Peak Ovechkin-Malkin-Datsyuk vs. Peak MacKinnon-Crosby-McDavid?

Which line would would you take for your team this season if all were at their peaks and healthy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Canadian trio.

Few reasons why. It certainly helps that i'm a fan of Crosby (so personal preference) - and also hurts that Malkin/Ovechkin have done so poorly together historically when playing together.

The idea of Crosby/McDavid or Crosby/Mack or Mack/McDavid duo sounds explosive and amazing. Malkin/Ovechkin? As great as they are individually - it just doesn't excite me based on history.

Datsyuk was also a pretty great player but is arguably the weakest one here. So he doesn't make up for Malkin/Ovi's lack of chemistry/success.

Reactions: wetcoast

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Canadian trio.

Few reasons why. It certainly helps that i'm a fan of Crosby (so personal preference) - and also hurts that Malkin/Ovechkin have done so poorly together historically when playing together.

The idea of Crosby/McDavid or Crosby/Mack or Mack/McDavid duo sounds explosive and amazing. Malkin/Ovechkin? As great as they are individually - it just doesn't excite me based on history.

Datsyuk was also a pretty great player but is arguably the weakest one here. So he doesn't make up for Malkin/Ovi's lack of chemistry/success.

They were said to have a beef in real life but we hardly got to see them play together during their time in the NHL, atleast on the same line. If both were on the same line together at their peaks it's hard to imagine them being anything less than utterly dominant, but I'm not saying your opinion is necessarily wrong.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
If I had to individually rank the peaks of these players so far:

Ovechkin
Crosby/Malkin/McDavid (some combo of this)
Datsyuk
MacKinnon

On paper it should easily be the Russians, as they would have the best offensive weapon (Ovi), the best Defensive guy (Datsyuk) who could also produce offence like MacKinnon. And then Peak Malkin is just as good as McDavid or Crosby.

But as poster said above, Ovi and Malkin have proven not to mesh well together on the same line, so in a practical standpoint, it could be a lot closer, or even an edge to the Canadian group.

Weird set of bias for me as a Canadian who loves the caps, hates the pens and does not care for Russia much.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Depends entirely on rink size, in the smaller canadian trio is better (not due to being canadian) and vice versa.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
As a line? The Canadians.

Very interesting question on which set of three is better at their peaks. McDavid's peak is obviously still pending, but right now he's not head and shoulders above Malkin by any means, and MacKinnon hasn't hit Datsyuk's peak either.

A Datsyuk vs McDavid playoff series in their primes would've been absolutely fascinating to see.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Canada because Ovechkin doesnt belong alongside these elite players never was useful Malkin also never was as good as Crosby/Mcdavid

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
As a line? The Canadians.

Very interesting question on which set of three is better at their peaks. McDavid's peak is obviously still pending, but right now he's not head and shoulders above Malkin by any means, and MacKinnon hasn't hit Datsyuk's peak either.

A Datsyuk vs McDavid playoff series in their primes would've been absolutely fascinating to see.

That Pittsburgh vs. Washington series that went to game 7 and Ovechkin had 14 points to Crosby's 13 was some of the most entertaining hockey I've seen.

Reactions: Khomutov

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Going off their peak seasons:
OV
Malkin
Crosby/McDavid
Datsyuk
MacK

It's Russia. Not sure why people are talking about the lack of chemistry between OV and Malkin though when the Canadians seem like a worse fit. I know it's peak, but OV can still play like he does today (sniper and physical monster), Malkin can carry the puck and Datsyuk can just sit back and cover them. McDavid and MacK both rely on their speed and excel at carrying the puck. Crosby plays a completely different game than both of them. There is no elite sniper, no elite defensive player (peak Crosby was not the defensive player he is today) and no physical presence on that line. Neither of these lines will have chemistry so the logical thing is to pick the line with the better players and that's Russia.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
While the Russians have shown no chemistry, none of the Canadian players are good at defense. I would never put either group together on a line.

Peak-wise it's:

Ovechkin

Malkin

Crosby/McDavid
MacKinnon/Datsyuk

So I'd take the Russians.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I feel like Datsyuk would be better fitted as the center on that line. Let Ovechkin forecheck and Malkin free, then Datsyuk plays the more defensive role/ready to steal a pass.

Reactions: ujju2 and authentic

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Where's the option for Crosby, Bergeron and Marchand?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
While the Russians have shown no chemistry, none of the Canadian players are good at defense. I would never put either group together on a line.

Peak-wise it's:

Ovechkin

Malkin

Crosby/McDavid
MacKinnon/Datsyuk

Haha I love how you have that gap between Ovechkin and Malkin and then another gap over Crosby/McDavid.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Peak-wise it's:

Ovechkin

Malkin

Crosby/McDavid
MacKinnon/Datsyuk

I was expecting this post and it's even better (as in worse) than I expected it to be.

I also really wonder what you are using for the term "peak" for the above gaps between OV/Malkin and Crosby because nothing in reality resembles those gaps..

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Marchand and especially Bergeron belong nowhere near this poll.

On paper perhaps not on the surface but peak Bergeron is a 90 point elite selke center who really drives the play and Marchand as a 100 point intangibles type of player.

But the biggest advantage this group has is chemistry and I'd take them over the russian trio as a line (but not as individual players).

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
On paper perhaps not on the surface but peak Bergeron is a 90 point elite selke center who really drives the play and Marchand as a 100 point intangibles type of player.

But the biggest advantage this group has is chemistry and I'd take them over the russian trio as a line (but not as individual players).

Bergeron has never even scored 80pts so I don't know where you're getting "90pt Selke C" from. Marchand scored 100 today sure, but peak OV and Malkin played when scoring was way down, can't compare raw totals. Those guys at peak would be ~130pts today.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bergeron has never even scored 80pts so I don't know where you're getting "90pt Selke C" from. Marchand scored 100 today sure, but peak OV and Malkin played when scoring was way down, can't compare raw totals. Those guys at peak would be ~130pts today.

Well over the last 2 seasons and this season he has a line of 154-72-97-169 plus 54 which translates into a 38-52-90 plus 29 line over a 82 game season.

Furthermore he has elite selke winning Caliber defense over that time period.

Sure Malkin and Ovy might have more points today but their defensive game would be dwarfed by a peak Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand line which has already proven chemistry on the world stage.

Marchand by the way is on pace to have a higher adjusted points season that either Malkin or Ovy ever had but I expect him to slip slightly but still top his 100 adjusted point season from last year.

Like I said on paper the Russian trio does look better but in real life chemistry is an important component when making up a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad