GDT: PDF/WCSF Sharks (3) vs Golden Knights (1) Round 2 GAME THREE 7pm NBCSN

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
IF Thornton plays, he can NOT be on the same like and Pavelski... That's too damn slow of a line. He needs to be with two fast skaters.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
IF Thornton plays, he can NOT be on the same like and Pavelski... That's too damn slow of a line. He needs to be with two fast skaters.

If Thornton comes in, I'd probably put him with Meier and Sorensen on the 3rd line and try Tierney up top again with Pavs and Kane after lighting a fire under his ass for his performance in game 3.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
If Thornton comes in, I'd probably put him with Meier and Sorensen on the 3rd line and try Tierney up top again with Pavs and Kane after lighting a fire under his ass for his performance in game 3.

Assuming Donskoi can’t go

Kane-Pavs-Tierney
Couture-Hertl-Boedker
Meier-Thornton-Sorensen
Goodrow-Fehr-Karlsson

Not terrible and keeps Thornton sheltered

Reactions: Phu

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
The more I watch the game winner the worse it gets. Burns is in perfect position to pick up Neal and Martin could have easily picked up Karlsson. Instead he tries to put it all on Burns and basically run away. The only reason I can think he would do that is he had no confidence in his speed and thought the speedy Karlsson was going to walk him.

A 2 on 2 quickly turned into a breakaway because of Martin's bonehead play and lack of speed. If your "veteran" is ganna make mental errors with the game on the line, why not just play the rookie with superior athleticism, speed, and skill? Ryan HAS to play game 4, like really he has to.

Reactions: Phu and Bizz

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'd put Heed in there over DeMelo but I know that's not going to happen. If it's between DeMelo and Martin then I'm taking DeMelo at this point as well. The problem is that no matter what choice you make, that 3rd pairing is dead in the water and it will catch up to the team at some point.

I honestly think that Dillon and Heed would look strong together immediately.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Even ignoring the fact that Martin is a liability on the ice, it's even more impactful because it's overworking our top D. Deboer obviously doesn't trust Martin on the ice anyway based on minutes.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
They were amazing together and looked like the best 3rd pair we have had in years.

The only other fantastic 3rd pairing I can recall is having is Dillon-Schlemko. It’s almost like the Sharks organization is just allergic to icing strong 3rd pairings. They have a defenseman who is paid like a 3rd pairing guy and has proven he can excel in that role with the right partner. We literally had two different players on our roster in 2017 who were “the right partner” - we gave one of them up to Vegas and DeBoer sent the other one to Siberia.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Heed has his warts and he hasn't played in over two months. I don't think they'd look strong together immediately but I think they could build into it as it goes along but not if that opportunity never presents itself obviously. All I know is that this setup is not working and there's nothing about either Martin or DeMelo that should make anyone believe that it can get better.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I really can’t believe that Deboer chose to scratch two of the best puck moving defenseman on the Sharks for 6 weeks now. If you want to play fast, play fast with the puck, making passes. Chipping and chasing doesn’t have to be the default. The puck movement with the current 6 dmen is below average.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I really can’t believe that Deboer chose to scratch two of the best puck moving defenseman on the Sharks for 6 weeks now. If you want to play fast, play fast with the puck, making passes. Chipping and chasing doesn’t have to be the default. The puck movement with the current 6 dmen is below average.

It's a big reason why I want them to go out and sign someone like Mike Green. He certainly has his warts but I have more belief that they'll at least play Ryan next year but they probably won't with Heed especially if DeMelo is still around. The only way to push DeMelo out of the lineup is to get someone so very obviously better than him or have the GM remove him and I don't know if DW has the stones for that. It's easier for someone like Martin when he's done and old but DeMelo is young and young darlings of coaches are harder to justify removing.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It's a big reason why I want them to go out and sign someone like Mike Green. He certainly has his warts but I have more belief that they'll at least play Ryan next year but they probably won't with Heed especially if DeMelo is still around. The only way to push DeMelo out of the lineup is to get someone so very obviously better than him or have the GM remove him and I don't know if DW has the stones for that. It's easier for someone like Martin when he's done and old but DeMelo is young and young darlings of coaches are harder to justify removing.
I'm all for making some kind of change in that regard. It's funny, when the Sharks were playing lockdown defense, the complaint was how the Sharks couldn't score but had very strong defensive depth. Now scoring is way up, but the defense is a shitshow. I really question the assessment of the Sharks personnel by the coaching staff. The "8" NHL defensemen on the roster to begin the season worked well in a more defensive minded system. Now with the systematic changes to increase offense a large number of them are not suited for the system. Dillon, Demelo, Braun and Martin simply are not suited for the style the Sharks want to play. Burns is Burns, and Vlasic can exist in any system, but those 4 are far too limited in their offensive abilities, passing etc. to handle the current system. Heed and Ryan are far more suited to play the current system and they're in the pressbox. I really question the coaching staff's basic understanding of the system they're trying to run, and the best way to execute it with the personnel they have.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm all for making some kind of change in that regard. It's funny, when the Sharks were playing lockdown defense, the complaint was how the Sharks couldn't score but had very strong defensive depth. Now scoring is way up, but the defense is a ****show. I really question the assessment of the Sharks personnel by the coaching staff. The "8" NHL defensemen on the roster to being the season worked well in a more defensive minded system. Now with the systematic changes to increase offense a large number of them are not suited for the system. Dillon, Demelo, Braun and Martin simply are not suited for the style the Sharks want to play. Burns is Burns, and Vlasic can exist in any system, but those 4 are far too limited in their offensive abilities, passing etc. to handle the current system. Heed and Ryan are far more suited to play the current system and they're in the pressbox. I really question the coaching staff's basic understanding of the system they're trying to run, and the best way to execute it with the personnel they have.

Braun may be limited in the offensive aspect of things but there's still a place for him here so long as he continues to break out the puck well enough and defend well enough. He's not like Dillon where those things are legitimately in question and even if they were, they have to be kept in perspective based on his competition. If Braun started to wane in effectiveness in his current role, he could easily drop to the 3rd pairing and be very effective. Dillon has problems on the 3rd pairing which generally equals a ticket out of town when you make what he makes and realize that he's at an age where getting better is unlikely and a style of play that tends to decline quickly like one Douglas Murray did. The problem is of course getting the right guys. They need a lefty that is an actual threat from the point and have needed one for a long time. Vlasic can produce but he's never been a threat. I liked Heed because he was a threat from the point even with his defensive and physical shortcomings. I feel the team needs that more than they need another stiff that nobody needs to look out for. The blue line was really effective when Boyle and either Blake or Burns were options. It opens ice for your forwards and becomes matchup problems. It's why I would support a Karlsson acquisition almost regardless of the cost as well.

Reactions: Lebanezer

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
If Vlasic and Braun are this tired already, imagine if the series against the Ducks went 6 or 7 games and they didn't get a week of rest. Doughty and Keith played 28-30 minutes a night regular season+playoffs and they seemed fine. Maybe the Sharks players need to work on their conditioning. Thanks, Mike Potenza.

If anybody on this board has a seat behind the Sharks bench can you make a sign that says "Free Joakim Ryan" and make sure Deboer sees it. That arrogant prick.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Vlasic and Braun are this tired already, imagine if the series against the Ducks went 6 or 7 games and they didn't get a week of rest. Doughty and Keith played 28-30 minutes a night regular season+playoffs and they seemed fine. Maybe the Sharks players need to work on their conditioning. Thanks, Mike Potenza.

If anybody on this board has a seat behind the Sharks bench can you make a sign that says "Free Joakim Ryan" and make sure Deboer sees it. That arrogant prick.

Duncan Keith never played 28-30 minutes a night during the regular season. Doughty did for a couple years and Doughty only played 30 minutes a night in the playoffs once and that was against us in 5 games and he looked like crap. But even if they did, Vlasic and Braun are not Keith and Doughty...especially Braun. The answer isn't to condition them to do that. The answer is to make it to where they don't have to.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013

I'm about one Paul Martin mistake away from crowd funding a billboard :banghead:

Reactions: Phu and WSS11

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Look, I totally agree with you, but there are some caveats. Firstly while Jones has been pretty mediocre this series, he has a history of playoff excellence. I think he deserves a little bit of the benefit of the doubt.

With Burns, again, not superb, but he did take over game 2. He’s playing a ton of minutes and a lot of those are with aforementioned pylons, Martin and Dillon.

Obviously those two have to step it up, but I’m not sure it’s fair to single them out at this juncture. Obviously Fleury is outplaying Jones and that’s the only reason that we’re down 2-1, but Fleury is also playing unconscious.

I’m not saying we should sit Jones or Burns going forward, or that they should be traded or anything. That’s the benefit of the doubt. But their play in this series has not been up to par.

Fleury is playing very well, but the Sharks need to challenge him more. They’ve struggled to get to the net and get rebounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00