Peak Ovechkin-Malkin-Datsyuk vs. Peak MacKinnon-Crosby-McDavid?

Which line would would you take for your team this season if all were at their peaks and healthy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well over the last 2 seasons and this season he has a line of 154-72-97-169 plus 54 which translates into a 38-52-90 plus 29 line over a 82 game season.

Furthermore he has elite selke winning Caliber defense over that time period.

Sure Malkin and Ovy might have more points today but their defensive game would be dwarfed by a peak Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand line which has already proven chemistry on the world stage.

Marchand by the way is on pace to have a higher adjusted points season that either Malkin or Ovy ever had but I expect him to slip slightly but still top his 100 adjusted point season from last year.

Like I said on paper the Russian trio does look better but in real life chemistry is an important component when making up a line.

True, but they would be up against a possibly 70 goal scorer and a couple 130 point players if it was Malkin and Ovechkin in full seasons today at their peak, with a 100+ Selke winner on their line. That's not even accounting for the fact their point totals could be even higher playing together like Marchand, Bergeron and Pastrnak do. That being said I think a peak Crosby with Bergeron and Marchand on a line would stack up pretty well on the ice against any 3 other forwards in NHL history.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
At their peaks you can definitely argue Malkin and Ovechkin as having the highest peaks here. Depends how much value you put on Crosbys injured years. To be fair, if Crosby finishes those seasons the way he was playing him, hes probably the top dog here however you cant just assume he would either. I also think whenMalkin is fully on his game, hes the hardest guy to contain in the NHL.

So I'll say..

Malkin/Ovechkin/Crosby are roughly equal at their peaks.
McDavid
Datsyuk
Mackinnon

I think the Russian group is actually the most balanced as well. More physical, Datsyuk at center gives them much more two way ability, going to get the most consistent goal scoring from OV etc. So ignoring things like chemistry and going on each players own merits I think the Russians win here most of the time. The Canadians have enough talent to win out in a single game but if I had to guess, if they played 100 times, the Russians are winning ~65 of those games. Not a huge edge, but an edge for sure. I'm Canadian by the way

Reactions: Hint1k

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
At their peaks it's:
Crosby
Malkin/OV
McDavid
MacKinnon
Datsyuk

Pretty good poll OP, I guess it depends on how big you think the gap is between each level.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
The poll has it about right. There are two legendary players on each side, and one lesser player that's still awesome. But, at the end of the day, it's still going to be Crosby passing the torch to McDavid. And yes, I agree that at their very peaks, this contest is much closer than most people think.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

ImJustJokinen

Vinnie Desharnais for Hart Ross
Apr 7, 2019
Cup Parade
McDavid has not had a season like Malkin did in 2012.
If that's all Malkin has to show for his peak stats wise, that's nothing compared to McDavid. 75gp 109pts (Malkin 2012) vs 78gp 116 pts (McDavid last season), and McDavid is projecting to blow past last season's numbers. McDavid most definitely has had a Malkin like 2012 season, and hasn't even reached his ceiling yet.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
If that's all Malkin has to show for his peak stats wise, that's nothing compared to McDavid. 75gp 109pts (Malkin 2012) vs 78gp 116 pts (McDavid last season), and McDavid is projecting to blow past last season's numbers. McDavid most definitely has had a Malkin like 2012 season, and hasn't even reached his ceiling yet.
Scoring is up compared to 2012. You're not comparing apples to apples.

I have yet to see McDavid dominate like 2009 playoffs/2012 Malkin (or peak OV/Sid either).

Reactions: sanscosm

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Adam Oates has a 140 point season guess he's better then everyone playing today

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Malkin's 11/12 is the 2nd best season of the post lockout era, McDavid's 18/19 doesn't even sniff the top 10, probably not even top 20.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Malkin's 11/12 is the 2nd best season of the post lockout era, McDavid's 18/19 doesn't even sniff the top 10, probably not even top 20.

I have it at 12th, although some would bump it down seeing as how the Oilers couldn't make the playoffs. Eh, I don't know how much more McDavid could have done.

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
That being said I think a peak Crosby with Bergeron and Marchand on a line would stack up pretty well on the ice against any 3 other forwards in NHL history.

I don't think these three would stand a chance against Howe, Gretzky, and Lemieux (all at their best) or am I missing some kind of context here?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think these three would stand a chance against Howe, Gretzky, and Lemieux (all at their best) or am I missing some kind of context here?

Well we saw the Russian team of 87 go toe to toe with 2 of them atleast, and it was pretty close even though they came out on top. I would expect something similar against Crosby, Bergeron and Marchand who are even better than a Krutov, Makarov and Larionov line.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Well we saw the Russian team of 87 go toe to toe with 2 of them atleast, and it was pretty close even though they came out on top. I would expect something similar against Crosby, Bergeron and Marchand who are even better than a Krutov, Makarov and Larionov line.

While that's true, KLM played together regularly. Gretzky and Lemieux were just put together for 87. What happens if you add Howe, who is the most well rounded player of the three and still an offensive dynamo in his own right, and then allow them to learn each others' nuances over say two seasons? I believe that gap widens substantially.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
While that's true, KLM played together regularly. Gretzky and Lemieux were just put together for 87. What happens if you add Howe, who is the most well rounded player of the three and still an offensive dynamo in his own right, and then allow them to learn each others' nuances over say two seasons? I believe that gap widens substantially.

No argument there.

Reactions: Thenameless

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Mackinon
Datsyuk

the Malkin- ovechkin- datsyuk trio never won anything for Russia

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Mackinon
Datsyuk

the Malkin- ovechkin- datsyuk trio never won anything for Russia

Well, that's not exactly a reflection on how good they are 3 versus 3 at their respective peaks. There is that issue of it being a team game, with Canada being a lot deeper than every other country, especially on defense in recent years. That 2014 Team Canada was impossible to score on.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Well, that's not exactly a reflection on how good they are 3 versus 3 at their respective peaks. There is that issue of it being a team game, with Canada being a lot deeper than every other country, especially on defense in recent years. That 2014 Team Canada was impossible to score on.
Ovechkin and malkin play like hot garbage together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad