular in the indie scene right now, and not because of Eddie Vedder. Plenty of acts are incorporating the instrument into their music. Most of it is crap, but he's not the only one doing it. So while some of them might be Pearl Jam fans, I'm sure there were a fair amount of others who probably despise Pearl Jam as it's "old" and just dug the fact that it was uke music.

For the record, I think Pearl Jam is pretty good. I'm no hard core fan though. I haven't really paid much attention to them since Yield. But, I am curious about this documentary.

Last edited:

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI

You know what you're getting from these musicians, so if you don't like it just don't go to the concert. No one's forcing you.

Especially with Bono. If you like U2 odds are you are perfectly fine with Bono making political statements, it's pretty much what made the band popular in the first place, his M.O., you know...when it was cool to like them.

Last edited:

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I can care less about politics.. Eddie Vedder can sing the phone book and ill go and see him in concert. There are not around for 20 yrs because bashing Bush was cool. They are around because they rock the house every where they go!!!

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
You know what you're getting from these musicians, so if you don't like it just don't go to the concert. No one's forcing you.

Especially with Bono. If you like U2 odds are you are perfectly fine with Bono making political statements, it's pretty much what made the band popular in the first place, his M.O., you know...when it was cool to like them.

I did stop going.

When Pearl Jam first arrived on the scene, I used to go and see them everytime they toured LA and Vegas. When they started doing the political message thing, I stopped going. I haven't seen them live in probably 7 or 8 years.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
So is it political agenda in general or just certain political agendas? I see you named artists that tend to have a similar view on things. After all, that's quite a bit of vitriol you seem to be injecting into your posts...

Actually, ukuleles are pretty popular in the indie scene right now, and not because of Eddie Vedder. Plenty of acts are incorporating the instrument into their music. Most of it is crap, but he's not the only one doing it. So while some of them might be Pearl Jam fans, I'm sure there were a fair amount of others who probably despise Pearl Jam as it's "old" and just dug the fact that it was uke music.

For the record, I think Pearl Jam is pretty good. I'm no hard core fan though. I haven't really paid much attention to them since Yield. But, I am curious about this documentary.

It's political agenda in general. It's so annoying to be enjoying a concert, listening to some great music and then some musician spouts some political message that has half the audience jeering and the other half clapping. It's so damn uncomfortable and it stirs up emotions that sometimes divide the people seeing the show. Is that really necessary?

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

I am one of the biggest PJ fans you will ever meet, but I couldn't agree more.

The combination of EV no longer having a singing voice, the band charging exorbitant ticket prices and still acting like punk crusaders... and if you go on the merch site they see things that would make a Kiss fan blush

really just don't get me started.

Pearl Jam 1991-2007

Pearl Scam 2007-present

ayashin716

Jul 5, 2007
Chill your sacks haters!!! As we grow older, there is no doubt in my mind that Pearl Jam will be remembered as the best thing to come out of our generation, and one of the top three Americans rock bands.

Eddie's voice and ability to write songs with such real meaning make him one of a kind.

ALL HAIL PJ!!!!!:yo:

ayashin716

Jul 5, 2007

That's right it ain't NYC. It's a place filled with fake a$$holes who don't know what's good for them. A place filled with small thinkers.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
It's political agenda in general. It's so annoying to be enjoying a concert, listening to some great music and then some musician spouts some political message that has half the audience jeering and the other half clapping. It's so damn uncomfortable and it stirs up emotions that sometimes divide the people seeing the show. Is that really necessary?

Fair enough. I was just wondering as sometimes people start disliking an artist's work because they don't agree with their politics and they just wind up depriving themselves of some wonderful work.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Chill your sacks haters!!! As we grow older, there is no doubt in my mind that Pearl Jam will be remembered as the best thing to come out of our generation, and one of the top three Americans rock bands.

Eddie's voice and ability to write songs with such real meaning make him one of a kind.

ALL HAIL PJ!!!!!:yo:

Agreed, 1991-2006

Thats a great 15 year run. But they are pissing on their legacy and there's no need for their cult fanbase to maintain that they are better than ever.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Saw PJ at Nassau for that show, saw PJ at MSG on the last tour and saw Eddie play his Ukele tour at the Beacon. All great shows. I feel sorry for those "fans" who gave up on them because of "politics". You take the good with the bad sometimes and the 5 minutes of pontification is wayyyyy overshadowed by the music.

BTW, at the time I was turned off when Eddie gave his speech during Bu$hleaguer, but in hindsight he was right!

islandersfan1677

Jan 7, 2011
jungleland

I've seen pj 10 times since 03 and never once has ed gone on a rant for over 5 min. The band has always been into politics every since day one. Sounds like to me you hate them cuz they were "your" band till the masses came along.

islandersfan1677

Jan 7, 2011
jungleland
Agreed, 1991-2006

Thats a great 15 year run. But they are pissing on their legacy and there's no need for their cult fanbase to maintain that they are better than ever.
they are better than ever. How many artist do u know that can sell out 2 nights at msg in 20 min or damn near sell out arenas worldwide with little to no press at all?

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
they are better than ever. How many artist do u know that can sell out 2 nights at msg in 20 min or damn near sell out arenas worldwide with little to no press at all?

They have a cult following. They couldn't even sell out the prudential center and don't have enough fan support nationally outside of the northeast, Chicago, and the West Coast to do a proper tour

They also sound horrid compared back to 5 years ago

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

They have a cult following. They couldn't even sell out the prudential center and don't have enough fan support nationally outside of the northeast, Chicago, and the West Coast to do a proper tour

And the reality probably lies somewhere in between these two posts...

islandersfan1677

Jan 7, 2011
jungleland

they always wanted a cult following cuz that cult will lap up anything they do or release as merch. It's a smart business move. just like its a smart business move to play those area's you mentioned

That show at the rock was announced at the last minute possible. Oddly enough the setlist turned out to be decent.

Albums wise they have sucked since riot act( what I consider the last great pj album)but live wise they're on par with springsteen and eband or when Billy Joel tours.

Also how many bands do u know release every tour they do on cd? I can think of 2 other bands around today that do that.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa

Headlining Central Park, I hear, in September

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

There are few artists in rock history, let alone on the current american music scene, let alone stars as high profile as eddie/pearl jam, who are more fan friendly and do more to make their art accessible to their fans.

I'm really into rock, 1960s through the grunge era, and a huge pearl jam fan. I have friends who love all sorts of bands from that era and spend countless hours hunting down obscure bootlegs. Pearl Jam has literally put every single concert they've done from the last decade on itunes, and released official "bootlegs" of many more. This is also a band that has been touring for well more than 20 years now, and still plays 3+ hour setlists at all their concerts. Being a massive pearl jam fan is the most privileged fandom imaginable, from the perspective of how the fans treated by the band. To say Pearl Jam or Eddie has contempt for their fans is the furthest thing from reality ever.

Nassau ain't NYC EV
Yup **** him. When I go to a concert I dont want to hear some ******* who can sing talk about wars/politics. Just because your famous doesnt mean you have to jam your views down peoples throats. Used to love PJ too. I am there to be entertained. if I wanted to listen to someone about politics I would go to a debate or watch TV.

Also, re: the complaints about Pearl Jam's politics — this photo was of Eddie during the band's MTV unplugged set in 1992. It's fine if it's not your thing, and it's totally fine if you vehemently disagree and find it so distasteful that it turns you off their music entirely. But it's not like this hasn't been a core part of their identity since forever:

pro-choice1.jpg

Pearl Jam, and to a lesser extent the 80s/early 90s Seattle music scene, was always heavily infused by an explicitly left-wing sense of social awareness/political activism. It's utterly bizzare to complain about Pearl Jam's politics as if it's in some way incidental to their music — it's been a subtle and often not-so-subtle part of both their stage/media presence and their literal song lyrics since the early days of Ten/Vs./Vitalogy. It's like complaining that Springsteen sings too many songs about alienated members of the working class, or that you went to a Skynyrd concert just to be entertained, not listen to a bunch of songs about the South, or that you really like Neil Young but wish he'd stop singing stuff that's so anti-Nixon. Would it really make sense to say, "I love David Bowie, but wish he'd ditch the pan-sexual brit act"? For better or worse, lefty causes are an absolutely core aspect of the band's identity, not some vanity side project being imposed on fans. If it's not something you want to deal with, then Pearl Jam probably isn't the band for you. Which is totally OK.

I remember a music critic I respect once wrote about Jimmy Buffet something along the lines of: "I don't deny he knows how to put on a good show, it just isn't my kind of show." If you respect Pearl Jam musically, but don't care for their politics, just accept that maybe Pearl Jam just isn't for you. They certainly don't owe it to anyone to alter their identity, and it's sort of nonsensical to request that they somehow could strip their act of politics and "stick to music" when it's infused their music and act from day one.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->