GDT: PDF/WCSF Sharks (3) vs Golden Knights (1) Round 2 GAME THREE 7pm NBCSN

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
They're basing that change on how he did with Pavelski at the end of game 2 after they shuffled their lines and shortened their bench. Tierney did well enough with Pavelski to hold his own against Vegas. If both Thornton and Donskoi are out, their options are limited and adding Kane into the lineup for Donskoi means that that line needs playmaking capability which Tierney does bring. That Nashville game was an outlier for many reasons but it doesn't mean anything now. I think Tierney with Pavs and Kane is better suited to go up potentially against the Karlsson line and to a lesser extent the Haula line than he would against a line centered by Ryan Johansen who can do pretty much everything Tierney can but better while being better at puck-battling that I don't think Karlsson would be.

Tierney likely takes the majority of his shifts against Haula; DeBoer is almost definitely going to maximize the time that Couture and Vlasic spend on the ice against Karlsson.

One sliver of optimism regarding tonight’s lack of Donskoi is that we totally dominated Vegas in San Jose near the end of the season without Donskoi. The only difference in lineups is we currently have Sorensen in for Hansen, which is an improvement.

In that game, we actually played Pavelski with Kane and Karlsson, which is obviously hideous, and they struggled to go above 50% in some metrics.

Weren’t we playing Tierney with Kane and Pavelski for half of Kane’s dick trick? IIRC, that line started off with Hansen on the RW, and then we switched the lines to put Tierney up there. I think Hansen assisted on goal #1 and Tierney assisted on goal #3.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It seems like a common theme with Pete is to give him credit when he does things we like and then to claim something like arrogance when he does something we don't like. I am all for constructive criticism but some of this is a little out there. Could it be that maybe he has a different perspective than armchair GMs posting on a fan board?

That out of the way... I am expecting a big effort from Kane tonight and will be loving every minute of it.

Ryan hasn't played in 6 weeks or so. Throwing him in now would be risky. You can't really hide a rusty defenseman like you can a forward. All this griping is the same griping that every fanbase has with their coach. Paul Maurice plays Matt Hendricks and Toby Enstrom for example.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Ryan hasn't played in 6 weeks or so. Throwing him in now would be risky. You can't really hide a rusty defenseman like you can a forward. All this griping is the same griping that every fanbase has with their coach. Paul Maurice plays Matt Hendricks and Toby Enstrom for example.
Only one way to make him not rusty and even then, I'd take rusty Ryan over 10 minutes of Martin.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

No Jumbo, no Donkey

jumbo should be ready by some point in this series right? Or is it pretty hush hush still?

Sucks donskoi is out... hes a fun player to watch.... kinda reminds me of Ondrej Kase in Anaheim.

Either way good luck tonight! Game 2 was a lot more of what I expected from the sharks. Hopefully the HP crowd gets the team pumped up and to a fast start.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

There's a part of me that would want to dress 7 defensemen in this kind of situation just to put more of the burden on the forwards to play more than the defensemen when we're only icing 4.5 d-men near the end of game two. That way you can at least work out the Ryan rust and ramp up his minutes as he gets into a rhythm that could potentially add a d-man that can be relied on and lead to sitting Martin.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Only one way to make him not rusty and even then, I'd take rusty Ryan over 10 minutes of Martin.

I wonder if he plays more tonight due to being able to control shifts a bit more. To be honest what DeBoer is doing isn't that different than what Lavi does with his blue line.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

I don't know about that. Dude's always eating and seems a little soft.

Rusty_20Ryan_large.png

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I wonder if he plays more tonight due to being able to control shifts a bit more. To be honest what DeBoer is doing isn't that different than what Lavi does with his blue line.

Drew Doughty plays like 30 mins a game in the playoffs and seems to be able to handle it physically. Playing Burns, Braun, and Vlasic 30 mins isn't normal for them so I hope it doesn't run them into the ground.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Drew Doughty plays like 30 mins a game in the playoffs and seems to be able to handle it physically. Playing Burns, Braun, and Vlasic 30 mins isn't normal for them so I hope it doesn't run them into the ground.

36 minutes in a double OT game isn't that crazy tbh. As it stands right now both Vlasic and Burns are right around their ATOI season averages. I think some are overreacting because they get double shifted in the 3rd period.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Vlasic and Braun did one last year against the Oilers and once in 2016 against the Preds (the 3OT game). I'm not terribly concerned about Burns playing 30+ because a good chunk of those minutes are PP minutes and they're not as taxing. But Vlasic and Braun certainly are concerning if it becomes a thing but in a situation like that, you're doing what you have to in order to win. The goal is to get the score in a situation where you can rest them. If they get smoked or are smoking the other team, they need to sit.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Watching Vlasic on the bench after that OT winner tells a lot haha guy didn't even want to get off the bench to celebrate

Reactions: ChompChomp

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Watching Vlasic on the bench after that OT winner tells a lot haha guy didn't even want to get off the bench to celebrate

I thought that was a classic Vlasic response. A couple fits pumps for the win, a sigh for the game being over but an understanding that the road is long and their journey has just begun.

Reactions: SharkAttack86

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Regardless of all the lineup stuff, now that we have a win against VGK, and VGK finally has a playoff loss, and one that stings, I'm back to my normal playoff excitement and just hopeful that with Kane back, the Sharks destroy VGK and take command of the series.

GO SHARKS!!!!!

Sharks currently responsible for the worst moment in LVK history <3

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
There's a part of me that would want to dress 7 defensemen in this kind of situation just to put more of the burden on the forwards to play more than the defensemen when we're only icing 4.5 d-men near the end of game two. That way you can at least work out the Ryan rust and ramp up his minutes as he gets into a rhythm that could potentially add a d-man that can be relied on and lead to sitting Martin.
or just dont be a shitty coach and keep your players out for no reason. He should have been splitting time with Martin over the last few weeks of the season.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
or just dont be a ****ty coach and keep your players out for no reason. He should have been splitting time with Martin over the last few weeks of the season.

Or at the very least played in a season finale. Getting guys that haven't played in a while time was more important than whether we had home ice in the first round.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I hope the tank is packed and rockin tonight...show Vegas how it's really done!! Lets Go Boys!!

Be nice if they showed the pre game hype up stuff on the broadcast, they usually don't but showed Vegas's twice. Sharks pre game in the Stanley Cup final a few years ago could make a Sharks fan cry it was so good haha

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I would love to see the Sharks score a few on 5 on 5 and win in regulation. Being at home should help in that regard. Also, don't let Vegas dictate the first period. That's what got the Sharks in trouble the first two games.

Reactions: SharkAttack86

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
With Goodrow at 3C, does that mean Tierney is taking over Donskoi's spot next to Pavelski?

More or less but I suspect these lines will fluctuate after a bit because Goodrow with Meier and Labanc is probably going to get worked over pretty good.

68 Z-28

Jul 10, 2007
Under the Tank
Be nice if they showed the pre game hype up stuff on the broadcast, they usually don't but showed Vegas's twice. Sharks pre game in the Stanley Cup final a few years ago could make a Sharks fan cry it was so good haha
It was amazing in person. And I doubt they show the full intro. We aren’t the Knights, though I’m sure game 5 will be shown in its entirety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad